Don't Open, Dead Inside: "The Walking Dead" Discussion/Reaction/Anticipation Thread

Original Poster
[CENTER]

[LEFT]Since news seems to be coming out weekly, the premiere being only a few months away, and it might, it just might give Breaking Bad a run for its money for the best show on the air.

Latest new is that Sol from Snatch is playing Morgan.

Also, some were worried that it might hold back on the gore since it's on AMC and not HBO or Showtime (well, Dexter did scale back on gore the past couple of season), but we shouldn't worry:

[QUOTE]Comic series creator Kirkman can't believe it either, "The stuff that AMC is going to put on air is crazy," he says. "They keep showing me things and I?m like, you?re not doing that. They rip a horse open and there?s just spaghetti coming out," says Kirkman. "They actually have things that you see."

The show which is being shot on Super 16 mm is going for a gritty look and in one of the scenes at the hospital, more gore is ever present. Bloody Disgusting described the shot of a dead nurse in horrific detail, "Her body is totally massacred, blood streaked and splattered all around her, a dark pool around her corpse. Some of her ribs are exposed and all that remains of one leg is a bloody stump."[/QUOTE]Also, Michelle Maxwell MacLaren (director of some Breaking Bad episodes and producer on The X-Files) will be directing some future episodes.
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
Jul 9, 2010 7:15 AM
0 0
My most anticipated show of the year. The news just keeps getting better and better.
Jul 9, 2010 7:44 AM
0 0
Good idea to start a thread.

Still reading the comic books and loving them.
Jul 9, 2010 8:50 AM
0 0
I'm lukewarm to the comic overall (even though the first TPB is one of the best of the decade), but the show is getting me really excited. Every new detail they give us just makes it sound better and better.
Jul 9, 2010 8:53 AM
0 0
That poster is awesome. And Sol as Morgan's awesome as well; he has the chops, and looks a lot like him as well. Let's hope that the show stays on-air long enough for [SPOILER]Morgan's return[/SPOILER]. And :up: for the gore. I'm intrigued if Kirkman himself is taken aback, as his gore (especially in Invincible) is often shockingly explicit.
Jul 9, 2010 9:01 AM
0 0
I can't wait for this to air. I got turned onto the comics on a whim. I think I might have bought the first two volumes as light reading material on an airplane. I was hooked.

I haven't missed a volume since. So far, the cast is looking great. I hope it runs long enough to cover the material. I hope some of the stars have read ahead before making long term plans. Kirkman pull no punches, and folks you think that are in it for the long haul are killed in the blink of an eye.:eek:
Jul 9, 2010 9:24 AM
0 0
I can't wait for this show to start.
Jul 9, 2010 9:41 AM
0 0
I know very little of the overall story, but I'm pretty interested in this. And I'm not a huge zombie film fan--so this says a lot.
Jul 9, 2010 9:46 AM
0 0
Impavido;18464471I know very little of the overall story, but I'm pretty interested in this. And I'm not a huge zombie film fan--so this says a lot.

The story isn't terribly complicated, so don't worry about any daunting dive into it. Main character's a cop who awakes from a month-long coma to find the world has been overrun by zombies. The origin of the zombies is unknown. It's a lengthy survivor's tale that largely garnered attention for the fact that no one is safe in the series- anyone can die at any time, and no character (women, children, whoever) is more safe than another.
Jul 9, 2010 9:55 AM
0 0
gilaskan;18464481The story isn't terribly complicated, so don't worry about any daunting dive into it. Main character's a cop who awakes from a month-long coma to find the world has been overrun by zombies. The origin of the zombies is unknown. It's a lengthy survivor's tale that largely garnered attention for the fact that no one is safe in the series- anyone can die at any time, and no character (women, children, whoever) is more safe than another.

I read a spec script and I was pretty flabbergasted at the honest brutality towards the characters. Which beyond surprising the audience, adds some realism and genuine terror in my opinion.
Jul 9, 2010 9:58 AM
0 0
Impavido;18464487I read a spec script and I was pretty flabbergasted at the honest brutality towards the characters. Which beyond surprising the audience, adds some realism and genuine terror in my opinion.

That's what hooked me into the series. I was expecting,
"Oh noez! t3h wurl has gon 2 t3h zumb33z!"
"Ah, a zumb33z! r4n fur it!"
<<<blam blam blam blam>>
"Well that wuz a cloze wun! Ev3ry 1 iz akounted 4....'cept that on3 guy no 1 liked."

Thank God I was wrong

Right from the get go, it's very clear that world is an extremely dangerous place where anyone at anytime can be killed. Be it by accident, one misstep, violence of man, or even suicidal disparage.

I also liked the fact that very early on it is shown that [SPOILER]anyone who dies in this world (be it from bite, or gunshot wound, or old age) is going to come back as a zombie. It's only a matter of time for ALL of us.[/SPOILER] That in fact the survivors are [SPOILER]The Walking Dead[/SPOILER].
Jul 9, 2010 10:23 AM
0 0
Ooh, nice poster.

I've only read the first seven issues. I have to say that I'm really, really disappointed that the artist changed from Tony Moore to Charlie Adlard. I loved Moore's pictures. Adlard's look like mere quick sketches in comparison.
Jul 9, 2010 11:19 AM
0 0
If you continue, you'll get used to it. Going back to the first issues, I find I now greatly prefer Adlard to Moore. I think his rougher, slightly more stylized drawing style suits the material better.
Jul 9, 2010 11:48 AM
0 0
I literally just finished reading Vol. 1 this morning, pretty pumped for the show.
Jul 9, 2010 11:55 AM
0 0
strangeneighbor;18464605Ooh, nice poster.

I've only read the first seven issues. I have to say that I'm really, really disappointed that the artist changed from Tony Moore to Charlie Adlard. I loved Moore's pictures. Adlard's look like mere quick sketches in comparison.

I agree. However, I guess if you look at it as a glass-half-full, the sketchy artwork kind of lends itself to the story. It sort of represents how bleak and scuzzy and rough around the edges the world has become.

..but you're right, i did like the earlier art style better.
Jul 9, 2010 11:58 AM
0 0
strangeneighbor;18464605Ooh, nice poster.

Yeah, I'm used to Adlard now, but that's the nicest thing I can say. I still greatly prefer Moore's work. I don't really like to knock artists' style, but when you have another to directly compare it's hard not to pick favorites and why you don't like the other. Adlard's style feels really loose with too broad linework and too much reliance on heavy shadow, never delivering the texture and detail and consistency and emotion that Moore was able to that made his work so engaging.
Jul 9, 2010 12:20 PM
0 0
FiveStile;18464530I also liked the fact that very early on it is shown that [SPOILER]anyone who dies in this world (be it from bite, or gunshot wound, or old age) is going to come back as a zombie. It's only a matter of time for ALL of us.[/SPOILER] That in fact the survivors are [SPOILER]The Walking Dead[/SPOILER].

I remember that last spoiler being "revealed" through dialogue in a particularly ridiculous splash page. Oh, so that's what it means...
Jul 9, 2010 12:39 PM
0 0

:up:
Jul 15, 2010 3:11 PM
0 0
...jawsome.
Jul 15, 2010 3:15 PM
0 0
Sweeeeet.
Jul 15, 2010 3:23 PM
0 0