The New Official Off-topic Thread for GVDers

I wept uncontrollably during Interstellar. I guess I'd give it a thumbs up?
Nov 30, 2014 3:00 AM
0 0
I also saw Interstellar. Spoiler: Time travel is fucking stupid. I definitely teared up at the Mandatory Feel Sad Moments featuring Loud Sad Music, but I can't say any of the emotions hit me particularly deeply. It's another cold, mechanical Nolan Puzzle/Movie/Let's Play. I enjoyed the experience, there was some good scenes in there, but his movies are just so absurdly bombastic and manipulative. Collaborating with a new writer, somebody who favors a little bit of ambiguity, might do him a world of good.
Dec 3, 2014 12:06 AM
0 0
DeadScreenSkyI also saw Interstellar. Spoiler: Time travel is fucking stupid. I definitely teared up at the Mandatory Feel Sad Moments featuring Loud Sad Music, but I can't say any of the emotions hit me particularly deeply. It's another cold, mechanical Nolan Puzzle/Movie/Let's Play. I enjoyed the experience, there was some good scenes in there, but his movies are just so absurdly bombastic and manipulative. Collaborating with a new writer, somebody who favors a little bit of ambiguity, might do him a world of good.

I'm just full of emotions about your view on this. That's all I'll say since you love ambiguity so much.
Dec 6, 2014 8:15 AM
1 0
Interstellar spoilers follow:

I just read Jonah's original screenplay for Interstellar and it's interesting to see the changes Christopher made. Jonah's screenplay has aggressive forward momentum and is packed with crazy sci-fi stuff. It's also completely linear and just focuses on Cooper, so we never know what happens back on Earth after he leaves. It's obvious he was writing it for Spielberg, too, because the stuff with Cooper's kids is just a bookend that hits some of Spielberg's pet themes, and everything in between (the space stuff) is a fun mix of adventure film awe and spectacle (there's one sequence that reads like something out of Jurassic Park) and Kip Thorn's theoretical physics.

The first acts are largely similar with two big changes (the "ghost" subplot simply doesn't exist, and Cooper has two sons; Christopher made Murph a girl and made her relationship with her father and "love" the big focus, whereas Jonah's screenplay is actually about aliens!) but once Cooper leaves it's a completely different film and a much more focused adventure film at that (thematically it is again more in line with a Spielberg joint, as it shares the optimism and wonder of something like Close Encounters).

Anyways, Nolan is probably just too powerful at this point to be any other kind of filmmaker. I doubt collaborating with different writers will amount to anything since he has always worked as his own writer (Insomnia is the only exception) and it's pretty clear to me now that Jonah isn't part of the problem. Jonah's script for Interstellar isn't great but it sure as hell isn't a Christopher Nolan film. It actually blew my mind seeing how Christopher managed to take the time travel element of Jonah's screenplay (it's basically a twist ending, but is incidental to the real mystery, which involves the unanswered question of what a group of interdimensional beings are doing interfering in our universe) and turn it into a convoluted and nonsensical puzzle involving gravity, love and tesseracts built by super future humans (as much as I enjoyed the film, I can't argue with the criticism: this was easily my least favorite aspect of it). On another forum I frequent, the stupidity of the time travel elements of Interstellar has been the biggest criticism and focus of most of the debate surrounding the film. It was handled with a lot more subtlety and cleverness in Jonah's screenplay (and the interdimensional beings have nothing to do with it, whereas the future humans being the catalyst of the time travel shenanigans introduces a lot of plot problems).
Dec 8, 2014 11:37 AM
0 0
I hated that original script, it was why I was apprehensive about the film pre-release, the trailers were so discreet I had trouble telling how much he'd changed... thank God he did change it, though. Oh and I have an answer for how some of the time travel stuff makes sense that will probably just piss people off more... highlight the next section to see: when they talk evolved humans they mean the ghosts of the dead evolved
Dec 8, 2014 7:38 PM
0 0
Just got home and saw the blu-rays for Ghost in the Shell 25th and Mononoke on my doorstep. It's old-school anime day.
Feb 3, 2015 1:09 PM
0 0
Just checking to see which account this posts with.
Mar 21, 2015 6:44 PM
0 0
This board's dead, right? I guess now's the time to reveal the truth: master_cheif2 was my creation all along.
Apr 1, 2015 6:57 PM
0 0
Let's start our own little social thread here in GVD. First let's tell each other something about ourselves. Finish this sentence.

I like to...
Jul 8, 2015 9:25 PM
0 0
Eat shit. 
Aug 5, 2015 5:54 PM
0 0
Okay. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all.
Aug 17, 2015 2:08 PM
0 0
Aw man, I didn't even look at the previous post when I said that! I just felt like saying it. Then when I looked above and below, I laughed for so long I almost choked on it. Rellly. I was gasping and shit!
Dec 12, 2015 8:03 AM
0 0
Yogi BhandariThis board's dead, right? I guess now's the time to reveal the truth: master_cheif2 was my creation all along.

Who?
Jan 12, 2016 9:51 AM
0 0
Oldboy Bebop
Yogi BhandariThis board's dead, right? I guess now's the time to reveal the truth: master_cheif2 was my creation all along.

Who?

He voted for "NOT KENPORULE" in some dumb popularity contest BS thread back in like 2004 because I (think I'm remembering this right) "liked to insult me personaly and not respond to the message of my posts."
Basically it became some weird forum meme that's since been lost in time. I don't remember why he hated me but in his defense I am definitely a total fucking asshole.
Jun 22, 2016 11:42 PM
0 0

freedom of expression!!! from cover body mobil terbaik
Feb 22, 2017 5:51 PM
0 0