Rate the Last Movie You Watched: Split 3

10 Cloverfield Lane - 8/10

Now this is how it's done: claustrophobia, paranoia, smart characters in a horror film, John Goodman... all of it. Everything preceeding the climax was so good, I forgot I was watching something alluding to Cloverfield, and even that payoff was akin to the best Twilight Zone movie made yet, and it's not even found footage! I'd hate to put The MEW in jeopardy, but if it results like this, she can be terrified forever for all I care.
Oct 14, 2017 6:58 PM
0 0
Wish Upon 1/10
Oct 14, 2017 8:26 PM
0 0
American Made (Doug Liman/2017) B-

Ah. Back in the good old days when the cocaine trade was run on pagers and pay phones. It was nice to see a movie with no cel phones in sight and the only guys with computers were the CIA and the Feds. Tom Cruise was perfect in his role as a pilot who is recruited by the CIA to run guns to the Contras and gets mixed up with Pablo Escobar and the other drug lords to run their product into the USA. This is like a cliff notes version of the story and because of that doesn't get all caught up in technical jargon and stats. It's just a good ole fashioned Hollywood movie.

PS - Guess I won't be watching Wish Upon.
Oct 15, 2017 2:25 AM
0 0
Yeah don't. Its one of the worst edited movies I've seen. Lousy production values and has an ending that made me laugh so hard
Oct 15, 2017 5:04 AM
0 0
double post
Oct 15, 2017 5:04 AM
0 0
Aux yeux des vivants
Oct 15, 2017 2:12 PM
0 1
let it goAux yeux des vivants

Eat my ass.
Oct 15, 2017 3:09 PM
0 0
Death ProofEat my ass.

*ahem*

I believe that would be mange mon cul.
Oct 15, 2017 6:26 PM
0 0
The Raid: Redemption - 9/10 - One of the best films of this decade. And one of the best action films of all time.
Oct 15, 2017 6:35 PM
0 0
Steelyard Blues - 2/10 - Having seen this years ago, I had somehow built this up in my head as being far better. Not to mention entertaining. It's neither of those things of course. It's another one of those counter-culture shaggy dog stories that were probably interesting to the people buying into that particular brand of non-conformist bullshit. But to anyone else it's just fucking tiresome and scattershot and a waste of a good cast including Donald Sutherland, Jane Fonda, Peter Boyle and John Savage. But I'm sure there are other 70's era films that have held up far better than this one did. I'm gonna make a point of finding and rewatching stuff like Electra Glide In Blue, Rancho Deluxe, Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins and maybe The Deserter. That last one was a western and starred a guy named Bekim Fehmiu. That's all I remember about it other than the fact that I enjoyed it.

EDIT: Found it on IMDb. It was retitled The Devil's Backbone and co-starred a who's who of character actors including Richard Crenna, Chuck Connors, Slim Pickens, Albert Salmi, Woody Strode and even Ricardo freakin' Montalban.
Oct 15, 2017 9:21 PM
0 0
D.H.
Death ProofEat my ass.

*ahem*

I believe that would be mange mon cul.

I prefer overdub to captioning.
Oct 15, 2017 10:20 PM
0 0
D.H.The Raid: Redemption - 9/10 - One of the best films of this decade. And one of the best action films of all time.

Word - the driving sequence, kitchen fight and the hammer girl/baseball man fights are amazing.
Oct 15, 2017 10:21 PM
0 0
Dangal (2016) - 8/10
Oct 16, 2017 2:52 AM
0 0
Death Proof

Eat my ass.

You want Hazel to eat your ass? Interesting.
Oct 16, 2017 3:21 AM
0 0
last splash
Death Proof

Eat my ass.

Why haven't you been re-banned? Or died of a drug overdose? No one likes a quitter.
Oct 16, 2017 3:35 AM
0 0
Death Proof
last splash
Death Proof

Eat my ass.

Why haven't you been re-banned?

Cause your mom gives great head.
Oct 16, 2017 4:29 AM
0 0
In a world post-Hurricane Maria, we can at least attempt to watch some films!... or at least the ones we have stored in our laptops. Here are some tidbits of our attempt to return to normalcy.

Moana (2016) I had "seen" this one before with my niece, but didn't really pay much attention, what with her talking and jumping around. Anyway, I could really appreciate it this time around. Performances are great, and I love th chemistry between Moana and Maui. It's also refreshing to see an animated film with a strong female lead and no romantic subplot. Soundtrack was great too. Grade: Probably an A-

Finding Dory (2016) Another rewatch, but my wife hadn't seen it. She liked it as much as I did. Cute and earnest story, albeit a tad overlong. Anyway, I love the Hank character, and love the fact that the film doesn't follow the hero/villain structure. Grade: Still a B

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) This one, my wife had seen it. She didn't like it, but we didn't have a lot of options and weren't looking for anything deep. Still, it was pretty crappy. No chemistry between Willis and Courtney, plus their dialogue was horrible. The action was mind-numbing. A mess in almost every aspect. Grade: D+, because I finished it.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) This one, I will need to rewatch later. I dozed off through most of the middle section, which isn't a slight on the film, but rather the direct result of trying to watch a 2+ hour film at 10:30 in the dark, after a long day. Still, I did enjoy what I saw. I did get the impression, and this could be because of me dozing off, that it was a bit messier than the first one. Also, the big emotional moment with Yondu lacked any surprise, it was telegraphed from the beginning. Rocket rocks, and I loved most of the Baby Groot moments. Grade: Pending
Oct 16, 2017 11:17 AM
0 0
last splash
Death Proof
last splash
Death Proof

Eat my ass.

Why haven't you been re-banned?

Cause your mom gives great head.

Eat my ass.
Oct 16, 2017 2:04 PM
0 0
Stu
? last splashThe Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel/2017) D

I never read the book even though I once owned a first edition after tracking it down at a science fiction book shop. I do hope it's better than this godawful mess. I know it's taken them decades to finally get it to screen.

Never saw The Dark Tower movie (and possibly never will, given the response it got), but the book, while short, is a rather vivid, imaginatively dark slice of Western-themed Fantasy, and a great introduction to the world that King created. From there, the series just gets better, with the 4th book in particular, Wizard & Glass, being my favorite, though the entire series is worth reading; check 'em out sometime.

? Thief12In a world post-Hurricane Maria, we can at least attempt to watch some films!... or at least the ones we have stored in our laptops. Here are some tidbits of our attempt to return to normalcy.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) This one, I will need to rewatch later. I dozed off through most of the middle section, which isn't a slight on the film, but rather the direct result of trying to watch a 2+ hour film at 10:30 in the dark, after a long day. Still, I did enjoy what I saw. I did get the impression, and this could be because of me dozing off, that it was a bit messier than the first one. Also, the big emotional moment with Yondu lacked any surprise, it was telegraphed from the beginning. Rocket rocks, and I loved most of the Baby Groot moments. Grade: Pending

Thief! Glad to see you survived Maria, man, and back here posting again. About Guardians 2, I agree that it wasn't as focused story-wise as the original (the reccuring appearances of the "golden" aliens didn't add much), and it went overboard somewhat with the CGI, but I still enjoyed it on the whole; it didn't just try to do the same thing as the original did antagonist-wise (i.e. generic Marvel MacGuffin), but made things a lot more personal on that front, and it still had a similar sense of heart, combined with irreverent fun, to make it a good experience on the whole. Anyway, again, glad to see you back here, man.
Oct 16, 2017 5:37 PM
0 0
Apollo 18, 2011 (D)

You wouldn't think an 80 minutes long movie would feel dragged, but this one does. The setting, first of all, is useless. This is essentially a shitty The Thing with two people. There's no plot point in this movie that takes advantage of the space setting. Even something as simple as food or oxygen could have been great at creating a sense of urgency, but nope. Apparently a two day mission lunar lander has enough oxygen and food for 6 or 8 days and plenty of food to go along with it. Also, the aliens suck. They're spiders disguised as rocks, they disrupt communications, because apparently someone didn't feel like writing a whole movie's worth of back and forth between NASA and the ship. Also, it really takes you out of the movie how they make the exact same croaking Transformers make. A good setup, some nice buildup, but a shit movie. Go watch The Thing instead, 1982 or 2011. Same plot points, less generic.
Oct 16, 2017 8:16 PM
0 0