Rate the Last Movie You Watched: Split 3

Zygote (2017) - 8/10
Jul 17, 2017 7:25 PM
0 0
The Fast and the Furious - 6/10. For starters, I've never seen any of the movies in this series before, and while I've always liked cars, I've never been particularly interested in illegal street racing. With that said, I found it to be a pale retread (no pun intended) of Point Break with illegal street racing taking the place of surfing. Besides having less memorable action and dialogue than the movie that obviously inspired it, it made me no more interested in street racing than I was before. Point Break, on the other hand, totally sold me on the appeal of the surfer lifestyle. All the same, I like the casting and chemistry of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker as well as how the movie explores the values of friendship and loyalty.
Jul 18, 2017 4:32 PM
0 0
The Reptile - 8/10 - Stop... Hammer time! This is one of the lesser known Seven Arts/Hammer Studios products and it's a shame because it's just as atmospheric and successful at conveying the mood they were most known for. It has the usual young(ish) couple setting up house in the usual terrorized and suspicious village. This time it's something or someone biting people on the neck. But it's not the usual Hammer suspect. Definitely worth watching even if you're not necessarily a Hammer fan.

EDIT: Oh and too bad they never made that sequel they were planning. It would have been called Dysfunction of course.

Jul 19, 2017 5:04 PM
0 0
Notorious (1946) This is the latest entry on my #SummerWithHitchcock project. The film follows Alicia Huberman (Ingrid Bergman), the daughter of a convicted Nazi spy, who is reluctantly recruited for a job by T.R. Devlin (Cary Grant). The job is to get closer to a Nazi organization established in Brazil and led by Alex Sebastian (Claude Rains).

The truth of the matter is that in terms of the film viewing experience, the job doesn't matter. What matters is that we care about the safety of both Devlin and Alicia as they get closer and closer to the organization. And Hitchcock being Hitchcock, well, he was a master in creating tension and suspense. The film is full of edge-of-your-seat moments that have you wondering "will they or won't they catch them?", and Hitchcock uses his best tricks and camera movements to achieve this.

Aside of that, the casting is great. Grant is perfect as the suave, no-nonsense agent, and Bergman is great as the tough-but-vulnerable lady. The cast is rounded out by Rains and Leopoldine Konstantin, who plays his overbearing mother and also a member of the organization. Both are menacing, but without falling into cartoonish territory.

Those are just some of the things Notorious has in its favor, but the bottom line is that it's a pretty darn good thriller. Grade: A-
Jul 20, 2017 12:30 AM
0 0
Inside Moves - 8/10. Roary (John Savage), a young man crippled after a failed suicide attempt, becomes a regular and later an employee at Max's, a local bar near the hospital. Max's other regulars and employees are also disabled, including Jerry (David Morse in his first role), a basketball player with a bad knee who becomes Roary's best friend. Eventually, Roary learns from Jerry's tendency to use people, such as a local, troubled prostitute, and from the emotional reluctance of Louise (Diana Scarwid), a waitress with whom he becomes involved, that there is more than one way to be crippled. This is a powerful and heartfelt drama that accurately shows what life is like for the disabled. It also explores how everyone is handicapped in some way or another, thankfully without belittling those who have critical disabilities. The movie shows its age, particularly in the scene where Roary gets to a window on the top floor of an office building without security clearance and how he and Jerry interact with members of the Golden State Warriors without having to deal with their bodyguards. All the same, it's a breath of fresh air to see a movie that Hollywood doesn't make that often these days, i.e. one where most of the characters are the kind of people you see on a daily basis and that wows without the use of special effects.
Jul 20, 2017 3:19 PM
0 0
Rome, Open City (1945) - 8.4/10

Jul 21, 2017 2:06 AM
0 0
Charade - 7/10

It's quite a playful mystery... a little too playful, actually. By the film's end, its menace was an afterthought due to the many twists that ensued beforehand, stretching its premise to the breaking point. But in the meantime, there's lots of kitschy banter to enliven the whodunit.
Jul 21, 2017 2:12 AM
0 0
Clown (Jon Watts/2013) 6.5/10

Not as good as Cop Car which first sold me on Watts. Now he's up to direct the Spiderman sequel. I want to see him do more indie films and big fun films and not just get sucked into the Hollywood cloud. You can check this out on Netflix now however if you get a chance do seek out Cop Car.
Jul 21, 2017 3:44 AM
0 0
Death ProofThe Hateful Eight - 6/10

Yeah that's about right. I think it's a shame he sets a 3 hour movie mostly in a haberdashery where he spins his dialogue.
Jul 21, 2017 3:46 AM
0 0
War For the Planet of the Apes - C - Almost stunning in its ability to look everything like a somber modern sci-fi masterpiece without having any meaningful content. Character arcs are baffling, social allusions feel cheap and generally pointless except to trade on iconography. The digital effects remain remarkable, especially with Caesar, Maurice, and new entrant "Bad Ape" (although Steve Zahn stealing scenes would imply any other characters owned them). This film makes me wonder if Dawn and Rise were less substantial than I thought the first time around.
Jul 21, 2017 3:48 AM
0 0
SkyDogA Matter Of Life And Death (1946) - 8.1/10

Yes! It's a great movie, glad you dug it.
Jul 21, 2017 3:49 AM
0 0
Strangers On A Train - 9/10 - One more Hitchcock film in the bag and it's a classic. Right up there anyway. His daughter Patricia is in it too. Two guys meet on a train. One turns out to be pretty much a psychopath. Still have Rope warming up in the bullpen. Also about a half dozen others.
Jul 21, 2017 4:13 AM
0 0
D.H.Strangers On A Train - 9/10 - One more Hitchcock film in the bag and it's a classic. Right up there anyway. His daughter Patricia is in it too. Two guys meet on a train. One turns out to be pretty much a psychopath. Still have Rope warming up in the bullpen. Also about a half dozen others.

Love that carousel setpiece, and how the mama complex comes roaring back in Psycho.
Jul 21, 2017 4:19 AM
0 0
SM: Homecoming B+

Predator A+
Jul 21, 2017 4:44 AM
0 0
DaMULove that carousel setpiece, and how the mama complex comes roaring back in Psycho.

Oh yeah. Loved how that little kid wanted in on the action. But what kind of knucklehead cop starts blasting away with all those kids in the line of fire?
Jul 21, 2017 5:09 AM
0 0
The Wizard of Lies (Barry Levinson/2017) 6.5/10

Not bad not great but very convincing performances. Watch it on On Demand on HBO. Now we'll see what the Emmies will decide.
Jul 21, 2017 7:41 AM
0 0
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)?

Box Office ranking: #283
Worldwide gross: $370,569,774

My mileage with the MCU is close to zero, and my experience with what I've seen has been, well, tepid. But if I want to get on with my #BlockbusterJuly project, it is pretty much obligatory to get into this universe. Having already seen Iron Man (fun, but forgettable) and Thor (pretty dull), I thought the best course would be to watch the other Avenger (the first! Avenger); first, for continuity, and second, because it seems to me the Captain America films are the one getting the best reviews of the Avenger films (is The Incredible Hulk watchable?)

Set in the early 1940s, Captain America: The First Avenger follows Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), a young American unable to enlist in the Army because of his height and multiple health issues. But his insistence leads him to Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci), who admires Rogers' disposition and enlists him as part of the Strategic Scientific Reserve, which just means they are going to inject him with a stuff that will make him bigger and stronger. Eventually, Rogers will have to use his newfound strength to stop Johann Schmidt, aka Red Skull (Hugo Weaving), who is using a mysterious artifact to build a deadly arsenal.

In essence, the premise is silly, but then again, so is every comic book/superhero story. Still, it is well sold by the actors and the script. The film is, for the most part, enjoyable and fun. Evans is convincing as the dedicated war hero, and Weaving hams it up as the villain. Plus, there are several good supporting roles, most notably Tucci and Tommy Lee Jones as a high-ranking colonel. But the high point for me was Hayley Atwell, who plays Agent Peggy Carter. Carter is sexy, smart, and strong, and Atwell plays her with a subtle confidence that makes you wanna see more of her.

All in all, I think I will agree with most reviews in saying this is the strongest of the Phase One films (at least the ones I've seen). It's not perfect, some special effects were a bit spotty, but it was still fun. Grade: B or B+
Jul 21, 2017 10:36 AM
0 0
Thief12Carter is sexy, smart, and strong, and Atwell plays her with a subtle confidence that makes you wanna see more of her.

*coughAgentCarterTVSeriescough*

Only two seasons, but thar ya goo.
Jul 21, 2017 11:52 AM
0 0
Prophecy (1979) - 9/10
Jul 21, 2017 12:29 PM
0 0
Rated NCC-1701
Thief12Carter is sexy, smart, and strong, and Atwell plays her with a subtle confidence that makes you wanna see more of her.

*coughAgentCarterTVSeriescough*

Only two seasons, but thar ya goo.

Yeah, that's what I immediately thought. I've read the show had great reviews, but bad ratings, which prompted its cancelation.

Considering that, as I said in my review, I'm not that into superhero films, I wonder how much should I get into superhero shows as well. I've read so many great things about Flash or Arrow or Daredevil that I wouldn't know where to start.
Jul 21, 2017 4:37 PM
0 0