Rate the Last Movie You Watched: Split 3

Leaving Las Vegas - 7.5/10

I know, I know...anyways, I thought I would increase my ranting abilities in seclusion. Well, I should rate this movie higher considering how well timed the tough scenes are following the jubilating scenes. This movie flows a lot like "True Romance", except in "True Romance" it's more of a "Bonnie and Clyde" kind of a love story but one of more ignorance and non-self harm (obviously) than in this case. In Leaving Las Vegas Ben is completely competent of what he's doing and what's to become of him. A very insightful motion picture score very effectively helps depict many of the undertones of the film. A solid B.
Aug 5, 2017 4:51 AM
0 0
Laura (1944) = A-

Read my review here.
Aug 5, 2017 1:49 PM
0 0
BobHarrisTourist Trap (1979) - 7/10

I've wanted to see this for forever and have never gotten around to it. Looking forward to it.
Aug 5, 2017 5:29 PM
0 0
SkyDog

?WooleyOne of my all-time favorites.

Watching that movie has inspired me to do something I should have done a long time ago - listen to classical music.

It really is a great place to jump in. And you get a sense of the music of The Nutcracker Suite without all the Christmas baggage. My favorite music from the film is Beethoven's 6th Symphony ("The Pastoral"), even though it is not nearly my favorite segment animation-wise. But this is where I discovered it.
Aug 5, 2017 5:33 PM
0 0
D.H.Curse of the Cat People - 7/10 - Odd little movie. Don't go in expecting a straight up sequel to Cat People even though three of the stars from that are in this one. It has an even shorter run time than the first but everything else is different. It more or less ignores the horror angle and focuses on a lonely little girl. To great effect mostly. Watch it just to say you did. You won't be sorry.

I really enjoyed this. It's so unlike anything that ever makes it to the big-screen.
Aug 5, 2017 5:34 PM
0 0
Wooley
D.H.Curse of the Cat People - 7/10 - Odd little movie. Don't go in expecting a straight up sequel to Cat People even though three of the stars from that are in this one. It has an even shorter run time than the first but everything else is different. It more or less ignores the horror angle and focuses on a lonely little girl. To great effect mostly. Watch it just to say you did. You won't be sorry.

I really enjoyed this. It's so unlike anything that ever makes it to the big-screen.

I did too. And you're right about it's distinctiveness. The dreamlike tone of the movie as a whole. And it was strangely affecting as well. It managed to achieve so much in such a limited amount of time.
Aug 5, 2017 6:03 PM
0 0
Alien: Covenant 9/10
Aug 5, 2017 7:20 PM
0 0
Kind Hearts And Coronets (1949) - 8.5/10

I shot an arrow in the air; she fell to earth in Berkeley Square.

Hah, what a beautiful ending.
Aug 5, 2017 8:28 PM
0 0
I saw Lady Macbeth recently and thought it was pretty fantastic. It's an effectively paced slow burn with an excellent lead performance and dabbles in dark comedy pretty frequently. It has two scenes that are perhaps the most unsettling scenes I may see all year too. Probably an A on this one.

I also saw A Ghost Story, which I'm rather conflicted with. It's well made and I didn't have a problem with it pacing wise but I couldn't totally get behind some of the film's indulgences and the feeling of thematic ambivalence.
Aug 5, 2017 9:00 PM
0 0
High Fidelity - 7.5/10

Not the usual pick for me, but for some reason I had a hankering for it. Man, Jack Black if hilarious in this, especially in his first appearance. Iben Hjejle is about as hot as ever, and I couldn't remember just how hot she is before I popped this in. What a pleasant surprise.
Aug 6, 2017 6:20 AM
0 0
Today was a brief Cruise-a-thon:

Legend - C+

I'll probably say what you're expecting, so super-brief: lovely, steady, static, ultimately dull, but maybe worth watching just to soak it in. Like my last Indian meal, it needed more Curry.

Edge of Tomorrow - B+, maaaaaybe A-

Satisfying from beginning to end, mostly; the final climax goes on a bit too long, and octopus aliens again (with hive mind, natch), and I really didn't dig on that kiss, but a great reminder that Cruise is never better than when he's playing a skeeze, and Liman and Herbert/Jennings (the editors) take real joy in figuring out how best to sequence the story. There were ellipses that made me laugh out loud with their audacity. Blunt also impresses with her characters' plausibility - she feels plausible as a warrior, and, apart from that yoga moment, she doesn't feel sexualized (which makes the kiss stand out - I was hoping Cruise would view her with fraternity instead of desire).
Aug 6, 2017 7:24 AM
0 0
Prizzi's Honor - 8/10. Charlie (Jack Nicholson) is a mob hitman who falls for Irene (Kathleen Turner), a hitwoman who as luck would have it isn't exactly on good terms with Charlie's employers. His struggle to have something good in his life while remaining loyal to an organization that is anything but amounts to a very fun caper, not to mention a very strongly acted one. Aside from Nicholson and Turner, I especially enjoyed William Hickey's performance as an aging don and Angelica Huston's as Charlie's jealous and manipulative ex-lover. Anyone interested in organized crime is bound to enjoy this movie as is anyone interested in philosophy for the way Charlie's unfortunate situation could lead to rousing fate vs. chance debates. It's also bound to appeal to classic noir fans. Despite being filmed and set in the '80s and in color, its low-tech and throwback style wouldn't make it feel out of place if it were in the middle of a TCM '40s marathon.
Aug 6, 2017 2:09 PM
0 0
The Day After Tomorrow - 6/10

One of the better opening sequences I can remember, and afterwards the movie kicks off like a firecracker. After the very beginning, the middle can seem a bit slow after the crew gets trapped in the library. All in all not a bad movie, just not a great movie. Emmy Rossum does awesome, as does Ian Holm. Dennis Quaid gives an on par performance, but not one of his best. Gyllenhaal didn't have to do a whole heck of a lot so it's hard to judge. The ending I thought was good and very inventive, and as much as I've made fun of this movie in the past I still think it's worth re-watching here and there. I just wish from mid-way to close to the end it would have kept me more enthralled.
Aug 6, 2017 9:18 PM
0 0
MaxRennPrizzi's Honor - 8/10. Charlie (Jack Nicholson) is a mob hitman who falls for Irene (Kathleen Turner), a hitwoman who as luck would have it isn't exactly on good terms with Charlie's employers. His struggle to have something good in his life while remaining loyal to an organization that is anything but amounts to a very fun caper, not to mention a very strongly acted one. Aside from Nicholson and Turner, I especially enjoyed William Hickey's performance as an aging don and Angelica Huston's as Charlie's jealous and manipulative ex-lover. Anyone interested in organized crime is bound to enjoy this movie as is anyone interested in philosophy for the way Charlie's unfortunate situation could lead to rousing fate vs. chance debates. It's also bound to appeal to classic noir fans. Despite being filmed and set in the '80s and in color, its low-tech and throwback style wouldn't make it feel out of place if it were in the middle of a TCM '40s marathon.

Loved this movie. Unfortunately haven't seen it in like 20 years.
Aug 6, 2017 10:38 PM
0 0
Curse of the Undead - 6/10 - Vampire western from 1959. That probably covers it but I'll go ahead and elucidate. A bit. Lady hires a gunslinger after her father (supposedly) and brother (he drew first) are killed by her pain in the ass neighbor. Gunslinger turns out to be a bloodsucker from back in the day. Back in the day being a couple of decades apparently. He wants the boss lady for himself but her preacher boyfriend ain't having it. The acting was passable with the guy playing the man in black/vampire doing a decent job.. I saw him in other things usually playing Native Americans. Good enough of a movie to make it worth watching. But the sets were distracting. Some of them looked downright cavernous. An odd thing to fixate on but... oh well.
Aug 6, 2017 10:54 PM
0 0
Blow Out (1981) = A-

Read my review here.
Aug 7, 2017 2:24 AM
0 0
Stu
Just wrote something about War For The Planet Of The Apes. Long review short, its overall level of depth, rich characterizations, epic direction, and haunting, post-apocalyptic atmosphere turns War into something truly special, a highly satisfying end to this trilogy, and one of the best movies of the year so far. Of course, Hollywood's already planning on making yet another unnecessary sequel to this, yet again not knowing when to just leave a good thing well enough alone already, but no matter what the future holds for this cinematic Planet, this War, at least, will be one to remember.
Aug 7, 2017 2:40 AM
0 0
Pawn Sacrifice - 6/10

A film version of Bobby Fischer's defeat of Boris Spassky at the 1972 World Chess Championship. One of those seemingly prestigious films that you wonder why you haven't heard about after a couple of years. The script has some structural problems - superfluous flashbacks to Fischer's childhood; I don't know if "Donna" is apocryphal or not, but it doesn't really add much. The acting is mostly fine, although Toby Maguire gonna Toby Maguire whether it's appropriate or not. He has the Brooklyn accent, but doesn't seem to have studied the real man (seen in docs like Bobby Fischer Against The World) for mannerisms. If he's impersonating anyone, it seems to be Michael Douglas (again).

Despite all of these pros and cons, the film ultimately does not succeed due to director Edward Zwick. A good director could have navigated some of the script's less necessary aspects and coached a more focused performance from Maguire, but beyond that, the film is way too inconsistent in tone. The worst instincts are to "authenticate" the time period with a dollar bin soundtrack and awful montages of alternating stock footage. It's kinda like Oliver Stone-esque, except cheap and uninspired and never building to comfortable narrative rhythm. Also, the film really misses the beauty of the game of chess, with some matches shot to where it's difficult to make out the play patterns on the board. And, in fact, the film opts not to even show the match that Fischer loses. Instead all of the chess talk becomes esoteric jargon, mystified for an audience probably not expected to know much about it.

Computer Chess - 7.5/10

A novel experiment, to shoot a mockumentary of the dawn of personal computer science, at a 1980 contest for A.I. chess programmers, using a primitive monochrome videocamera - the kind used in closed circuit TVs - and a cast of largely unprofessional code geeks. Given the lo-fi and socially inhibited circumstances, it's basically another mumblecore comedy from Andrew Bujalski (Funny Ha Ha), and while the humor is dry it has plenty of smiles and some chuckles throughout. What wins here is in the sincerity and earnestness of the cast, and a couple of little surreal detours along the way. But, like the above film, it isn't really about chess though.
Aug 7, 2017 4:11 AM
0 0
War for the Planet of the Apes B+

Elegant was the first word I thought of while watching. Not really an action war movie.
I really liked 4 5ths of it, save for the middling around the prison for too long with editors asleep at the wheel.

I loved the early road movie angle, the near silent movie aspects, & nearly no pandering for the sake of it. I enjoyed the comic relief ape, his winter jacket reveal was the best laugh of 2017 for me & any audience I've been.

Easily the best of the trilogy, & I won't entertain a tacked on sequel.
Aug 7, 2017 5:14 AM
0 0
Aug 7, 2017 11:42 AM
0 0