Rate the Last Movie You Watched: Split 3

Rated NCC-1701Welcome to my perpetual curse of rewatching Less Than Zero.

Heh. So was it's rating a -1/10? Because...you know...it was Less Than Zero. And uh...yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and show myself out.
Apr 22, 2017 5:07 PM
0 0
Garmarna

Nothing Left to Fear

Why do you keep posting?
Apr 23, 2017 4:13 PM
0 0
Independence Day: Resurgence, 2016 (F)

Nothing of value in this heap of garbage. All the Emmerichisms, usually tolerable because of spectacle, special effects, all that jazz, really drive home how bad this movie is here. The design, first of all, is absolute garbage. It follows the usual stock Hollywood future where the more advanced a civilization is, the more they love gray, jagged and varyingly dark pieces of steel with zero artistic elements barring lights, unlike any other civilization ever. Speaking of advanced civilizations, none of Earth's advanced technology matters. A defense base on the moon? Hope you don't care too much, because it don't do shit. A base on one of the moons of Saturn? You only know it's there because someone said it got destroyed. A network of orbital guns to defend the earth? Introduced and destroyed in the same scene. A new alien civilization that can make wormhole ships and has a planet somewhere with lots of other races victim of the harvesters? Ship gone in 60 seconds and the alien is literally just bait. They pretty much bulldoze every interesting new elements off the script just to serve you the same resolution. Also, the number of lines that just dumb down hwat was just said for the camera is off the charts.
Apr 23, 2017 9:36 PM
0 0
The Square - 7/10. This is an Australian Coen-esque thriller about a construction manager who hatches a scheme to run away with his girl on the side and with a bunch of dirty money. Needless to say, in true Coen fashion, it doesn't go according to plan. Brothers Joel and Nash Edgerton wrote this movie, and like Joel's movie The Gift from last year, it is the definition of solid in that it's not entirely original, but it does what it does pretty well. Unfortunately, it also shares that movie's flaw of having thinly-drawn, functional female characters.
Apr 23, 2017 10:11 PM
0 0
Colossal (2016) - Written and directed by Nacho Vigalondo

How can you not love a movie made by a guy named Nacho?

More dark comedy than monster movie, this film was co-produced by its star Anne Hathaway. She does a good job as an out-of-control party girl Gloria living with her boyfriend in New York City. When he gets tired of her behavior and kicks her out, Gloria returns to her hometown and reunites with her childhood friend, Oscar - an amazing portrayal by Jason Sudeikis. Around the same time, a kaiju has attacked Seoul in South Korea. Through a series of coincidences and detective work, Gloria realizes the kaiju is under her control. Things get more complicated when a giant yaeger robot shows up to face the kaiju.

Hathaway does a good job, but falls a little short of her portrayal as an out-of-work drunk. She just looks a little too clean. The rest of the cast is quite good, although Tim Blake Nelson is criminally underused. The real shining star here is Sudeikis - he does an amazing job as Gloria's former friend and present day creep. I don't think it could happen, but I swear the guy puts forth an Oscar-level performance here. The monster effects are pretty good (better than a SyFy Channel monster) and the direction is quite good. The only downside is the dialogue, which has a few funny or passionate moments but for the most part it falls flat. Still, this is worth a watch for the monsters and Sudeikis' performance.

I would look forward to seeing what else Nacho Vigalondo will come up with in the future. Perhaps most well know for his 2007 time travel film, Timecrimes, as well as segments in The ABC's of Death and VHS: Viral, Nacho has a strong interest in sci fi, aliens, and monsters. He has a good eye for cinematography but should work with a good screenwriter.

7.5/10

Apr 24, 2017 8:46 PM
0 0
A Hard Days Night - 9/10 - Still my favorite musical of all time. Which isn't saying much since I don't really care for musicals in general. But that's okay since it's also so much more. A clever comedy and a faux documentary with some surprisingly effective commentary on pop culture.
Apr 24, 2017 9:17 PM
0 0
D.H.A clever comedy and a faux documentary with some surprisingly effective commentary on pop culture.

George Harrison's scene with the T-shirts is hilarious.
Apr 24, 2017 9:20 PM
0 0
The Purge: Election Year - 7/10 - I liked the second film in the trilogy the most. If you feel you have to watch a Purge movie watch Anarchy. But this one comes in second. The first with Ethan Hawke was lacking something.
Apr 24, 2017 9:42 PM
0 0
Images in a Convent (1979) - Sleaze-meister Joe D'Amato's first foray into the nunsploitation genre is suitably trashy but with some surprisingly good atmosphere and imagery. The man has a interesting filmography to say the least.

6.5/10
Apr 24, 2017 10:43 PM
0 0
Death ProofColossal (2016) - Written and directed by Nacho Vigalondo

7.5/10

You should see some of his other stuff.
Apr 25, 2017 3:01 AM
0 0
Black Philip
Death ProofColossal (2016) - Written and directed by Nacho Vigalondo

7.5/10

You should see some of his other stuff.

Well I do want to see Timecrimes.
Apr 25, 2017 5:30 AM
0 0
Timecrimes is good. Extraterrestrial is good but not really about UFOs or Aliens. More of a love story that surprisingly worked for me. I've also seen a few short films you might want to check on youtube for. I don't like Anne Hathaway but I'll see his new one.
Apr 25, 2017 5:38 AM
0 0
Jaws - 9/10

Probably deserves a 10/10. I have watched Jaws twice in the last three days and the thing just never gets old.
Apr 25, 2017 12:11 PM
0 0
GarmarnaPEDOPHILIC FURRY PIC

Tell your mother to take that guy's cock out of her mouth and lock you in the basement where you can't get to a computer or children. You fucking creep.
Apr 25, 2017 2:18 PM
0 0
Get Out (Jordan Peele/2017) 5/10

Another overrated Blumhouse production besides Split. This got a better tomato score than Logan? Get the fuck out of town.
Apr 26, 2017 4:21 AM
0 0
The Cell - 6/10

Used to hate this movie. It's so great visually but everything else is an afterthought. Surprisingly, I liked it better this time so it gets a 6.
Apr 26, 2017 11:51 AM
0 0
Manchester by the Sea - 9/10. Lee, an avoidant, self-exiled handyman, returns to his hometown after his older brother dies. He becomes the guardian of his teenage son, which gives him an opportunity to salvage his life, but memories of the event that led to his departure get in the way. Lee's story amounts to a thoughtful and painfully honest meditation on grief. In it, we observe how grief may be the most powerful emotion, how every way we deal with it seems to make it worse as well as the large and small ways life doles it out. Thankfully, Lonergan steers clear of mawkish and sentimental territory by avoiding shortcuts and simple answers and by showing the funny side of life's hardships at just the right occasions.
Apr 26, 2017 5:02 PM
0 0
Kadin Dusmani aka Woman Despiser (Ilhan Engin/1967) 6/10

You know how do I not watch a movie with the title Woman Despiser. This is a Turkish proto-giallo in black and white and manages to be offbteat and generally harmless. If you want to watch it just search el youtube-o.

The Void (Jeremy Gillespie & Steven Kostanski/2016) 6/110

Now this is the biggest WTF? I've seen this year. From the producers of The Witch. It certainly does not reach for those lofty heights but there's no shortage of gore, strange activities, creepy alien like creatures and weird dudes in hoods and white robes that are not the KKK. That doesn't even begin to describe the going-ons in this cluster-LSD-fuck. Do see it if you like extreme gore, Sci-ti and some very abstract music.
Apr 27, 2017 3:44 AM
0 0

Stop page-stretching, you dumb fuck.
Apr 27, 2017 2:29 PM
0 0
My Neighbor Totoro - 10/10. It's probably been over ten years since I last watched this, but it still makes me grin like a little kid. It shows the power of a child's imagination and presents the most compelling argument for encouraging it better than any movie I can remember. If you ever watch this with someone who doesn't laugh or at least smile at any time, don't know that person any more.
Apr 28, 2017 5:12 PM
0 0