Rate the Last Movie You Watched: Split 3

I found Passion to be a slog but loved Vampyr.
Jun 4, 2017 2:43 AM
0 0
RockI found Passion to be a slog

You and Popcorn, up against the wall!
Jun 4, 2017 2:48 AM
0 0
crumbsroom

*cries in close-up*
Jun 4, 2017 2:52 AM
0 0
Rock
crumbsroom

*cries in close-up*

*whispers conspiratorially in close up*

*burns Rock at the stake*

*popcorn watches and waits his turn*
Jun 4, 2017 3:05 AM
0 0
Logan - quite good, really/10
Jun 5, 2017 2:11 AM
0 0
To Sir, With Love - Poitier has to be one of the most compelling screen-presences ever/10
Jun 5, 2017 2:12 AM
0 0
Wonder Woman - Now was that really so hard?/10
Jun 5, 2017 2:13 AM
0 0
Stu
WooleyWonder Woman - Now was that really so hard?/10

Yeah, I just saw and reviewed it today, and while it has a number of significant, easily solvable problems, the good material is more than good enough to justify buying a ticket to it. The movie remembers that the particular "hero" of a superhero film should be front-and-center, regardless of what their gender may be, and boy, do we finally have a legit female hero, capable of handling both herself, as well as her own franchise, at a time when all of her male counterparts in the DC universe are still floundering. While not quite as wonderful as it could've been, Wonder Woman is still a fine film overall, and a breath of fresh air in an industry that's still light on prominent superheroes of the XX chromosome persuasion; your move, Marvel.
Jun 5, 2017 2:27 AM
0 0
D.H.Kong: Skull Island - 6/10 - You can catch glimpses of the better movie this could have been. Maybe they were left on the cutting room floor. But you're asked to care about people that are little more than thumbnail sketches. It's too bad. Characters like John C. Reilly's marooned pilot could have been so much better. Samuel L. Jackson is the only other one given anything of note to do. It's a great cast but everyone else is completely wasted. John Goodman, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Shea Whigham. And a lot of other things are simply uninspired, like the choice of music.

Couldn't agree more unless you said, "Samuel L. Jackson is the only other one given anything of note to do and it's fucking stupid".
Jun 5, 2017 2:35 AM
0 0
Stu
?WooleyWonder Woman - Now was that really so hard?/10

Yeah, I just saw and reviewed it today, and while it has a number of significant, easily solvable problems, the good material is more than good enough to justify buying a ticket to it. The movie remembers that the particular "hero" of a superhero film should be front-and-center, regardless of what their gender may be, and boy, do we finally have a legit female hero, capable of handling both herself, as well as her own franchise, at a time when all of her male counterparts in the DC universe are still floundering. While not quite as wonderful as it could've been, Wonder Woman is still a fine film overall, and a breath of fresh air in an industry that's still light on prominent superheroes of the XX chromosome persuasion; your move, Marvel.

Yeah, pretty much all that.
I didn't have too many problems with it other than one or two off moments, a little less than I might have liked from one character (Doctor Poison), and my continued struggle with certain limitations of CGI (and I can't necessarily blame this one particular film for the uncanny valley, it's just that there was so much of it in this film).
I thought the story was not only very solid, but exactly the WW story I always thought they should tell (not necessarily with WWI, but with Themyscira and WW facing Ares who was causing war).
I don't know that they are quite in the game with Marvel enough to say "your move", right now Marvel is 10 moves ahead and can afford to go get a Coke while DC scrambles to figure out what they did right this time, but certainly DC has finally made a movie on par with Marvel's output and, in a few years, there will be some pressure on Marvel to make Captain Marvel a winner.
Although I wonder (boy, that's gonna get old fast) if DC didn't actually just make Marvel's life EASIER.
Jun 5, 2017 2:41 AM
0 0
WooleyLogan - quite good, really/10

I really liked Logan as well despite the excessive bleakness of it all. You can pretty much bank on the fact that whenever a character outlives their usefulness they are going to die. It's a nice bookend to the character but still, part of me wishes we got an ending where: charles and Logan sail off into the sunset never to be heard from again.
The only real weak spot for me was the new mutants stuff.
Jun 5, 2017 7:20 AM
0 0
The Guy
WooleyLogan - quite good, really/10

I really liked Logan as well despite the excessive bleakness of it all. You can pretty much bank on the fact that whenever a character outlives their usefulness they are going to die. It's a nice bookend to the character but still, part of me wishes we got an ending where: charles and Logan sail off into the sunset never to be heard from again.
The only real weak spot for me was the new mutants stuff.

Yeah, I'm with you on all of that.
Jun 5, 2017 1:44 PM
0 0
My Life as a Zucchini - 8/10. This movie is about the titular Zucchini, a recently-orphaned Swiss boy who bonds with new arrival Camille and butts heads with bully Simon at his foster home. At a little over an hour, it's a very lean movie, but it manages to convey so much about the toll of parental neglect, mostly thanks to its unique, expressive style of claymation. Luckily, despite its dark core, there is plenty of comic relief and heartwarming moments between Zucchini, Camille and Raymond (Nick Offerman), their foster care officer. If there's a drawback to the movie's short length, it's that outside the four main characters, the rest of the cast is mostly underdeveloped.
Jun 5, 2017 3:39 PM
0 0
Fuck off, Hazel.

Jun 5, 2017 11:05 PM
0 0
Young and Innocent (1937) My next film in my #SummerWithHitchcock was one I hadn't heard much about. Young and Innocent follows Robert Tisdall (Derrick DeMarney), a young man wrongly accused of the murder of an actress she had met years before. After escaping in the middle of a crowd at the courthouse, he ends up paired with Erica (Nova Pilbeam), daughter of the local police chief who initially distrusts him, but ends up believing in his innocence and eventually falling in love.

Like Sabotage, which I saw on the weekend, this film doesn't tread new grounds storywise. Hitchcock films are full of whodunit murders and wrongly accused men. However, it was interesting to see Hitchcock experiment with the camera more than he did in the former. This film has a couple of nice angle shots and several long takes, highlighted by a climatic crane shot that ends up revealing the killer.

Aside of the technical aspect, I found the film to be quite entertaining and breezy. I thought it had a good balance of drama and humor, which had me chuckling several times. Plus, the two leads had good chemistry. Unfortunately, there are several silly plotpoints and eye-rolling contrivances that hinder the overall effect a bit. But still, I enjoyed it very much. Grade: B+
Jun 6, 2017 3:37 AM
0 0
Wonder Woman - B-

13 Assassins (2010) - B+/A- (Not decided yet)

Mad Max: Fury Road (rewatch): A
Jun 6, 2017 5:58 AM
0 0
Honestly, Hazel - why do you even bother?
Jun 6, 2017 4:30 PM
0 0
Wonder Woman - 6/10

Jun 6, 2017 4:31 PM
0 0
Stu
Death ProofWonder Woman - 6/10

Aw, I liked it...
Jun 7, 2017 5:05 AM
0 0
Stu
Death ProofWonder Woman - 6/10