Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

SkyDog

What this thread needs is more Things gif's and less talk. Or maybe just the same Things gif over and over again.
Jul 2, 2017 11:45 PM
0 0
crumbsroomSo I was about 20 minutes into Spielberg's 1941 and was sorta hating it. Went out, drank a bunch of beer, and now can't bring myself to continue. Does anyone have any kind words for this film in order to get me to finish it. Because it's long and it looks like it sucks.

I coincidentally watched that last week (for the first time) and my advice is to cut your losses and give up. Painfully unfunny. It sits in that weird zone where the jokes are broad and dumb, but not in an Airplane kind of way where that's sort of the point, if you know what I mean. Just completely misses the mark it's aiming for. My only chuckles came from John Candy and Joe Flaherty, probably just because I'm part of the "SCTV > SNL Club". But their contributions are brief. And my version was 2-1/2 hrs long.

It's a very weird beast. I grew up thinking it was a Belushi movie because he was featured in most of the ads/posters but he's really slightly more than a cameo. The "hero" of the film is an actor whose name I didn't bother to remember. So when you consider that audiences in 79 were faced with a Spielberg film preceded by Jaws and CEot3K and a Belushi film in the Animal House/Blues Brothers time zone, and were served this weird thing, it's no wonder it was a colossal flop.
Jul 3, 2017 12:29 AM
0 0
crumbsroomSo I was about 20 minutes into Spielberg's 1941 and was sorta hating it. Went out, drank a bunch of beer, and now can't bring myself to continue. Does anyone have any kind words for this film in order to get me to finish it. Because it's long and it looks like it sucks.

Little surprised you haven't seen it.

The fatal flaw of the film is that it has a gaping hole in the center which is filled by a completely unfunny and uninteresting plot about some dance contest and guys posing as servicemen. If, somehow, this could be removed from the rest of the carcass, then....I personally think that it could still get by on its anarchic charms. The best parts of the film are in the periphery, unfortunately (when I first saw it as a kid, I was deeply disappointed in the lack of Belushi), but the parts with Belushi, Aykroyd, Ned Beatty (maybe the best of all), Slim Pickens, Mifune and Lee, and the whole ferris wheel thing seems to add up to a film worth watching. And most of this stuff is in the last 40 minutes or so, so I say hang in there.

It's still a monumental indulgence from all concerned, but it would have been more interesting had the film just gone full Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker rather than attempting to rely on such a weak and unmemorable central plot and just invested directly into total chaos. The chaos is what saves the picture.
Jul 3, 2017 6:22 PM
0 0

It's time for Australian Stunt Men to have a movie all their own. Lots of explosions, dune buggy chases and cavorting with a dog wearing headphones.

Jul 4, 2017 1:54 PM
0 0

A movie for experimental sci-fi fans who don't feel Bill Paxton gets enough blow jobs in movies.
Jul 4, 2017 1:55 PM
0 0
Captain Terror "SCTV > SNL Club".

Truth

I did plug through the rest of the movie though. Eventually.
Jul 4, 2017 1:56 PM
0 0
Janson JinnistanAnd most of this stuff is in the last 40 minutes or so, so I say hang in there.

It certainly works better during the climax, particularly the scene with Belushi's airplane buzzing the Hollywood streets, but it is really all a matter of too little too late. The tone for much of the movie is so off puttingly over done that I'm hardly surprised that lovers of Hardly Working (France) are big fans of it.

Jul 4, 2017 2:01 PM
0 0
?Janson JinnistanThe fatal flaw of the film is that it has a gaping hole in the center which is filled by a completely unfunny and uninteresting plot about some dance contest and guys posing as servicemen. If, somehow, this could be removed from the rest of the carcass, then....I personally think that it could still get by on its anarchic charms.

I'd support any changes that result in the film not being 2-1/2 hours long. In the bonus interview I watched, Spielberg claims he wanted it to be an actual musical but Zemeckis (I think) nixed the idea, and the USO dance was the only concession to that idea that remained. Musical numbers would've really added to the bloat problem, so I guess I'm thankful for that small favor.

?Janson Jinnistan it would have been more interesting had the film just gone full Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker rather than attempting to rely on such a weak and unmemorable central plot and just invested directly into total chaos. ?The chaos is what saves the picture. ?

While that opening Jaws gag was not exactly side-splitting, it did suggest that I was in for a Zuckeresque type of thing, which I would've been fine with. Not the biggest ZAZ fan but I was in the mood for some Brooks-lite on this particular night. So I feel like I approached it with the right attitude (despite being aware of its reputation as a misfire). Crumb used the phrase "over done" and I think that sums up my problem. As an example, the paint/turpentine gag was surrounded by so much noise and activity that I almost didn't catch the joke. I think someone with a better grasp of what they were doing could've made a more memorable sight gag out of that.
Jul 4, 2017 5:22 PM
0 0
crumbsroom

"Excellent motion picture" - Five year old Janson.
Jul 5, 2017 12:43 AM
0 0
crumbsroom
Captain Terror "SCTV > SNL Club".

Truth.

"I have fathomed my own mortality." - Nine year old Janson.
Jul 5, 2017 12:45 AM
0 0
Jul 5, 2017 4:37 AM
0 0
crumbsroom

This is the poster I remember for this one....

And somewhat unrelated, this remains my favorite feline-themed horror poster.

Jul 5, 2017 2:28 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
This is the poster I remember for this one....

Yes, this is the cover of the DVD I've got here, but it is so much classier than it deserves. A movie about a cat who barfs up a demon cat deserves a poster with a nauseous pink background to give proper contrast to the said cat vomiting being depicted.

It also allowed me to say absolutely everything I needed to say about the movie without having to say anything.

Jul 8, 2017 10:13 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan

"Holy fuck, I hated that" - Five ear old crumb upon leaving the theater of this movie he'd just thrown a tantrum to see.
Jul 8, 2017 10:15 PM
0 0
crumbsroom

Oh wait, there is no mention of Clu Galager's cosmetically enhanced overbite on this. I guess it is not the miracle poster I had assumed

Jul 8, 2017 10:20 PM
0 0
crumbsroom
Janson Jinnistan

"Holy fuck, I hated that" - Five ear old crumb upon leaving the theater of this movie he'd just thrown a tantrum to see.

I bet you hated Dudley Moore too.

*runs in tears*
Jul 8, 2017 10:32 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
crumbsroom
Janson Jinnistan

I bet you hated Dudley Moore too.

*runs in tears*

I love Dudley Moore. Arthur would be in my top 5 comedies, and "10" would be somewhere down the list.

All I remember about Hardly Working was that I saw the commercial and thought it was completely hilarious, then sat in the theater wondering what I had been thinking, and feeling? miserable that I forced my mother and her boyfriend and a couple of my cousins to see this instead of whatever they had wanted to see. The only scene I remember laughing at was some standard Lewis misadventure when he knocks over a bunch of cans that have been elegantly stacked. I remember thinking this was a weird thing for me to be laughing at since it was the one scene in the commercial I had thought, even as a five year old, was too obvious to ever be funny to anyone. And there I was, laughing at the worst joke in the trailer, because I had nothing else to comfort me at the moment.

But then again, I thought Going Beserk was hilarious, so what did kindergarten me know about shit?

Jul 8, 2017 11:26 PM
0 0
crumbsroomI love Dudley Moore. Arthur would be in my top 5 comedies, and "10" would be somewhere down the list.

"That's what I like. Little things hitting each other." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I thought his scene in Foul Play was the funniest thing as a kid. Now, I look back and laugh at what I didn't understand was actually hilarious about it.

crumbsroomI thought Going Beserk was hilarious, so what did kindergarten me know about shit?

Um, it was better than Club Paradise, I guess...
Jul 8, 2017 11:49 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
crumbsroomI love Dudley Moore. Arthur would be in my top 5 comedies, and "10" would be somewhere down the list.

"That's what I like. ?Little things hitting each other." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I thought his scene in Foul Play was the funniest thing as a kid. ?Now, I look back and laugh at what I didn't understand was actually hilarious about it.

crumbsroomI thought Going Beserk was hilarious, so what did kindergarten me know about shit?

Um, it was better than Club Paradise, I guess...

I think I saw Foul Play when I was young, but memories are vague. Is that the one where he is a swinger in a hotel room? Or is he always that?

I also saw Club Paradise in the theater, and thankfully, I knew that was a dog right off the bat. Didn't stop me from watching it about ten times whenever I found it on television though. The seeds for watching shit were sown very early in this one.
Jul 9, 2017 12:06 AM
0 0
crumbsroom

Bitchin'
Jul 9, 2017 12:07 AM
0 0