Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

I like Horror Express a lot, but I found myself pushing back a little after its rediscovery a few years back. I don't think that it's good enough to enter top-tier Hammer status, but it's a solid 2nd tier, which is an excellent standard for 70s Hammer.
May 1, 2017 12:53 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanI like Horror Express a lot, but I found myself pushing back a little after its rediscovery a few years back. ?I don't think that it's good enough to enter top-tier Hammer status, but it's a solid 2nd tier, which is an excellent standard for 70s Hammer.

Hammer for me is a bit of a blind spot. Yes, yes, I know. I initially was lukewarm on Horror of Dracula (which I only recently learned to really like in the last year or two) and distinctly disliked their version of The Mummy. And as much as it seems to be a favorite around RT, I'm not a fan of Vampire Circus. I've long been an advocate for Devil Rides Out and the seemingly neglected Plague of Zombies.

All that being said, Horror Express is my favorite of that lot. At least on this initial viewing. It's got atmosphere and menace and campy goofiness all in a pretty beautiful equal measure. If I had seen this as a kid I would have been nuts about it.
May 1, 2017 1:14 AM
0 0
For me, top shelf Hammer has got to include Curse of Frankenstein, Curse of the Werewolf as well as Horror of Dracula (as well as the first two sequels) and Devil Rides Out and the first Mummy. Also, I think their version of Hound of the Baskervilles might be my favorite version, although the classic Rathbone is a formidable competitor. And, wtf, I thought I've seen you post enthusiastically about Vampire Circus. I must be confused.
May 1, 2017 1:27 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanFor me, top shelf Hammer has got to include Curse of Frankenstein, Curse of the Werewolf as well as Horror of Dracula (as well as the first two sequels) and Devil Rides Out and the first Mummy. ?Also, I think their version of Hound of the Baskervilles might be my favorite version, although the classic Rathbone is a formidable competitor. ?And, wtf, I thought I've seen you post enthusiastically about Vampire Circus. ?I must be confused.

There were parts of Vampire Circus I liked, and it is possible if I ever talked about it here, I just focused on those elements. Outside of movies I absolutely hate, or movies whose love baffles me, I try and almost always focus on the things that I think work in a film, especially if I just write a quick blurb. But, no, on the record I wasn't a fan. I remember wanting to like what it was trying to do, but simply not digging the way it did it.

If I ever get around to another Hammer, Curse of Frankenstein will be at the top of the list. I have pretty low success rates with Werewolf movies outside of AWiL and The Howling.

May 1, 2017 1:53 AM
0 0
crumbsroom

There were parts of Vampire Circus I liked, and it is possible if I ever talked about it here, I just focused on those elements. Outside of movies I absolutely hate, or movies whose love baffles me, I try and almost always focus on the things that I think work in a film, especially if I just write a quick blurb. But, no, on the record I wasn't a fan. I remember wanting to like what it was trying to do, but simply not digging the way it did it.

Oh, man. I love Vampire Circus. Aside from the awkward puppet-leopard attack I find the whole thing to be really excellent. I love the surreal mirror funhouse sequences and the shape-shifting acrobatic twins. And some of the shots are just fabulous like the strongman reaching out to crush the cross in his fist.
May 1, 2017 1:56 AM
0 0
Takoma1
crumbsroom

Oh, man. I love Vampire Circus. Aside from the awkward puppet-leopard attack I find the whole thing to be really excellent. I love the surreal mirror funhouse sequences and the shape-shifting acrobatic twins. And some of the shots are just fabulous like the strongman reaching out to crush the cross in his fist.

I do recall liking the David Prowse parts, and the sudden realization that I was looking at the real Darth Vader.
May 1, 2017 1:59 AM
0 0
crumbsroomI have pretty low success rates with Werewolf movies outside of AWiL and The Howling.

Yeah, but how many of those werewolf films had Oliver Reed?

Reed is also in Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll and Paranoiac which are also recommended Hammer films.
May 1, 2017 2:00 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Anthony HurleyI think the film straddles the line between thriller and film noir. Mitchum's version of Cady sure has the cynical attitude and sexually aggressive character surely fits. But Bowden is so Magoo in this film. He never becomes a noir anti-hero and he is almost never complex or interesting. That's the biggest problem. None of the characters outside of Cady are interesting. And I know all the characters don't have to complex for it to be film noir, but to me it comes up short. But everyone seems to have a different opinion on what is film noir. Many films from those years have a lot of the elements, but often times it comes down to how the individual feels about the particular film.

I don't see a clear line between noir and thrillers, and it's true that there is a lot of dispute over what and what does not constitute noir. ?A lot of the latter I don't pay much attention to.

Essentially, noir refers to nocturnal crime films, and some would say that the budget has a lot to do with the definition (B-movies, excluding the higher marquee efforts of someone like Hitchcock). ?But noir is not exclusively about films set at night, or in the city, or any of the other standard tropes. ?The "noir" can also be reflected in a general bleakness, and has to, to some extent, have a protagonist who is compromised in some way. ?The Cape Fear sequel adds some detail to this by showing Sam as an unethical lawyer and a philandering husband, but even in the original we see where the character is capable of extra-judicial means. ?The moral compromise is there, and his questioning of this is enough, I think, for the film to qualify, in addition to the more surface qualities such as the noirish cinematography and overall style.

For some reason when I think of noirs, I think of some hot looking woman who gets our hero in up to his neck in trouble (think Gene Tierney in Laura or Lana Turner in The Postman Always Rings Twice).

Which is why I can't quite see Odds Against Tomorrow as a noir. It plays out more like a thriller with some dark comic moments.

I mean Odds did have some noir-ish elements (the three leads are planning a bank robbery, it did play as a B-film, the three lead characters all have their flaws). But without the good looking dame, it falls short of noir in my eyes.
May 1, 2017 3:03 AM
0 0
Takoma1
crumbsroom

I think I enjoyed Vampire Circus, grooving on the plot and images (even if one of the leads looked like David Cassidy).
May 1, 2017 3:05 AM
0 0

This is the kind of bad movie I'm going to watch a thousand times before I die. Now my life has meaning.
May 4, 2017 4:50 AM
0 0
May 4, 2017 5:10 AM
0 0
PLANET OF STORMS

What begins as a rather serious seeming Russian space film where astronauts stand around in silver spaceships and talk humorlously about space exploration, can't seem to keep up the facade of importance when giant lizard men in rubber suits, slow witted brontosaurus' and robots who demand to be spoken to politely make their appearance. But it is as the film quickly devolves into sci-fi kitsch that it finds its voice, and it ends up being considerably more entertaining then the turgid and cinematically primitive opening 15 minutes would lead you to believe possible.
May 6, 2017 3:25 AM
0 0
I think somebody here a while back saw Belladonna of Sadness? The animation style is reason enough to recommend it, but I'm trying to figure out if I liked it as much as I did in spite of how objectionable it is or because of how objectionable it is.
May 6, 2017 3:33 AM
0 0
RockI'm trying to figure out if I liked it as much as I did in spite of how objectionable it is or because of how objectionable it is.

Wait. What was the middle one?
May 6, 2017 4:32 AM
0 0

Foiled witch from the 17th Century returns to the present day New York as a motorcycle riding, punk rock dork with clunky high heels, in order to do some bad Satanic stuff. Good thing she has a horde of undead followers beneath the city who drool and feed on her ectoplasm bearing breasts to help her in her cause and chafe her nipples. Meanwhile a studly New York cop who don't like talk about previous lives and just wants to bed a virgin New Age NPR reporter who has a Japanese fetish and doesn't have any chairs in her apartment, team up with a gay black preacher to, I don't know, defeat the reincarnated witch. Personally I would have preferred to have spent a little more time with the queeny, shit talking Forensic Pathologist, or at least have him eaten by one of those sewer zombies with their gooey ecotplasm filled mouths.

Not good in any stretch, and only sorta good in a bad way. If you have low standards you might enjoy this one a bit. I did!

5.5/10

May 7, 2017 1:53 AM
0 0
crumbsroom

Foiled witch from the 17th Century returns to the present day New York as a motorcycle riding, punk rock dork with clunky high heels, in order to do some bad Satanic stuff. Good thing she has a horde of undead followers beneath the city who drool and feed on her ectoplasm bearing breasts to help her in her cause and chafe her nipples. Meanwhile a studly New York cop who don't like talk about previous lives and just wants to bed a virgin New Age NPR reporter who has a Japanese fetish and doesn't have any chairs in her apartment, team up with a gay black preacher to, I don't know, defeat the reincarnated witch. Personally I would have preferred to have spent a little more time with the queeny, shit talking Forensic Pathologist, or at least have him eaten by one of those sewer zombies with their gooey ecotplasm filled mouths.

Not good in any stretch, and only sorta good in a bad way. If you have low standards you might enjoy this one a bit. I did!

5.5/10

I've had this unwatched on my hard drive like forever... i'm glad you took one for the team
May 8, 2017 11:08 AM
0 0
crumbsroomPLANET OF STORMS

What begins as a rather serious seeming Russian space film where astronauts stand around in silver spaceships and talk humorlously about space exploration, can't seem to keep up the facade of importance when giant lizard men in rubber suits, slow witted brontosaurus' and robots who demand to be spoken to politely make their appearance. But it is as the film quickly devolves into sci-fi kitsch that it finds its voice, and it ends up being considerably more entertaining then the turgid and cinematically primitive opening 15 minutes would lead you to believe possible.

You may like this... Orion's Loop (1980) i watched it last night and can confirm that it's craptastic

May 8, 2017 11:12 AM
0 0

Anyone not familiar with the Poliziotteschi genre wouldn't be stupid to start here. This is a really good rip of Fistful of Dollars, and they make a really punchy, fuck you crime film with it. I think I might even prefer it to FoD. And just because that is one of my least favourite Leone's doesn't mean this shouldn't count as praise. Massi is less invenetive or expressive as Leone, but he has a lean weirdness to his direction that makes up for it.

May 10, 2017 3:34 AM
0 0
I haven't seen that many poliziotteschi flicks but the ones I've seen (Shoot First, Die Later; Live Like a Man, Die Like a Cop; Caliber 9; The Italian Connection) have been pretty strong. I have two Fernando di Leo box sets that I've barely dug into, so maybe I'll go through the rest of those movies in those soonish.
May 10, 2017 3:38 AM
0 0
RockShoot First, Die Later; Live Like a Man, Die Like a Cop;

I haven't seen many either, but I've seen these two and they're are both good. Most of them that I've watched seem to be a similar caliber as these. Last Round seems to be particularly stronger thought in pretty much every way.
May 10, 2017 3:44 AM
0 0