LOTR series on Amazon

Original Poster
Just confirmed.

To take place 'before the events of the Fellowship of the Ring'.

Which means what exactly? Are they going full Silmarillion here... or are we going to get a bunch of extrapolated material on the rim of Tolkien's actual writing? I'm half excited, more than half apprehensive...
Nov 14, 2017 3:27 AM
0 0
Nov 14, 2017 3:30 AM
0 0
They're going to want that bait, so I would guess it will revolve around Strider and events prior to LotR. A lot of Legolas and Gandalf in there. Probably Arwen stuff, too. Some Dunedain rangery stuff. Hunt for Gollum at some point. I doubt it will have anything to do with Tolkien's main writings, but will probably feature some appendix material.
Nov 14, 2017 4:53 AM
0 0
Why are they doing this. The movies were fantastic.

Can't stand this constant rebooting of things. We have a great trilogy of films. Let it be!
Nov 14, 2017 5:12 AM
0 0
Johnny HyperspaceThey're going to want that bait, so I would guess it will revolve around Strider and events prior to LotR. A lot of Legolas and Gandalf in there. Probably Arwen stuff, too. Some Dunedain rangery stuff. Hunt for Gollum at some point. I doubt it will have anything to do with Tolkien's main writings, but will probably feature some appendix material.

I really hope this isn't it. A bunch of shots of a Viggo Mortenson look-alike tracking Gollum through the swamps isn't going to cut it.?
Just give me Beren and Luthien or the siege of Gondolin already.
Nov 14, 2017 2:59 PM
0 0
"The next Game of Thrones"? The irony, it drips.

from the article"'The Lord of the Rings' is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen," said Sharon Tal Yguado, head of scripted series for Amazon Studios. "We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking 'The Lord of the Rings; fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth."

I keep seeing these declarations in announcement pages, and it all reads like Mad Libs: The Corporate Edition. It seems that this is how all of them are written.
Nov 14, 2017 4:01 PM
0 0
Sounds absolutely awful. They couldn't leave well enough alone, I suppose. LOTR are some of the greatest films ever made. I want to punch everyone associated with this.
Nov 14, 2017 6:37 PM
0 0
IllyriaSounds absolutely awful. They couldn't leave well enough alone, I suppose. LOTR are some of the greatest films ever made. I want to punch everyone associated with this.

That it wasn't done far sooner is the real shocker, much like a movie character in 2017 saying "pwn".
Nov 14, 2017 6:43 PM
0 0
I'm not disappointed that they're making a LOTR series. I am because Amazon is doing it.
Not to veer too off-topic, but is anyone else unimpressed by their original content offerings? Lore is the only one I haven't stopped watching after episode 1 and it doesn't really count since it's not entirely original.
Nov 14, 2017 6:50 PM
0 0
There is Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. If someone has a vision they can take a bad idea and make it good. That's what has to happen here.

Nov 14, 2017 7:22 PM
0 0
MaxRennI'm not disappointed that they're making a LOTR series. I am because Amazon is doing it.
Not to veer too off-topic, but is anyone else unimpressed by their original content offerings? Lore is the only one I haven't stopped watching after episode 1 and it doesn't really count since it's not entirely original.

Sneaky Pete is great with the caveat that the final episode doesn't fit style wise with the rest of the series.
You would have no problem watching beyond the first episode. Catastrophe is also a very funny show with really likeable characters. But I?
did not take it beyond the second season.
Nov 14, 2017 7:30 PM
0 0
Robin McDonald
MaxRennI'm not disappointed that they're making a LOTR series. I am because Amazon is doing it.

Sneaky Pete is great with the caveat that the final episode doesn't fit style wise with the rest of the series.
You would have no problem watching beyond the first episode. Catastrophe is also a very funny show with really likeable characters. But I?

That's good to know about Pete. I'll give it another shot. The pilot played out like a CBS pilot I've seen several times before.
Nov 14, 2017 7:57 PM
0 0
News makes me physically ill.
Nov 15, 2017 12:13 AM
0 0
Robin McDonald

I think Catastrophe is top tier comedy. Probably one of my favorite shows. Bosch is also a solid police show. Sure, it doesn't necessarily bring anything new to the table or break any barriers, but it's still very well done and engaging.

Is Fortitude from them? I think that one's European, but it's damn great too.

What else do they have?
Nov 15, 2017 1:59 AM
0 0
The Hobbit movies only made LOTR films even more extraordinary.

I don't need this show & I'm probably not watching.
Nov 15, 2017 3:19 AM
0 0
I'm really surprised to see the Tolkein Estate working with this project. They were angry after Lord of the Rings. They must be infuriated after The Hobbit. I'm surprised they would work with anyone now.
Nov 15, 2017 4:00 AM
0 0
TeamCanadaThe Hobbit movies only made LOTR films even more extraordinary.

I don't need this show & I'm probably not watching.

This could be taken as a compliment or an insult.
Nov 15, 2017 4:03 AM
0 0
Bump
Nov 15, 2017 4:36 AM
0 0
Ten possible Tolkien source tales

While I don't trust Amazon to do justice to any of these, I've got to admit that the Numinor saga could be awesome if done right...
Nov 15, 2017 4:51 PM
0 0
No FaceTen possible Tolkien source tales

While I don't trust Amazon to do justice to any of these, I've got to admit that the Numinor saga could be awesome if done right...

Yeah it all comes down to the writing. There is a lot of material to draw upon (even moreso depending on if even more material has been opened up by the Tolkiens). An anthology series could be really cool. But I think they will want to go with Aragorn pre-Rings material for the most part. That would seem to me to be the strongest way to attract potential audience with a familiar and liked character, who would be going all over the place, under different names, doing different things. It would seem to me to be not only the easiest road to go in terms of development, but also in terms of target audience. It will all depend on the writing, obviously. The potential is there for something really cool. But then again, the potential to really screw things up is there, too.

Robin McDonaldI'm really surprised to see the Tolkein Estate working with this project. They were angry after Lord of the Rings. They must be infuriated after The Hobbit. I'm surprised they would work with anyone now.

If I recall, the Tolkien estate in general was pleased with the movies, it was Chris Tolkien alone that despised them and swore off the rights to further material. But I believe he recently stepped down, so who knows what may happen now. But at the end of the day I'm sure there's a good reason for their willingness in this project. Zey vants ze moneys Lebowski. Yah, give us your money or ve takes it!
Nov 15, 2017 5:20 PM
0 0