Spielberg

Original Poster
The new HBO documentary has been out for a month or so. It's a little hagiographic, but that's to be expected. I mean, you know, Steven Spielberg, the most successful popular filmmaker of our time, of all time perhaps. Capra? Please.

The film is a little haphazard in chronology, jumping over some films, sometimes returning to them later, but it follows more of a thematic arc in his development. As it is, the only few films of his that I think are legitimately terrible are given their appropriate short shrift. I think The Terminal was given, like, a single shot, and I liked how the only scene used from Hook was during a voice-over admitting that some of his films weren't quite as good as others. We also see Poltergeist a few times, as if he made it or something (heh).

The gold, for me, was unearthing some home movies from the 70s titans, hanging out, partying. I can only imagine being a fly on the wall of one of these soirees where Scorsese, De Palma, Coppola, Lucas and Spielberg shot the shit with each other. (Keen eyes may also spot lesser-named but important figures like Paul Bartel, Lawrence Kasden, John Milius and William Huyck in the mix, as well as producers Michael and Julia Phillips.)

Some intriguing glimpses at Spielberg's early films, student films and TV work. We learn that De Palma's confusion was the inspiration for the opening text-crawl in Star Wars. I also wasn't really aware of the extent of Spielberg's family drama over the years, including his estrangement and reconciliation with his father. All in all, a fittingly austere purview of the man and his movies. Check it out if you haven't.
Nov 14, 2017 12:47 AM
0 0
Yes, it's come to this.

Duel - 8.5
Something Evil - 7
Sugarland Express - 8
Jaws - 10
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 10
1941 - 7
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10
E.T the Extraterrestrial - 9.5
(Poltergeist - 9.5)
Twilight Zone: The Movie - 9
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom - 8
The Color Purple - 8
Empire of the Sun - 8
Always - 6
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade - 8.5
Hook - 4
Jurassic Park - 9
Schindler's List - 9.5
The Lost World - 7
Amistad - 7
Saving Private Ryan - 8.5
A.I. - 9.5
Minority Report - 8.5
Catch Me If You Can - 8
The Terminal - 5
The War of the Worlds - 6
Munich - 8
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 4
Adventures of Tintin - 7.5
War Horse - 6
Lincoln - 7.5
Bridge of Spies - 7.5
Nov 14, 2017 1:01 AM
0 0
I can't believe you forgot about The BFG. That was another recent Spielberg film, and is underrated in my opinion.
Nov 14, 2017 1:51 AM
0 0
Matt NorcrossI can't believe you forgot about The BFG. That was another recent Spielberg film, and is underrated in my opinion.

I didn't forget about it. I haven't seen it, so I can't rate it.
Nov 14, 2017 1:54 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Matt NorcrossI can't believe you forgot about The BFG. That was another recent Spielberg film, and is underrated in my opinion.

I didn't forget about it. ?I haven't seen it, so I can't rate it.

Sorry...?
But still, I definitely recommend it. It's great for what it is, and I think Roald Dahl would be proud.
Nov 14, 2017 1:56 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanYes, it's come to this.

NO! You monster!

I was curious about the movie, but every review's basically said it's a surface skim of the man's work - though the footage you discuss with the Film Brats has me intrigued, if just a bit. I have an older tome on Spielberg written just after Schindler's List called Spielberg: A Life by Joseph McBride. Relies a lot on tertiary sources and archived interviews but fairly comprehensive at least through 1993.

Bridge of Spies - B+
Lincoln - B+
The Adventures of Tintin - B+
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - C
Munich - A-
War of the Worlds - C+
The Terminal - B-
Catch Me If You Can - A-
Minority Report - B+
A.I. Artificial Intelligence - B
Saving Private Ryan - B-
The Lost World: Jurassic Park - C-
Schindler's List - A-
Jurassic Park - B
Hook - D+
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - A
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - A (first third), C (second third), A+ (final third)
"Kick the Can," The Twilight Zone - F
Poltergeist - A-
E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial - A+
Raiders of the Lost Ark - A+
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - A-
Jaws - A
The Sugarland Express - B
Duel - B+
Nov 14, 2017 2:00 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanYes, it's come to this.

Duel - 8.5
Something Evil - 7
Sugarland Express - 8
Jaws - 10
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 10
1941 - 7
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10
E.T the Extraterrestrial - 9.5
(Poltergeist - 9.5)
Twilight Zone: The Movie - 9
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom - 8
The Color Purple - 8
Empire of the Sun - 8
Always - 6
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade - 8.5
Hook - 4
Jurassic Park - 9
Schindler's List - 9.5
The Lost World - 7
Amistad - 7
Saving Private Ryan - 8.5
A.I. - 9.5
Minority Report - 8.5
Catch Me If You Can - 8
The Terminal - 5
The War of the Worlds - 6
Munich - 8
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 4
Adventures of Tintin - 7.5
War Horse - 6
Lincoln - 7.5
Bridge of Spies - 7.5

As painful as it is agreeing with people, I have no issue with these ratings.
Nov 14, 2017 2:05 AM
0 0
DaMU"Kick the Can," The Twilight Zone - F

Spielberg's was the weakest segment in the film, and it provides our first glimpse at his more amberized sentimentality, but I just can't hate on Scatman like that.

In the context of short work, "The Mission" from Amazing Stories is just about essential enough to include a mention. Padded with another 30 or 40 minutes, it would have been a pretty terrific film.
Nov 14, 2017 2:15 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan

Spielberg's was the weakest segment in the film, and it provides our first glimpse at his more amberized sentimentality, but I just can't hate on Scatman like that.

In the context of short work, "The Mission" from Amazing Stories is just about essential enough to include a mention. ?Padded with another 30 or 40 minutes, it would have been a pretty terrific film.

I had an almost violent reaction to "Kick the Can." It might've been a flashpoint. Heard so much over the years that Spielberg was too schmaltzy and sentimental, and I was always like, "Nah, he's great," and then "Kick the Can" burst the dam. It was 25 minutes of something throwing refined sugar at my face.

I love Scatman too much to let it slide that Spielberg shoved him in that nonsense.
Nov 14, 2017 2:20 AM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsOkay, so I know I haven't seen too much of his filmography, but in my defense, I'm still the youngest active member on this forum.

Jaws - 9/10
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 7/10
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 9/10
E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - 6/10
The Twilight Zone: The Movie - (I rated the film 7/10, but the segment Spielberg made was my least favorite one from the film)
The Temple of Doom - 7/10
The Last Crusade - 7/10
Jurassic Park - 8/10
Schindler's List - 9/10
Saving Private Ryan - 9/10
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 5/10
War Horse - 6/10

I notice you don't give anything a 10/10. What about the 9/10's made them not-perfect?
Also the Close Encounters rating is too low.
Nov 14, 2017 2:39 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan

In the context of short work, "The Mission" from Amazing Stories is just about essential enough to include a mention. ?Padded with another 30 or 40 minutes, it would have been a pretty terrific film.

I love The Mission. Might be my favorite Amazing Story. Fantastic cast, and "the moment" didn't feel cheesy to me.
Now I have to go back and watch it again.

Nov 14, 2017 2:41 AM
0 0
Duel 10
ET 4
Nov 14, 2017 2:55 AM
0 0
Captain TerrorDuel 10
ET 4

Nov 14, 2017 3:04 AM
0 0
Captain TerrorDuel 10
ET 4

That sophomore slump can be hard to beat. Hope he bounces back with The Post.
Nov 14, 2017 3:19 AM
0 0
Popcorn Reviews
Death Proof
Popcorn ReviewsOkay, so I know I haven't seen too much of his filmography, but in my defense, I'm still the youngest active member on this forum.

Jaws - 9/10
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 7/10
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 9/10
E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - 6/10
The Twilight Zone: The Movie - (I rated the film 7/10, but the segment Spielberg made was my least favorite one from the film)
The Temple of Doom - 7/10
The Last Crusade - 7/10
Jurassic Park - 8/10
Schindler's List - 9/10
Saving Private Ryan - 9/10
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 5/10
War Horse - 6/10

I notice you don't give anything a 10/10. What about the 9/10's made them not-perfect?
Also the Close Encounters rating is too low.

I'll just copy and paste a comment I wrote on my rating system from my sci-fi movie club:

As for my rating system, it's gotten much stricter over time. My rating system use to be: 10/10 = No flaws and 9/10 = 1 flaw. However, I decided to amend that rating system, because all too often, I got the feeling that I was giving too many films free passes. For instance, I couldn't find any flaws with both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Source Code. However, that doesn't mean that the latter is just as good as 2001. I think there's a difference between doing everything perfect and not having any flaws. Here's the criteria for the top few ratings in my current rating system (the one I'm comfortable with).

8/10 Amazing: I can't find anything major I disliked about these films. There may be one or two minor issues I had, but they're usually insignificant when factored against everything I liked about them. These movies may not give me a feeling of "I couldn't have enjoyed this any more". However, I have no issue with revisiting them as my opinion may possibly grow (this has happened before).

9/10 Brilliant: Like films I give 8/10 to, I can't find anything I disliked about these movies as well. I also don't have any minor issues with them. However, what sets these films apart from 8/10 films is that I find more merits with them. They still don't give me a sense of perfection, but they sure come close to doing so.

10/10 Masterpiece: I can't think of anything I disliked about these movies. Not only do I think these movies are perfect, but I feel like they are untouchable and awe-inspiring. I doubt that I could've enjoyed them anymore.
------
The number of times I've given these ratings:
8/10: 144
9/10: 51
10/10: 16
Source: IMDb

The 10' and 9's would certainly get recognition from me if I were to create a "Best Films of All Time" list.

Oh fuck off.
Nov 14, 2017 3:26 AM
0 0
Nov 14, 2017 3:59 AM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsE.T.: The Extra Terrestrial - 6/10

Captain TerrorE.T. - 4

Janson JinnistanE.T the Extraterrestrial - 9.5

DaMUE.T.: The Extra Terrestrial - A+

Nov 14, 2017 4:45 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan

I liked the segment.
It's not really spooky or anything, but I thought it was a nice little story, well-told, and of course, Scatman.
And I actually don't like Spielberg specifically for this kind of thing, but I liked it here. I guess he is good at sentimentality.
Nov 14, 2017 6:25 AM
0 0
Captain TerrorDuel 10
ET 4

I also do not care for ET and I like it much less with the guns taken out of it. What a pussy.
Nov 14, 2017 6:27 AM
0 0
Wooley
Captain TerrorDuel 10
ET 4

I also do not care for ET and I like it much less with the guns taken out of it. What a pussy.

Thanks for the backup. I mean, it's fine, I'm just not convinced it's any better than Explorers or any number of 80s kid movies. I acknowledge that the rest of the civilized world disagrees with me, but every now and then I feel feisty and have to bad-mouth ET.

Wasn't trying to be a Debbie Downer on the thread though. Spielberg annoys me a lot of the time, but he's made some of my favorite movies. Only half-joking about Duel being a 10.
Nov 14, 2017 1:38 PM
0 0