I've kind of lost interest in video games.

Original Poster
And I sort of wish I hadn't, because the things brought me so much joy over the years. I want to pop a game in the machine and lose myself in its world the way I used to.

I think it's a combination of age, jadedness and a growing hatred of what video games have become.

I liked playing a game through to completion in a nice long single-player experience that rewarded you for spending time exploring and perfecting your skills, but now the emphasis is on online competition, which I have no interest in at all.

Additionally, the major plus of consoles was that you'd buy the game, it'd work and you could finish it and wait a few years for a sequel. Now you buy the game, it takes forever to install, takes huge space on the hard drive, and you have to download patches on the first day, and you get nagged to buy DLC or whatever. I mean, you really should probably just get a PC now.

Modern games are seemingly just a infection vector for a series of purchases, almost like those stupidly difficult arcade games that stole kids' coins.

Also, and this is pure luddism on my part, I want a physical copy. I stil have copies of most of the games I've bought over the years and with the exception of some of the oldest Windows titles, they still work. Hell, you can still pick up games on eBay.

I realise this is all just old-man blathering and there are still good games around, but no matter how good the production has gotten, I can't see myself enjoying AAA titles the way I used to. I also realise this is why independent games have exploded lately, but they mostly feel like needless nostalgia-baiting to me.
Nov 12, 2017 5:51 AM
0 0
The one game series I thought would finally get me to spring for a PS4, Gran Turismo, now only has a limited single-player mode, a limited number of cars and is heavily online focused. Bugger that.
Nov 12, 2017 6:00 AM
0 0
I would understand your qualms about today's games if there wasn't such a thriving indie scenes dedicated to making games that are like the games of yesteryear. I still play games a lot, but I can't play long involving single player games anymore. Especially JRPGs, for example i've barely put a dent into Persona 5. For me to play those games they have to be some of the greatest games of all time. They just take up too much time and now that I have my own money I can afford to do other things. So usually when I want my gaming fix I play a round or two of Call of Duty online.
Nov 12, 2017 6:33 AM
0 0
DetrimentalI would understand your qualms about today's games if there wasn't such a thriving indie scenes dedicated to making games that are like the games of yesteryear. I still play games a lot, but I can't play long involving single player games anymore. Especially JRPGs, for example i've barely put a dent into Persona 5. For me to play those games they have to be some of the greatest games of all time. They just take up too much time and now that I have my own money I can afford to do other things. So usually when I want my gaming fix I play a round or two of Call of Duty online.

I mentioned independents, they're not really producing what I want.
Probably the game I spent the most time playing was Operation Flashpoint. The newest version, Arma, is now highly multiplayer focused. It seems like the one game that has expanded into what I want is Just Cause 3, so when console prices drop, I'll get that.
Nov 12, 2017 6:44 AM
0 0
theVictorian
DetrimentalI would understand your qualms about today's games if there wasn't such a thriving indie scenes dedicated to making games that are like the games of yesteryear. I still play games a lot, but I can't play long involving single player games anymore. Especially JRPGs, for example i've barely put a dent into Persona 5. For me to play those games they have to be some of the greatest games of all time. They just take up too much time and now that I have my own money I can afford to do other things. So usually when I want my gaming fix I play a round or two of Call of Duty online.

Probably the game I spent the most time playing was Operation Flashpoint. The newest version, Arma, is now highly multiplayer focused. It seems like the one game that has expanded into what I want is Just Cause 3, so when console prices drop, I'll get that.

Just Cause 3 is crap on consoles though. Better off getting it on PC.
Nov 12, 2017 6:45 AM
0 0
Also you should try Cuphead and then get back to me on whether it's good or not.
Nov 12, 2017 6:46 AM
0 0
Detrimental
theVictorian

Oh? What's wrong with it on consoles?
Nov 12, 2017 6:50 AM
0 0
theVictorian
Detrimental
theVictorian

The frame rate goes down to the tens sometimes. I think if you have a PS4 pro the experience is much better.
Nov 12, 2017 7:33 AM
0 0
Detrimental
theVictorian
Detrimental
theVictorian

The frame rate goes down to the tens sometimes. I think if you have a PS4 pro the experience is much better.

Ah, cool. I will be getting the Pro when I eventually buy a PS4.
Nov 12, 2017 7:40 AM
0 0
I've been playing Yakuza 0. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it and the two main characters you get to play, especially Majima. Briggm bought it for me as I' m always banging on about how one of my all-time favourite games was a Dreamcast one called Shenmue. Yakuza is much better. It's hilariously funny, graphically violent, not very PC and loads of fun. You really feel the plight of the characters. It's set in 1988 and the tech jokes are great. I'm now thinking of digging out the PS3 just to play the series.
Nov 12, 2017 7:58 AM
0 0
There are more in-depth single player games that feature exploration not less; they simply take up a smaller piece of the overall scene. Granted, some of your favourite licences might be moving toward online competition, but if you want games that have a nice long single-player experience that reward you for time exploring and perfecting your skills, there are games a plenty. I will admit, however, that if my main avenue for gaming was a console, I'd probably lose interest as well.
Nov 12, 2017 2:57 PM
0 0
I still play games, but it's always old games like Crusader Kings 2. I haven't played a new game in ages.
Nov 12, 2017 3:45 PM
0 0
I feel ya. Are you interested in maybe developing a game? We are at a very nice place with development tools where there are lots of avenue for hobby work. I have something of an Undertale-esque narrative driven game and it isn't the most complex thing in the world to program
Nov 12, 2017 4:15 PM
0 0
As somebody who has been gaming since the atari 2600 I can't help sympathize; videogames have been in a rut for some time and I've lost a lot of intetest.

For me its the opposite though, I'm more burnt on open world games in general. They are very repetitive and often rely on innocuous side missions that serve only to artificially pad the length.

Mass Effect, The Witcher, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed - the list goes on.

The only series I follow with interest anymore is Dark Souls. While it might be open world, the emphasis is creating a core experience that is actually engaging while lending itself to replayability. Every moment feels unique and there are many ways to go about completing the game.

The indie genre does show promise, but many of those games are only mildly diverting or lack the budget to meet their true potential.

Nov 12, 2017 9:40 PM
0 0
I've kind of been the same and typically don't do online stuff at all, picked up shadow of war to feed my collecting stuff ocd, got bored of it and moved to watchdogs(which was more fun), but wanted something more straightforward - oddly enough I've found that in an online only game for the moment and have been playing marvel heroes omega. It's essentially ultimate alliance with online play, but of course you have to unlock characters through grinding or paying. still, with $10 initial investment I've got 4 characters unlocked to play and am having a fun time, and it's easy to jump in and out of without any worry of the online component since it's not really cooperative.
Nov 13, 2017 11:28 PM
0 0
BattyRoyI've kind of been the same and typically don't do online stuff at all, picked up shadow of war to feed my collecting stuff ocd, got bored of it and moved to watchdogs(which was more fun), but wanted something more straightforward - oddly enough I've found that in an online only game for the moment and have been playing marvel heroes omega. It's essentially ultimate alliance with online play, but of course you have to unlock characters through grinding or paying. still, with $10 initial investment I've got 4 characters unlocked to play and am having a fun time, and it's easy to jump in and out of without any worry of the online component since it's not really cooperative.

Ha...well, like a week after I spent $10 on this to get going, Disney announces they're dissolving the partnership with Heroes producing Gazillion and will shutter the game sometime in the near future.
So now all the characters, specials items, skins, etc., are all basically free. no indication yet of when the game servers will shut down, but for now you can play around with any characters you'd like. Certainly made things more interesting already, as there's tons of people playing with characters that you'd only very rarely see in action a few days ago.
Nov 16, 2017 3:24 PM
0 0
I still enjoy them, but I rarely finish a game anymore.
Nov 16, 2017 6:25 PM
0 0
I'm more into them than ever. There have been no shortage of great games for PS4 that I love (admittedly, many are cross-platform). Unfortunately I've gottten more into them at a time when my free time is as slim as it has ever been. That's less fun.
Nov 16, 2017 11:22 PM
0 0
NimChimpskyUnfortunately I've gottten more into them at a time when my free time is as slim as it has ever been.

Because of fidget spinners?
Nov 16, 2017 11:28 PM
0 0