New Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer

BaadroneI like what I'm seeing in these shots.

Don't get me wrong. There some gorgeous visuals in that trailer but I hope they give Luke and Rey their due and don't go overboard on the CGI. I'm also hoping they go dark, darker, darkest with Snoke and Rey.
Oct 10, 2017 8:58 PM
0 0
D.H.I'm also hoping they go dark, darker, darkest with Snoke and Rey.

But what does that mean? Do those words have some kind of, meaning in your thoughts, or is it just, stringing together three forms of an adjective but not really having any idea of how that string of adjectives would actually relate to a story? Are we talking, Palpatinesque goading which makes Rey cry? Rey catching on fire and screaming "I hate everything!"? Snoke breaks her neck and throws her over a cliff? Snoke killing younglings and forcing Rey to watch? Do your hopes actually have some form of idea, or are they just a string of repeating adjectives with no real way to determine if your hopes have been realized when you watch the movie?

Oct 10, 2017 11:02 PM
0 0
Thought the trailer was okay. Not feeling the "I'm afraid" angle for Luke at all. Doesn't feel anything like Luke Skywalker from the original trilogy. Feels really contrived. This is the guy who ran the Death Star a few hours after leaving home, faced Vader without preparation, faced down a Rancor, faced down Vader and Palpatine tag-team, and now suddenly he's afraid of an emo-hipster and a girl? Because they're powerful? And he's supposed to be a Jedi?
Oct 10, 2017 11:10 PM
0 0
Johnny HyperspaceThought the trailer was okay. Not feeling the "I'm afraid" angle for Luke at all. Doesn't feel anything like Luke Skywalker from the original trilogy. Feels really contrived. This is the guy who ran the Death Star a few hours after leaving home, faced Vader without preparation, faced down a Rancor, faced down Vader and Palpatine tag-team, and now suddenly he's afraid of an emo-hipster and a girl? Because they're powerful? And he's supposed to be a Jedi?

This is what happens when you don't make a sequel for thirty-some years. You don't get to fill in the blanks.
Oct 10, 2017 11:31 PM
0 0
some of the editing in the trailer looks deliberately misleading but wouldn't it be surprising if it turns out they were not misleading us? that we would see what looks like blatant misdirection, assume misdirection, then find out there was no misdirection at all? because if so then RIP General Leia. or not. Find Out This December!
Oct 11, 2017 12:41 AM
0 0
Oxnard Montalvosome of the editing in the trailer looks deliberately misleading but wouldn't it be surprising if it turns out they were not misleading us? that we would see what looks like blatant misdirection, assume misdirection, then find out there was no misdirection at all? because if so then RIP General Leia. or not. Find Out This December!

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."
Oct 11, 2017 2:33 AM
0 0
Johnny HyperspaceBut what does that mean? Do those words have some kind of, meaning in your thoughts....

Sorry for confusing you. I hope they go dark with it. Other than that I really don't give enough of a shit, shitter, shittest to be specific.
Oct 11, 2017 2:39 AM
0 0
It does look like they are setting the series up for a more interesting conflict than the generic good vs. evil, empire vs. rebels power struggle, and I can appreciate that. In terms of story, where do you really go after the ot? It seems like they may have found an interesting angle to approach the universe.

Much like Gaurdians 2, which also dealt with dark subject matter(there is a scene where starlord stumbles across a boneyard of his dead kin for cryin' out loud!), there was an odd break in tone between those darker moments and lighthearted, cutesy family fare. Gaurdians gave us doe-eyed baby groot, The Last Jedi will give us... doe-eyed space gerbils?

Oct 11, 2017 4:33 AM
0 0
D Ray
Oxnard Montalvosome of the editing in the trailer looks deliberately misleading but wouldn't it be surprising if it turns out they were not misleading us? that we would see what looks like blatant misdirection, assume misdirection, then find out there was no misdirection at all? because if so then RIP General Leia. or not. Find Out This December!

wait 'til I get going!

btw I bet Chewbacca is going to name his otter/puffin friend "Han" (or "Ben") and America is going to melt.
Oct 11, 2017 4:54 AM
0 0
Oxnard Montalvo
D Ray

wait 'til I get going!

btw I bet Chewbacca is going to name his otter/puffin friend "Han" (or "Ben") and America is going to melt.

Oct 11, 2017 12:25 PM
0 0

When I saw the walkers in the Rogue One trailer they seemed like they belonged, in a world fully realized, and interactive... This looks so staged...Something artificial about it.
Oct 11, 2017 1:04 PM
0 0
Johnny HyperspaceThought the trailer was okay. Not feeling the "I'm afraid" angle for Luke at all. Doesn't feel anything like Luke Skywalker from the original trilogy. Feels really contrived. This is the guy who ran the Death Star a few hours after leaving home, faced Vader without preparation, faced down a Rancor, faced down Vader and Palpatine tag-team, and now suddenly he's afraid of an emo-hipster and a girl? Because they're powerful? And he's supposed to be a Jedi?

Maybe because Kylo and Rey are so naturally adept at the Force, that they can call upon its powers to do unimaginable things, even beyond the Jedi or Sith, which has been my theory all along. Kind of like Galen Marek, only far more shoved into the plot.

Luke was afraid during those instances, but he controlled his fear. With these two, there may be no controlling them.

Misinception!
Oct 11, 2017 3:30 PM
0 0
So, is making pebbles hover a couple inches off the ground the new super power?
Oct 11, 2017 3:53 PM
0 0
As fanboyish as I can be about my Star Wars, I'm worried about the direction of the big saga movies. The final verdict for The Force Awakens hinges on The Last Jedi, it's just too ambiguous to stand on its own. This new trailer reinforces my fear that they've made Luke cowardly and weak. To top off my skepticism, Abrams is back in the director's chair for the final installment.

On the optimistic side, the visuals look awesome. I was surprised at how nice the detail in Snoke's face looks. Oh, and it's nice that Phasma gets to actually do something, she was such a strange, useless character in The Force Awakens.
Oct 11, 2017 5:45 PM
0 0
B.A.BaracasSo, is making pebbles hover a couple inches off the ground the new super power?

I wonder if Porgs are the new Ysalamiri.
Oct 11, 2017 10:07 PM
0 0
88 Miles Per Hour

When I saw the walkers in the Rogue One trailer they seemed like they belonged, in a world fully realized, and interactive... This looks so staged...Something artificial about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv86ObC4d7I @1:12
The walkers were rendered into a battle scene that was filmed on location in a completely real organic and natural environment, and they used a non-steady camera style with the intent of making you feel like you were down in the trenches with them, with no regard to framing something just right or trying to create shots that look appropriate for framing on a wall. What we're seeing here is very much the opposite.
Oct 12, 2017 3:32 AM
0 0
D Ray
Lupita Nyong'o, IMO, comes through just fine in her part, because we SEE her face (under the CGI). With the mask on, Kylo Ren is simply too much like Vader.

???? Maz Katana looks nothing like Lupita Nyong'o. Maz Katana is an old, orange pruning alien with goggles. And the CGI masks or distorts (I think in a distracting way) nearly all of Lupita's physical acting mannerisms and instincts, her nuanced gestures and expressions. Not casting Lupita in her own form was a mistake and frankly an utterly bizarre decision. Why the hell would you want to transform Lupita Nyong'o into CGI? Let someone else be your CGI alien.

D RayThird paragraph: See second paragraph. Yes, "very menacing"... just like Vader. Again, let's not have "Junior" show up too often. And yes, he has the whiny angsty emo hipster temperament because that's what he is. He's NOT Vader. He's trying to be Vader, but he doesn't have the "history" (and he's got too many healthy arms and legs). If this is the way they're going, let's not waste it. Remember, he's killed his own father, now we see him (possibly) bearing down on the ship his mother is in. Can he pull the trigger (no, because we've already been told Leia is in Episode IX)? Then what does he do when he can't do the deed?
Regardless, it's a different dynamic for this trilogy. Snoke is the bad guy, Kylo Ren is the new Anakin, but maybe the Dark Side doesn't pull him in all the way, giving him some proxy redemption for Anakin, his grandfather.

I get the angle, but like I said, it just makes for a much less compelling villain. We'll see how other players step up in the sequel. I prefer a menacing, charismatic villain, even a Vader clone, to a bland, ineffectual, or inconsequential villain.

Oct 12, 2017 6:35 PM
0 0
Izzy Black
?D Ray
Lupita Nyong'o, IMO, comes through just fine in her part, because we SEE her face (under the CGI). With the mask on, Kylo Ren is simply too much like Vader.

???? Maz Katana looks nothing like Lupita Nyong'o. Maz Katana is an old, orange pruning alien with goggles. And the CGI masks or distorts (I think in a distracting way) nearly all of Luptita's physical acting mannerisms and instincts, her nuanced gestures and expressions. Not casting Luptita in her own form was a mistake and frankly an utterly bizarre decision. Why the hell would you want to transform Lupita Nyong'o into CGI? Let someone else be your CGI alien.

?D RayThird paragraph: See second paragraph. Yes, "very menacing"... just like Vader. Again, let's not have "Junior" show up too often. And yes, he has the whiny angsty emo hipster temperament because that's what he is. He's NOT Vader. He's trying to be Vader, but he doesn't have the "history" (and he's got too many healthy arms and legs). If this is the way they're going, let's not waste it. Remember, he's killed his own father, now we see him (possibly) bearing down on the ship his mother is in. Can he pull the trigger (no, because we've already been told Leia is in Episode IX)? Then what does he do when he can't do the deed?
Regardless, it's a different dynamic for this trilogy. Snoke is the bad guy, Kylo Ren is the new Anakin, but maybe the Dark Side doesn't pull him in all the way, giving him some proxy redemption for Anakin, his grandfather.

I get the angle, but like I said, it just makes for a much less compelling villain. We'll see how other players step up in the sequel. I prefer a menacing, charismatic villain, even a Vader clone, to a bland, ineffectual, or inconsequential villain.

That's because Kylo Ren isn't the villain. It may be Snoke, but remember, we thought Vader was the real villain in TOT, but it was the emperor. Ren is just the conduit through which we'll find out who the real villain is. And therefore, the real villain may be someone behind Snoke.
This deepens the mystery and the story, that it's NOT following the OT exactly. Yes, we have a new hero, but we also have someone who is of the Dark Side who may (or may not) assist her in her journey.

What if Kylo Ren really does become her teacher, and together they fulfill the "sibling quest" we didn't get to see in the OT?
What if Snoke is someone from the OT we don't even realize, like the emperor who survived being thrown down the shaft by Vader?
What if Luke actually points Rey to Kylo, knowing her Light can help redeem him?

These are the things I'd think about. I'm a writer, and the "what if" question is the crux of every story.
Oct 12, 2017 9:56 PM
0 0
D Ray
What if Snoke is someone from the OT we don't even realize, like the emperor who survived being thrown down the shaft by Vader?

Only if he forms a Legion Of The Doomed with Boba Fett and Mace Windu.

On that note, if anyone thinks Fett isn't gonna cameo his way into this... I don't know what to tell you. I mean, I REALLY DON'T KNOW. But I bet he'll pop up in the most foreshadowed way possible.
Oct 12, 2017 10:46 PM
0 0
Here's how I would've fixed TFA to actually be interesting:

1. Remove Snoke, the First Order, and Starkiller base. It's just rehashing old plot lines. "Resisting" an organization that isn't in power doesn't make sense.

2. Instead of having a "man behind the curtain" like Snoke, Kylo Ren is simply the bad guy. After being trained by Luke, Ben Solo turned to the dark side and assumed the name Kylo Ren. He began an attempt to restore the Sith to power, gathering the remnants of the Imperial power structure and bringing it under his command. He is now the Rebellion, and he moves about the galaxy searching for force sensitive people to destroy them as they are a threat to his power.

3. Luke, having failed to restore the Jedi and losing his nephew to the Dark Side, goes into seclusion to search for answers from the Force. He knows he can end Kylo Ren, but he can't bring himself to destroy him just like he could not destroy Vader, but he also does not think Kylo can be redeemed.

4. Han and Leia are estranged just as they were in TFA. Leia, losing political favor with the Republic due to her son being the homicidal maniac roving the galaxy, now leads a small and independent force trying to intercede where they can and to find and hide force sensitives.

5. Han, returning to his smuggling ways, found and takes on a young girl whom he later discovers is force sensitive. The girl, Rey, is smart and capable, but cocky and roguish. He saw himself in her, but as she crewed for him he learned the truth about her abilities. This leads to inner conflict, his failures as a father, his desire to protect her, to hide her, but also a constant reminder of what happened with his son. He keeps her abilities a secret, even from her. He knows he should take her to see Luke, but he can't bring himself to expose her to that and he still blames and resents Luke for what happened to Ben.

6. Paths intersect, Kylo discovers Rey and Han, and is incensed that the father who abandoned him now has a surrogate, force sensitive daughter. He confronts and kills Han, and becomes obsessed with finding and killing Rey, eventually coming to the realization that every Sith lord needs an apprentice, and that she would be the perfect candidate.
Oct 13, 2017 1:59 AM
0 0