ACLU Campus Free Speech Event shut down by protesters

Original Poster
http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/04/black-lives-matter-students-shut-down-th

This behavior isn't good. Also, liberalism is white supremacy apparently.

I'd like to think the people chanting "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution" will someday be super embarrassed by their college days.
Oct 5, 2017 3:02 AM
0 0
Esoteric Allusionhttp://reason.com/blog/2017/10/04/black-lives-matter-students-shut-down-th

I'd like to think the people chanting "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution" will someday be super embarrassed by their college days.

Oh for fuck's sake. This is fucking gasoline for the right on this issue.
Oct 5, 2017 3:05 AM
0 0
No it fucking isn't. I remember I was reading a thread on neogaf(a gaming messageboard) the other day and the majority of them believe that speech disparaging minorities should be a jailable offense. How the hell are we going backwards with this issue? I guess time really is a flat circle.
Oct 5, 2017 3:05 AM
0 0
DetrimentalNo it fucking isn't. I remember I was reading a thread on neogaf(a gaming messageboard) the other day and the majority of them believe that speech disparaging minorities should be a jailable offense. How the hell are we going backwards with this issue? I guess time really is a flat circle.

I wouldn't define that as going "backwards." This is more an example of the shitty part of the left wing on social issues. Like Zuben, whose views on this sort of issue are shitty.
Oct 5, 2017 3:07 AM
0 0
Soave's comment "Moving quickly from "nazis don't have free speech" to "people who say nazis have free speech don't have free speech" was also my immediate reaction.

I'm curious to see if we get more of this.

0 0
Bigwig
Esoteric Allusionhttp://reason.com/blog/2017/10/04/black-lives-matter-students-shut-down-th

Has there ever been such a divide amongst Americans when it comes to politics before? I guess maybe the 60s, but I wasn't alive then. Which I guess is why i'm asking you Bigwig.
0 0
Detrimental
Bigwig

Has there ever been such a divide amongst Americans when it comes to politics before? I guess maybe the 60s, but I wasn't alive then. Which I guess is why i'm asking you Bigwig.

The Civil War seems like a decent example.
Oct 5, 2017 3:08 AM
0 0
Bigwig
DetrimentalNo it fucking isn't. I remember I was reading a thread on neogaf(a gaming messageboard) the other day and the majority of them believe that speech disparaging minorities should be a jailable offense. How the hell are we going backwards with this issue? I guess time really is a flat circle.

I wouldn't define that as going "backwards." This is more an example of the shitty part of the left wing on social issues. Like Zuben, whose views on this sort of issue are shitty.

No man I think kids these days are becoming disillusioned with the entire free speech thing. And the ones that are not are likely to be alt-righters. It's fucking scary.
Oct 5, 2017 3:08 AM
0 0
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig

The Civil War seems like a decent example.

Meant like in modern times, but your contribution is noted.
Oct 5, 2017 3:09 AM
0 0
Bigwig

My views on this issue aren't left wing in the Western world, they are par for the course and nor are they aligned with the Black Lives protesters in question.
Oct 5, 2017 3:09 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Bigwig

No man I think kids these days are becoming disillusioned with the entire free speech thing. And the ones are not are likely to be alt-righters. It's fucking scary,

They are, but it isn't what I would label as "backwards." Backwards implies a regression to a time where free speech was more limited. And it's been one of the best parts of this nation's history. Part of the cost of freedom is to put up with white supremacists in Charlottesville.
Oct 5, 2017 3:10 AM
0 0
Zuben
Bigwig

My views on this issue aren't left wing in the Western world, they are par for the course and nor are they aligned with the Black Lives protesters in question.

Yeah, this is bullshit.
Oct 5, 2017 3:11 AM
0 0

Huh? The reactionary right uses extremists like this as a strawman for liberals and to generate outrage against their critics. This is ironic given that these people consider liberalism white supremacy and want white supremacists silenced. They then use this to feel validated in their views and to advocate for actions to shut down critics. It's a viscous cycle of illiberalism.
0 0
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig

No man I think kids these days are becoming disillusioned with the entire free speech thing. And the ones are not are likely to be alt-righters. It's fucking scary,

They are, but it isn't what I would label as "backwards." Backwards implies a regression to a time where free speech was more limited. And it's been one of the best parts of this nation's history. Part of the cost of freedom is to put up with white supremacists in Charlottesville.

Yeah but those kids grow up to be people who can vote and help change laws.
0 0
Esoteric Allusion

Huh? The reactionary right uses extremists like this as a strawman for liberals and to generate outrage against their critics. This is ironic given that these people consider liberalism white supremacy and want white supremacists silenced. They then use this to feel validated in their views and to advocate for actions to shut down critics. It's a viscous cycle of illiberalism.

I agree with this and was agreeing with your OP, EA.
Oct 5, 2017 3:13 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig

I'm aware. I'm saying it can't be "backward" (at least in this country) if it's a new restriction on free speech that never existed.
Oct 5, 2017 3:14 AM
0 0
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig

I'm aware. I'm saying it can't be "backward" (at least in this country) if it's a new restriction on free speech that never existed.

How is that not backwards? You had a standard for 100s of years and you're now regressing. That's going backwards. That's what I meant.
Oct 5, 2017 3:17 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Esoteric Allusion

I agree with this and was agreeing with your OP, EA.

Ah. I read you as disagreeing with Bigwig above you. That's why I was confused by what you wrote.
Oct 5, 2017 3:17 AM
0 0
Zuben
Bigwig

Have you seen Republican legislators' attempts to ban cultural studies from public universities on racially divisive, hate speech grounds? Do you think maybe, just maybe you're advocating to purchase someone a gun who wants to shoot you with it?
Oct 5, 2017 3:18 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig

How is that not backwards? You had a standard for 100s of years and you're now regressing. That's going backwards. That's what I meant.

Oh, it's regression on free speech. But these people don't view it as a "return to olden times." They see it as a progressive movement for humanity. Or some bullshit.
Oct 5, 2017 3:22 AM
0 0