blade runner sitting at 97% right now

Axterix
D.H.I just don't get it. Even with two other (admittedly feeble) movies opening (The Mountain Between Us and My Little Pony: The Movie) this still underperformed.

I didn't expect it to blow up huge, and don't get why some people thought it would. It's Blade Runner. Sure, highly regarded, but always a bit of a cult thing, never a huge smash.Nor is it action laden, CGI-fest to get the popcorn flick types into theaters. More cerebral sci-fi has always been niche.

Given the type of movie, like with the recent Ghostbusters, it makes me what the guys approving the large blockbuster budget were thinking. That said, with people liking the movie overall, I expect that this Blade Runner will provide a decent stream of income over time.

Rated NCC-1701With as much backhanded hoopla as there is about bronies, My Little Pony should've done WAY more. Between that and Blade Runner, I guess cults ain't what they used to be.

The Brony fandom peaked around season 3, the show essentially wrapped up its character arcs for the main cast with season 5 (hence the addition of the Twilight Mk 2 aka Starlight Glimmer), and Meghan McCarthy is no Faust (nor is the current showrunner, though he's better than McCarthy). There really wasn't much hype for the movie, with the advertising and posters focused on celebrity guest stars and not the loved members of the cast, and mediocre reviews didn't help turn that around.

With its 2d animation, I figure the movie is pretty much one of those straight-to-DVD types of movies that they decide to give a theatrical showing to. Except in this case, they actually intended it for the big screen from the start. If they wanted to make actual money, though, they should have gone with 3d animation to attract audiences and/or put Faust in charge (with lots of control). The latter would definitely have generated hype among the many bronies who have drifted away from the fandom.

Regarding 2049's budget, the suits were probably thinking "HURRR OMG NOLAN INCEPTION IZ SMART SYFY WEE MAYK SMART SIE-FIE TOO DURRR", which is why the ads concentrated on 2049's action.

As from Pony, I guess Hollywood and I are in the same boat: I didn't know that about the fanbase either - Hazel made sure of that. Frankly, if they turned on that kind of dime, were they really much of a fanbase at all?
Oct 9, 2017 2:52 PM
0 0
Rated NCC-1701As from Pony, I guess Hollywood and I are in the same boat: I didn't know that about the fanbase either - Hazel made sure of that. Frankly, if they turned on that kind of dime, were they really much of a fanbase at all?

It's not on a dime. The fanbase is still big enough to have a lot of conventions every year, the various sites are still doing fine (though that less fanwork is being produced is evident), and so on. Really, it's sort of par for the course. Most things that get hot don't have the longevity of Harry Potter, Star Wars, or Game of Thrones. Instead, they tend to spike, especially if what they're a fan of has a drop in quality. And also worth noting that a lot of bronies are/were high school kids. Lots of things change in life at that age, so only natural that which they watch changes as well, and so they don't actively participate in the fandom anymore. It is just the natural cycle of most fandoms. Just this one was newsworthy for a bit because "Oh nos! A show for girls has appeal to something outside of its demographic!", and further pushed into the public consciousness due to some trolling use and the amount of fanworks it produced.
Oct 10, 2017 12:17 AM
0 0
Loved this movies for all the reasons I loved the first one. Visuals telling it's own story while we slowly crawl through the story. One of the best realized worlds I have ever seen on film. They give scene time to breathe which is very rare. I don't know why they spent $150 million on this Blade runner doesn't have that type of fan base. Hopefully it can make most back internationally but this film will live on way past the current time just like the original.
Oct 10, 2017 1:45 AM
0 0
TheZapperI think the whole "Deckard is a replicant" all stems from Ridley having some extra footage from Legend he wanted to use up.

This is categorically false and was said, erroneously, by Jay "angsty hipster" Bauman of RedLetterMedia. He got wisely shredded for that comment and you deserve the same.
Oct 10, 2017 3:51 AM
0 0
Illyria
TheZapperI think the whole "Deckard is a replicant" all stems from Ridley having some extra footage from Legend he wanted to use up.

This is categorically false and was said, erroneously, by Jay "angsty hipster" Bauman of RedLetterMedia. He got wisely shredded for that comment and you deserve the same.

Let's just say that one's an urban legend.
Oct 10, 2017 3:55 AM
0 0
Puffin Nubbins
Illyria

Let's just say that one's an urban legend.

This guy...
Oct 10, 2017 7:49 AM
0 0
He say you brade runner!
Oct 10, 2017 9:05 AM
0 0
Just can't believe that it's done so poorly in terms of revenue... It's been a veritable famine at the theatres this year and people STILL didn't go see this?! What the hell!
Oct 10, 2017 1:08 PM
0 0
Is Blade Runner 2049 sexist -- or a fair depiction of a dystopian future?

"Visually, sexualised images of women dominate the stunning futuristic cityscapes, from pirouetting ballerinas to giant statues of naked women in heels looming over K as he goes on his journey. Of course, one of the themes of Blade Runner 2049 is a world littered with artifice, from replicants to sexbots, but these mainly seem to cater to heterosexual males. A hint of a woman considering a 'pleasure model' is brief and unexplored. Meanwhile Wright's Joshi appears attracted to K, but she is not permitted to use him for her sexual pleasure. Where is her holographic lover, her Joi?"

oh, brother...
Oct 10, 2017 2:15 PM
0 0
That reads like a long-form tone deaf tweet. The most egregious moment is when she quickly brushes off the performers that are arguably the MVPs with a dismissive remark.
Oct 10, 2017 2:24 PM
0 0
NathanielThat reads like a long-form tone deaf tweet. The most egregious moment is when she quickly brushes off the performers that are arguably the MVPs with a dismissive remark.

How about:
"Tweeters have also declared that Blade Runner 2049 fails the Bechdel test, which requires a film to feature two named female characters talking to each other about something other than a man. "

Well, if Tweeters have declared it, then I guess this movie is just no darn good! Bechdel test...what a load of fucking shit.
Oct 10, 2017 5:53 PM
0 0
138Is Blade Runner 2049 sexist -- or a fair depiction of a dystopian future?

"Visually, sexualised images of women dominate the stunning futuristic cityscapes, from pirouetting ballerinas to giant statues of naked women in heels looming over K as he goes on his journey. Of course, one of the themes of Blade Runner 2049 is a world littered with artifice, from replicants to sexbots, but these mainly seem to cater to heterosexual males. A hint of a woman considering a 'pleasure model' is brief and unexplored. Meanwhile Wright's Joshi appears attracted to K, but she is not permitted to use him for her sexual pleasure. Where is her holographic lover, her Joi?"

oh, brother...

Wait, we did have a conversation between two women about business, not the male protag. How does this not pass the "Bechtel Test"?

Meanwhile Wright's Joshi appears attracted to K, but she is not permitted to use him for her sexual pleasure.

GOOD GOD! She is "not permitted" for the same reason Harvey Weinstein is not morally permitted to use his underlings for sexual pleasure. She is his supervisor. She can have him killed on a whim. The reflexive failure of some feminists is gobsmacking.

Oct 10, 2017 8:52 PM
0 0