College Football 2017

Original Poster
Maybe Ohio State was looking ahead to Oklahoma?
Sep 1, 2017 8:40 PM
0 0
CaesarTheBootySqueezerMaybe Ohio State was looking ahead to Oklahoma?

I did not watch Ohio State play, but Oklahoma did look very good under new coach Lincoln Riley. The Sooners coaches called an excellent game on offense. One other consideration for OU is that even though Baker Mayfield played just one half and went 19 for 20 with 300+ yards, he wasn't as perfect as the numbers indicate. He played very well, but his receiving corp made plays which was a question mark going into the season. The Sooners lost both Samarje Perine and Joe Mixon at RB as well as their top wide receiver Dede Westbrook to the NFL. Their young skill position players still played excellently; all of their touchdowns were scored by different players. Furthermore, their tight end Mark Andrews showed a lot of talent, and I was especially impressed with fullback Dimitri Flowers. He's a traditional lead blocker, but they also often placed him in the slot and the wing where he was running excellent patterns and catching passes. Both Andrews and Flowers will have solid NFL careers.

The real match-up next week should be the Sooners' offensive line versus the Buckeyes' front 6/7. UTEP was simply out-manned as the holes were ridiculous in the running game, but that shouldn't be the case Saturday. Athlon Sports has the Sooners' offensive line as the nation's best (Ohio State's is 8th) while Athlon has the Buckeyes' defensive line as the #2 (OU's is 32nd).

OU is going to have to get a lead and make Ohio State throw the ball I'd bet, but I believe there's a good chance that they can do just that. This game should be great.

Oklahoma State beat a very good, mid-tier bowl-bound Tulsa team. Mason Rudolph and the OkSU offense are probably as good as anybody's. Unfortunately, my Cowboys are always bitches when it comes to scheduling their non-conference foes, and so Tulsa will be the best team they play until the Cowboys get into the heart of the Big 12. OkSU's cowardice irks me.

Maybe Kansas State has a say in this, but it looks more than likely that one of the Oklahoma teams takes the Big 12. West Virginia lost a close one to Virginia Tech, Texas was embarrassed by what I assume is a bad Big 10 Maryland team at home, and fucking Baylor lost to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. I know that the Big 12 is trying to add respectable, contributing programs to the conference, but they needed to have moved on by kicking Baylor out over the Spring. Not only are the Bears no longer good (Liberty?), they don't look to be good for a long time. And if the Big 12 tolerates Baylor's program which has lost all organizational control, then I have to assume this current collection of teams as a cohesive conference will be short-lived.

If I am OU and Texas' athletic directors/regents, then I'm on the phone daily with the SEC or The PAC 12. I don't see Texas and OU leaving each other anytime soon, but the better fit would be Texas to the PAC 12 and OU (and Oklahoma State) to the SEC. In terms of their academics and locations, those are simply the most logical destinations.
Sep 5, 2017 2:11 AM
0 0
Infinitus's Tennessee Volunteers won a two overtime game that I did not watch. Congratulations, Infinitus. How did they look?
Sep 5, 2017 3:48 AM
0 0
I watched all of it. They were fortunate to win.

Sep 5, 2017 3:56 AM
0 0
MosesInfinitus's Tennessee Volunteers won a two overtime game that I did not watch. Congratulations, Infinitus. How did they look?

Awful! I attended the contest and was tucked snugly into bed by 3:30.
Sep 6, 2017 2:54 AM
0 0
I was all excited about the season starting...and yet I watched an embarrassingly small amount of football this past weekend.? I didn't even know that Ohio State was playing on Thursday night until I was walking past a bar (just taking my daily walk) and I saw J.T. Barrett warming up on one of the TV screens.

If Hurricane Irma doesn't kill the power here this weekend, I'll probably watch a LOT more football this coming weekend.
Sep 6, 2017 5:59 AM
0 0
Feels weird watching Oklahoma perform in a big game.
Sep 10, 2017 2:33 AM
0 0
WrecklooseFeels weird watching Oklahoma perform in a big game.

The defending Sugar Bowl Champion Oklahoma Sooners?
Sep 10, 2017 2:47 AM
0 0
Moses

I tuned out after they started 1-2. The entire conference was out of playoff contention pretty fast.
Sep 10, 2017 2:58 AM
0 0
Wreckloose
Moses

I tuned out after they started 1-2. The entire conference was out of playoff contention pretty fast.

Oklahoma did win ten straight to close out the season, but they definitely didn't deserve to be in the playoff discussion.
Sep 10, 2017 3:01 AM
0 0
Draw a line of latitude and a line of longitude through Columbus, Ohio. In the upper right quadrant of this map, all of the college football teams must disband.
Sep 16, 2017 7:36 PM
0 0
There's a chance the 3 teams that left the Big12 all fire their coaches.
Sep 16, 2017 10:47 PM
0 0
Lotta free football for Tennessee fans this year.
Sep 16, 2017 11:05 PM
0 0
Infinitus CorsairLotta free football for Tennessee fans this year.

Why did you post that with 9 seconds left.
Sep 16, 2017 11:07 PM
0 0
That's rough. Should have just missed the fg.
Sep 16, 2017 11:08 PM
0 0
WrecklooseThat's rough. Should have just missed the fg.

Yeah. I'm not even really mad, though. They've been such keystone cops through the first two (real) games and the coaching staff are so addle-brained I have no real expectation of them actually accomplishing anything.
Sep 16, 2017 11:10 PM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair

Yeah. I'm not even really mad, though. They've been such keystone cops through the first two (real) games and the coaching staff are so addle-brained I have no real expectation of them actually accomplishing anything.

Exact same could be said for Florida.

But, Tennessee...that's the formation you choose to defend a last second play with a team 60 yards from your endzone?
Sep 16, 2017 11:12 PM
0 0
Moses
Infinitus Corsair

But, Tennessee...that's the formation you choose to defend a last second play with a team 60 yards from your endzone?

And, Florida's clock management on that drive...Jesus Christ, SEC. Pull your shit together.
Sep 16, 2017 11:14 PM
0 0
Moses
Moses
Infinitus Corsair

And, Florida's clock management on that drive...Jesus Christ, SEC. Pull your shit together.

Nick Saban has broken the SEC.
Sep 17, 2017 12:51 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
Moses
Moses
Infinitus Corsair

Nick Saban has broken the SEC.

I'm ready for Alabama to play the Oklahoma - Oklahoma State winner for all of the marbles. I have seen enough.
Sep 17, 2017 1:02 AM
0 0