SHIN GODZILLA REACTION THREAD

Original Poster
This is the thread where you react to SHIN GODZILLA. I already made one but someone felt compelled to make a shit show out of literally one person's reaction

KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF, KIDS

Okay, so, yeah, Godzilla. Why is it so hard to just do this kindly? Is it because I'm a vicious brain damaged cunt? Well, at least I try
Aug 12, 2017 6:46 PM
0 0
I thought it was a lot of fun! Godzilla's design was terrifying and I loved the abundance of purple lasers. The bureaucracy stuff was filmed in a way which I wasn't bored out of my mind and I was very interested in the politics put on display in a way other Godzillas haven't been able to capture. The action itself was spectacular with exploding miniatures, hellfire, lasers, just a huge shit show playground of mayhem. Fun! What a fun movie! What a fun franchise!
Aug 12, 2017 6:51 PM
0 0
Wow, I really love that Hideaki Anno directed this movie along with Shinji Higuchi (who has been working with Anno since Wings of Honneamise in '87 so it's not like I was ignoring him). His signatures were all over the place while adhering to the spirit and tone of the original (the spirit and tone I have in mind, like, the spirit which resonates with my spirit and not yours. You go figure out your own resonance) and felt like the movie was just enthusiastic in it's existence. It was very happy to be a thing, I like when a movie feels like it wants to be there, and I feel like this is part of the tragedy in Godzilla himself. He's just kinda awkward. I think he just wants a hug here

I've seen a great deal of Godzilla movies, maybe even all of the North American releases. Godzilla was a big import! I was in Ucluelet when I watched Godzilla vs Mothra for the first time and it was fucking awesome, and from there I watched every single thing with the name "Godzilla" on it. ALL OF IT. I watched some cheese ass Godzillas and generally rated them on how much Godzilla would savage the opposing monster. Some of his kills were BRUTAL, and I wanna see jaws get torn in half here not Godzilla dancing around with his son

I was right there with every single impactful moment in Japanese import culture. Akira was released 1990 on VHS and launched Manga Entertainment, my adolescence was ruled by the likes of Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, and whatever looked like it had the most blood and boobs. 2000 was the release of Princess Mononoke which I promptly secured on VHS and watched a gajillion times. It's my single most valuable possession. Canadian broadcasting premiered Sailor Moon in '95 and it's game over from there, Anime hit the mainstream. Dragon Ball Z, in all of it's edited glory, was the SHIT and it was also the first time as a kid hearing about the rampant censorship differences between versions. One of the first things I looked up on the internet, in general, was the episodes of Pokemon which weren't released on our shores due to...

And thus anime because something of the center as to how I understood the world as a globally functioning entity where one culture can produce work which resonates with every culture. Anime, in a sense, became the god meme in a way not even Simpsons or King of the Hill can come close to... they are too specifically American. America, in many regards, is entirely foreign to me, which IS why I can watch Simpsons and laugh but it also felt like something of a documentary. America never escaped it's parody. Japan loooooves to take the piss out of ra ra America. Canada too. Everyone really, like, the world thinks that America is a huge and dangerous joke

Anime, in it's inherent closet dwelling nerdiness, wasn't popular in high school like it was in elementary school. I joined the lunch hour anime club and first thing we watched, fresh on it's release, was mother of fucks FLCL

FLCL is humanity's greatest work of art. That is all

I'm locked in at that point, we all are. You don't go back from that. Of all the apocalypses I have experienced from birth to now, FLCL changed everything. That is what warped my generation. Thus I began to explore the name "Gainax"...
Aug 12, 2017 7:16 PM
0 0
Well I liked the first few minutes of it. Great direction and cinematography. Looking forward to seeing the rest tonight.

Aug 12, 2017 8:57 PM
0 0
Death ProofWell I liked the first few minutes of it. Great direction and cinematography. Looking forward to seeing the rest tonight.

It's a very lean movie and I recommend a rested head because Anno likes to put you in the center of several characters screaming at you to make a decision. It has a lot of fun with perspective in that sense, the camera finds itself in some interesting, yet very deliberate, places. There was one shot taken from a laptop webcam which blew my mind
Aug 12, 2017 9:11 PM
0 0
Everyone, the new thread is in here! That other one experienced the wrath of God, as I am very prone to opening one of my six mouths and singing the song to end the world when Americans feel compelled to drop bombs on me. We must move forward from the wreckage and band together to inspire a brighter tomorrow! There is no yesterday, there is only now!
Aug 12, 2017 9:14 PM
0 0