staying up to date on films and tv shows is damn near impossible

Original Poster
I don't understand how people can do 'year's best' lists. Where do they find the time enough to be able actually watch enough media to create such a list?

I feel like I'm in forever catch up mode with films and tv shows. Whether it be catching up on the great auteurs like Robert Altman to the latest pop culture hit like Game of Thrones. I'm the dude just getting floored by the series finale of Breaking Bad and now dying to catch up on Better Call Saul.

Sooo much damn accessible media nowadays. Unless being a critic is what puts food on the table for you...how the hell can you manage to have a firm grasp of what all is out there that deserves your time?

And this is coming from an incomplete person. I can't imagine how someone that is well-rounded and actually gets shit done/has a life manages to be up to date on all their favorite types of films and tv shows.
Aug 11, 2017 1:24 AM
0 0
I feel you, there definitely is an overabundance of good-quality content (or even less-than good quality content that is still of interest). I've just become comfortable with not making "being up to date" on movies/TV a top priority in my life. maybe I don't have time to watch GoT today because I'm watching 2 other shows. but it will be there in the future when the moment is right. I may never watch it all, but that's life I guess. for the present, there will always be other things to talk about when I'm out socializing.
Aug 11, 2017 1:32 AM
0 0
I'm about half a decade behind.

These days, if I can't get it on one of the streaming services that I use, I'm probably never going to end up seeing it.
Aug 11, 2017 1:34 AM
0 0
I half agree, film can be kept up with. But with the small screen its impossible with so many networks and the "soap opera" approach in most of them. I watch a handful of them and even then, how great they are, its exhausting in the effort needed to keep up. Many great shows fall to the roadside because there is only so much time in a day.

A shame really.
Aug 11, 2017 11:31 AM
0 0
I've got a laundry list of movies and TV shows to watch. There's just not enough time in the day.

I'm just glad I took my friend's recommendation to watch Stranger Things when it first came out.

Aug 11, 2017 12:44 PM
0 0
John DumbearI half agree, film can be kept up with. But with the small screen its impossible with so many networks and the "soap opera" approach in most of them. I watch a handful of them and even then, how great they are, its exhausting in the effort needed to keep up. Many great shows fall to the roadside because there is only so much time in a day.

A shame really.

I find myself pulling the plug on movies a lot quicker than in years past. Before I would be a willing to sit through a critically acclaimed movie that I wasn't feelin but now not so much.
Aug 11, 2017 2:06 PM
0 0
It is an overwhelming feeling that not only applies to films and TV shows, but also to books and music, or heck, travel. I read an interesting article a while ago from Linda Holmes where she basically says that we have to surrender to the fact that we won't be able to experience everything.

"That's your moment of understanding that you'll miss most of the music and the dancing and the art and the books and the films that there have ever been and ever will be, and right now, there's something being performed somewhere in the world that you're not seeing that you would love."

(read the whole article here)

Aug 11, 2017 2:33 PM
0 0
As a testament of how far behind I am, my brother left behind his DVD of Pacific Rim over two months ago and I still haven't seen it, mainly because I'm still trying to find time to watch the DVD set he also left over of Ghost in the Shell: Arise and the new movie (which he said I had to watch after the series).

Don't get me started on all the movies I'd like to see again, or have blind bought and are still sealed.
Aug 11, 2017 11:58 PM
0 0
I think that it's a problem that faces a lot of us.

I've just accepted that I'll never catch up with all the film and TV and am OK with this.
Aug 12, 2017 12:25 AM
0 0
I wish this forum were as populated as it once was.

I don't mind not keeping up with a lot of shows, but I no longer know which shows are worth investing my time in.
There were threads for many shows. For example Homeland. I've at least watched five seasons. But no one talks about
it. I don't know if its still good anymore. It probably is. If there was a forum for American Gods I might be watching that.
I try to recommend good shows as well like Sneaky Pete on Amazon. But they fall off the page fairly quick and its?
hard to prop them up without being annoying.

Better Call Saul is an example of a show that is supposed to be good but doesn't have a thread. If it doesn't have a?
thread I am probably not going to watch it.
Aug 12, 2017 3:10 AM
0 0
I watch as much television and movies, and listen to as much music, as is humanly possible between going to work and having some kind of social life. If I miss some things, whatever. What I watch, I watch. What I don't, I don't.

This sort of thing does remind me of a chapter in the book The Stone Diaries, where after a characters death, instead of listing all of the things she did, it details all of the things in her long life that she never had a chance to do. Most of them that seem so common place that you would assume everyone would eventually get around to, until you realize that there are probably untold numbers of pretty average things you will never get around to either. It can't be avoided.
Aug 12, 2017 3:49 AM
0 0
MKS
I just remind myself that I'm about 100 years behind the curve and given how much I watch, I'm more "up to date" than anyone I know personally.
Aug 12, 2017 4:06 AM
0 0
crumbsroomI watch as much television and movies, and listen to as much music, as is humanly possible between going to work and having some kind of social life. If I miss some things, whatever. What I watch, I watch. What I don't, I don't.

This sort of thing does remind me of a chapter in the book The Stone Diaries, where after a characters death, instead of listing all of the things she did, it details all of the things in her long life that she never had a chance to do. Most of them that seem so common place that you would assume everyone would eventually get around to, until you realize that there are probably untold numbers of pretty average things you will never get around to either. It can't be avoided.

Yeah, like reading The Stone Diaries... D'OH!

Some commonplace matters I can live without (camping, going to the beach, sampling Greek cuisine), so that encourages me towards repeat viewing. Of course, there's also the matter of everything costing money, a deterrent of a modern lifestyle if ever there was one.
Aug 12, 2017 4:27 AM
0 0
I feel this way more so in regards to television.

We have reached a point were we are constantly inundated with TV. It feels like every other day another show is debuting. Another weekly, hour long event that will span several seasons. When will the bubble burst

The frustrating part is that while many of these shows are decent and they feature a lot of positive qualities, they still don't always warrant the time investment.

I understand why so many people are drawn to the medium, it allows for more freedom and a more sophisticated brand of storytelling that is becoming absent among mainstream filmmaking. At the same time they also feel like a slave to the format. So many these shows feel gratuitously plotted to artificially extend their length. I often wonder how much pressure is on the writers to adhere to deliver as much content as possible.
Aug 12, 2017 5:43 PM
0 0
It's weird how everything in the media has become more easily accessible yet it seems like I consume less after the popularity of streaming. I remember going to the theater almost twice a weekend before the advent of higher bit rates and cheap streaming services. It feels like I watched more films back then (clearly not true), but maybe it comes down to the fact that the experiences were more memorable than they are now.
Aug 12, 2017 11:57 PM
0 0
yeah I've become that guy who tells people that he "doesn't watch TV" but only because I'm so so so so inundated with choice. so I make lots of dumb reasons so I can justify ignoring something.
Aug 13, 2017 12:05 AM
0 0