THAT song is from a movie?!

Original Poster
I've heard "Somebody's Baby" by Jackson Browne 1000 times on the radio. I had no idea it was from a movie. Then I finally watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High and damn, there was the song. Used in such a perfect way. Now I'll always think of that movie when that song comes on.

Same with "In The City" by Joe Walsh. Classic rock radio plays that song all the time, but I had no idea it had movie fame until I watched The Warriors. Perfect song for the ending credits.

On the flip side, I've never seen Say Anything but at least know about the famous scene where "In Your Eyes" plays.

Anyone else get pleasantly surprised to connect a famous song to a famous movie?
Aug 10, 2017 12:57 PM
0 0
Speaking of Fast Times... The Cars, "Moving in Stereo." Wow. There's a perfect blend of song and scene. And another fun surprise for me, since I've known the song since the 80s and was shocked when it came on during that one scene
Aug 10, 2017 1:01 PM
0 0
PenarinI've heard "Somebody's Baby" by Jackson Browne 1000 times on the radio. I had no idea it was from a movie. Then I finally watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High and damn, there was the song. Used in such a perfect way. Now I'll always think of that movie when that song comes on. ?

Same with "In The City" by Joe Walsh. Classic rock radio plays that song all the time, but I had no idea it had movie fame until I watched The Warriors. Perfect song for the ending credits. ?

On the flip side, I've never seen Say Anything but at least know about the famous scene where "In Your Eyes" plays.

Anyone else get pleasantly surprised to connect a famous song to a famous movie?

Have you ever watched the unofficial sequel?
Aug 10, 2017 1:07 PM
0 0
Aug 10, 2017 1:07 PM
0 0
John DumbearEnough said

Ouch. Would that be Reservoir Dogs?
Aug 10, 2017 1:16 PM
0 0
I'm setting my daughter up for this. She's six, and for some reason "Eye of the Tiger" is her favorite song. One day, in 2024, she'll be watching Rocky III and be like, damn, I know that song!
Aug 10, 2017 1:19 PM
0 0
As a teen I loved Foghat. Now whenever I hear "Slow Ride", it is immediately linked to "Dazed & Confused".

Not a bad thing.
Aug 10, 2017 1:25 PM
0 0
Sometimes this is a bad thing. I don't always like my songs irrevocably stuck to other things. I especially don't like it when classic pop tunes are mercilessly appropriated for TV ads. In film, the crime is when a great song is forever wed to a shitty movie, dragging the song down with it.
Aug 10, 2017 1:25 PM
0 0
Aug 10, 2017 3:00 PM
0 0
?Penarin

This one isn't "pleasant" exactly, but years ago I worked in an office that had Lite Rock playing all day, and as a result I heard "I Believe I Can Fly" twice a day for years. Wasn't till recently that I learned it was from Space Jam of all things.
Aug 10, 2017 4:22 PM
0 0
"Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head," probably. It was surprising to see that during the bicycle scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Speaking of, where are the raindrops in that scene? Talk about false advertising.
Aug 10, 2017 4:47 PM
0 0
PenarinSpeaking of Fast Times... The Cars, "Moving in Stereo." Wow. There's a perfect blend of song and scene. And another fun surprise for me, since I've known the song since the 80s and was shocked when it came on during that one scene

And, famously, the Kashmir moment.
Aug 10, 2017 4:55 PM
0 0
MaxRenn"Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head," probably. It was surprising to see that during the bicycle scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Speaking of, where are the raindrops in that scene? Talk about false advertising.

Good one! But did the song fit the movie for you? For me it was odd to hear an easy listening pop song show up in the middle of a western. I didn't mind it, it just felt a little strange. Though the song won an Academy Award so I guess people were happy with it!
Aug 10, 2017 5:44 PM
0 0
Wooley
PenarinSpeaking of Fast Times... The Cars, "Moving in Stereo." Wow. There's a perfect blend of song and scene. And another fun surprise for me, since I've known the song since the 80s and was shocked when it came on during that one scene

Amazing movie with an amazing soundtrack. Can't believe it took me until 2017 to finally see Fast Times. Now it is one of my all time favorite 80s movies.
Aug 10, 2017 5:47 PM
0 0
Wooley

: tells kid to play Led Zeppeln IV :

: kid plays "Kashmir" from Physical Graffiti:

I'M JUST SAYING!
Aug 10, 2017 5:49 PM
0 0
Penarin
MaxRenn"Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head," probably. It was surprising to see that during the bicycle scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Good one! But did the song fit the movie for you? ?For me it was odd to hear an easy listening pop song show up in the middle of a western. I didn't mind it, it just felt a little strange. Though the song won an Academy Award so I guess people were happy with it!

It doesn't really fit, but it probably would have seemed even more out of place if lesser-known stars were cavorting in that scene. With the distraction of Redford and Newman's combined good looks and star power, King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" could have been playing and I would have accepted it.
Aug 10, 2017 6:00 PM
0 0
Rated NCC-1701
Wooley

: tells kid to play Led Zeppeln IV :

: kid plays "Kashmir" from Physical Graffiti:

I'M JUST SAYING!

I'd thought that was intentional, showing how Ratner screws everything up.
Aug 10, 2017 7:54 PM
0 0
This doesn't really fit, but it was several years before I realized that Otis Day and the Knights wasn't a real band. Then they became one.
Aug 10, 2017 7:56 PM
0 0
"Modern Love" and Mauvais Sang
"13 Women" and White Nights
"Locomotion" and Inland Empire

probably a lot of others too
Aug 10, 2017 8:32 PM
0 0
"Summer in the City" by Loving' Spoonful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M7OSGJdp4g
"Amoreena" by Elton John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE34JvLqWK0&t=38s
Aug 10, 2017 9:06 PM
0 0