Films i saw this Month (from crappiest to greatest)

Rumpled 4 Skin27th

Mark of the Witch (1970)

In the modern setting, Professor Stuart is a brainy professor at a hip university. One of his cute and innocent students, Jill picks up an ancient red book at a book fair, and later brings it to the happening campus party at Professors Macs pad. After distracting the young partygoers from their beer swigging and idle chit-chat, the lights are turned down, and Jill reads an incantation from said book. Nothing appears to have happened, but Jill is now possessed by witch Margery, and she later proves it to Mac by killing his dog, and later combusting his pet bird in a cheap parlor trick which convinces her gushing boyfriend Alan of her sudden change for the worst. Now in the shapely body of a sweet coed, Margery convenes her coven by doing an exotic dance in the woods, and begins to knock off some of the students in a sacrificial manner. Mac and Alan are at her mercy, but they spend the hours trying to defeat her in what leads to a climatic showdown of good against evil.
6/10
Watch it free on youtube

I liked this one. I'd say 6/10 is a fair grade. Some of you may recall a discussion last year (I think) after I'd seen it. This one is remarkable for having been written by two women, which caused some fans to see this as a feminist work. That can be debated but regardless I thought it was interesting for a no-budget made-in-Texas horror movie. Good ending too.
Nov 10, 2017 2:25 PM
0 0
Quite an impressive month. I jotted down a healthy list of titles for future viewing.
Witchcraft and Chamber of Horrors are both fun. I've had a few people recommend Crowhaven Farm to me over the years. Why the 4/10 rating?

Also I just want to say that the cute witch girl from Mark of the Witch was robbed in the Hottie of the Month voting!
Nov 10, 2017 2:31 PM
0 0
Captain Terror

Also I just want to say that the cute witch girl from Mark of the Witch was robbed in the Hottie of the Month voting!

Well each to their own and that... but..... no

Nov 10, 2017 3:26 PM
0 0
Apex Predator
Kentucky based horrors cause me to perk up. But 1/10 pretty much kills the mood for me.

Yeah you guys should just stick to fried chicken
Nov 10, 2017 3:33 PM
0 0
Apex Predator
Rumpled 4 Skin81st

May have to move this up my list a bit.

Because of the abs? It's because of the abs, right?
Abs.
Rumpled 4 Skin6th

Brain Damage?(1988)

A normal, average guy who lives in New York City becomes dependent on an evil, disembodied brain. The brain feeds the guy a narcotic substance in exchange for his unwilling assistance in obtaining the brains of innocent victims for sustenance. This turns into a tour of circa-1980s underground NYC clubs, backlots, and other seedy locations.?
8/10
Trailer

Recommended by Takoma?

Glad you dug it. Despite the humor and the director's signature zaniness, I also find it to be an emotionally involving movie. This is probably the one film of his where I was genuinely invested in the characters as people. And I love that last shot.
Nov 11, 2017 12:48 AM
0 0
Yes, Tak, it was the abs.

I'm Dangerous Tonight is the one about the dress and Norman Bates is in it, right? Hear it's one of those entertaining bad ones (see Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?).

This month, I've seen:

A weird animated film
An actor in a film that stretches his talents
A classic horror film
A 1980s slasher
Two foreign horrors
A horror that hits close to home
A Halloween special
and an inspirational documentary

Have fun guessing. Will reveal the films on Sunday.
Nov 11, 2017 2:37 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin
Apex Predator
Kentucky based horrors cause me to perk up. But 1/10 pretty much kills the mood for me.

Yeah you guys should just stick to fried chicken

That's finger lickin' wrong.
Nov 11, 2017 2:38 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin15th

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Set in the late 40's the residents of Texarkana, Texas are left terrorized by a mysterious hooded killer who is stalking victims during the evening and leaving the local police at a loss.
8/10
Trailer

Wow, you are kind.
Nov 11, 2017 8:44 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin1st

The Babysitter (2017)

Cole loves his babysitter Bee. She's hot, funny, and popular. One night, in a moment of defiance, Cole secretly stays up his bedtime to discover she's actually a cold-blooded killer who's in league with the Devil. He now must spend his night evading Bee's band of killers who will stop at nothing to prevent Cole from spilling their dark secret. It's up to Cole to survive the night (and blow up a few people along the way).
9/10
Trailer is spoilerific, but trust me, just watch the movie... it's stupid fun

Yay.
Nov 11, 2017 8:54 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin15th

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Set in the late 40's the residents of Texarkana, Texas are left terrorized by a mysterious hooded killer who is stalking victims during the evening and leaving the local police at a loss.
8/10
Trailer

It's a good one. Just stay away from the remake.
Nov 11, 2017 8:56 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 SkinJune 2017

40th

Cabin Fever: Patient Zero (2014)

A group of friends think they're going to the perfect spot for a bachelor party; a secluded private island. They quickly learn the island is not as private as they thought. The island is home to a lab thought to be empty, but in actuality a deadly, extremely fast acting, flesh eating virus has just escaped containment. Now everyone on the island has to fight not only to survive the outbreak, but also to survive each other.
2/10
Trailer

Oh well... at least Sean Astin can say he was in The Goonies and LOTR.

Seem like a old school Hollywood story where a few friends go to a trip and ...., you know what happens next. I still like watching such films.
Nov 11, 2017 10:47 AM
0 0
I have watched 3 films so far this month, all are entirely different from each other.

1.The Man with The Iron Heart

Personal Rating: 6.8/10

It is a very simple and straightforward movie, it is all about the assassination of SS army's general. While watching, it makes you involved and goes smoothly. A war film that I have in my finest list.

2. Welcome To Monster High

Personal Rating: 6/10 (average film)

I do like to watch animation films sometimes. Monster High has made me a follower of it for a few months. There are around 13-14 films of the brand in which Welcome To Monster High is a must watch for a newbie as it displays the core story of the franchise.

Being a fan I have also written about it on my blog: http://www.filmyearth.com/monster-high-movies-complete-details/

3. The House on the haunted Hill

Personal Rating: 7.9/10

Yes, I have watched this cult classic for the first time this month. Considering the year of its released, I truly appreciate the script and the end twist of the film. The film was shown well, it couldn't have been better.
Nov 11, 2017 11:24 AM
0 0
Time's up and no guesses? Shame!

Apex's October Viewings (mainly in one genre). Would have watched more, but would also have liked to have settled my employment situation by now as well!

Bad Tier:

House on Sorority Row: Had all the makings of a decent slasher. An interesting backstory that lends insight into one of the characters, just enough personality in the girls so you won't be too confused, the prank is moderately effective. But outside of the rock band in this being better than the disco in Prom Night, the second half doesn't hold up to scrutiny as it feels like they had to write their way out of a corner. Badly. Shame of the Month.

OK Tier:

The David S. Pumpkins Halloween Special:?Can't blame Tom Hanks and the skeletons from giving it their all. But special fares best when it tries to parody the trappings inherit in holiday specials. It does less well when it takes them seriously. PS: Love the girl's costume idea!

Talon Falls: As far as road trips taken by dumb young people to dangerous spots in the horror genre go, it's not too bad. Three of the four are likable enough and film seems more interested in an escape plan than the tepid torture scene. But too bad they decided on the bookend that spoils about 90 percent of the film!

Maggie: Arnold (yes, that Arnold!) plays against type as the concerned loving father of a daughter who is infected with a zombie virus as they spend several weeks together. Film has some interesting ideas reflecting on the post-apocalyptic zombie world, but moves slow as molasses and the ending's a cheat. Also, I think it's set in Kentucky!

Cheatin': Bizarro animation from Plympton explores what happens when a misjudged photo sends a man down the path to infidelity and a woman on a desperate effort to win him back. Too much crying and you can guess where the ending will take place, but some interesting ideas/animation keep you tuned in.

Swim Team: Documentary on swim team consisting of youths who're on the autism spectrum does what you'd expect, no more and no less. Although it lacks some power, it does offer a glimpse on the home lives of all three and post-team updates as well. Go Hammerheads!

Good Tier:

Nosferatu (1922): Schreck is superb and the camera and lighting tricks are the best parts in the film which is a variation of the Dracula story (allowing for some suspense in the late frames). Some less than subtle dialogue choices keep it from going from good to great.

Raw: Vet student and vegan finds her life being impacted when she's forced to eating a rabbit kidney. Some nice chemistry between the lead girl and her older sister which reminded me of Kristen Stewart. But seriously, why someone wasn't at least threatened with suspension or expulsion heading into the finale is something I'll never get.

Under the Shadow: The war between Iran and Iraq adds additional depth to this tale of a woman whose husband leaves to fight for the Iranians and raises their daughter when weird things start to happen in the apartment building. The use of unsubtle sexism throughout is painful, but necessary. The kid's a bit annoying, but some good scares in the second half. Pick of the Month.
Nov 13, 2017 5:14 AM
0 0
Apex Predator

Good Tier:

Raw: Vet student and vegan finds her life being impacted when she's forced to eating a rabbit kidney. Some nice chemistry between the lead girl and her older sister which reminded me of Kristen Stewart. But seriously, why someone wasn't at least threatened with suspension or expulsion heading into the finale is something I'll never get.

Under the Shadow: The war between Iran and Iraq adds additional depth to this tale of a woman whose husband leaves to fight for the Iranians and raises their daughter when weird things start to happen in the apartment building. The use of unsubtle sexism throughout is painful, but necessary. The kid's a bit annoying, but some good scares in the second half. Pick of the Month.

Yay glad you enjoyed them
Sorry i didn't guess. but i'm hardly at home at the moment
Nov 13, 2017 12:49 PM
0 0
Apex PredatorTime's up and no guesses? Shame!

Apex's October Viewings (mainly in one genre). Would have watched more, but would also have liked to have settled my employment situation by now as well!

Bad Tier:

House on Sorority Row: Had all the makings of a decent slasher. An interesting backstory that lends insight into one of the characters, just enough personality in the girls so you won't be too confused, the prank is moderately effective. But outside of the rock band in this being better than the disco in Prom Night, the second half doesn't hold up to scrutiny as it feels like they had to write their way out of a corner. Badly. Shame of the Month.

Overwhelmingly disagree.
Nov 14, 2017 6:40 AM
0 0
Wooley

Bad Tier:

Overwhelmingly disagree.

Forgive him... he was born in a different era to us (if he's on about the 80's one that is?)
Nov 14, 2017 8:49 PM
0 0
?Apex PredatorTime's up and no guesses? Shame!

I'm your Letterboxd friend so I already knew the answers.
Nov 14, 2017 9:53 PM
0 0
bump
Nov 15, 2017 4:38 AM
0 0
Hello,

I am doing a an academic research on CDN platforms. I have created a quick suvey, and would greatly appreciate all your input.

LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CZ3PPGD

In advance, thank you so very much for the help!
Nov 16, 2017 3:50 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin
Wooley

Bad Tier:

Overwhelmingly disagree.

Forgive him... he was born in a different era to us (if he's on about the 80's one that is?)

Yeah, I knew better than to check out the reviled remake.
Nov 17, 2017 4:26 AM
0 0