Films i saw this Month (from crappiest to greatest)

1st

Alone in the Dark (1982)

During a city-wide blackout, four clinically insane murderers escape from a mental asylum and seek out the home of one of their psychiatrists. The psychiatrist is forced to resort to whatever means necessary to protect his family from the invaders in this suspenseful horror film.
9/10
Trailer

Pleasence as a sinsemilla smoking asylum boss
Landau as a psycho preacher
and
Palance just steals the show as... well just being palancey

And yes Janson... i've only just seen this!!!
Oct 3, 2017 9:27 PM
0 0
Hottie of the Month

Miss September
Loni Von Friedl - (Journey To the Far Side of the Sun)
Oct 3, 2017 9:38 PM
0 0
Rumpled 4 SkinAnd yes Janson... i've only just seen this!!!

I'm just happy to see that you've finally seen Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

I will be watching Gerald's Game with the soonness.
Oct 3, 2017 11:11 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Rumpled 4 SkinAnd yes Janson... i've only just seen this!!!

I'm just happy to see that you've finally seen Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

Touche sir
Oct 3, 2017 11:18 PM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin5th

100 Monsters (1968)

The story is a simple and familiar one about some ruthless property developers kicking a bunch of worthwhiles out of their homes. Even worse, they destroy a sacred shrine in the process. This storyline could be told in any country or era, but at least the characters are sufficiently interesting to keep viewers watching. And then we have the monsters, which are among the most bizarre ever filmed. I can't really describe them here, but there's stuff that'll have your jaw dropping, particularly the umbrella monster. A mix of practical and visual effects combine very well to create some fantastic scenes that certainly stick in the mind.
7/10
Trailer

That slow-motion monster parade at the end is my favorite thing ever. The movie is lots of fun anyway, but that last segment convinced me this was some lost classic. I also loved the old-lady-in-the-swamp segment. Good stuff.
Oct 4, 2017 1:07 AM
0 0
Ten films seen in September including:

6 documentaries:
1 about the week prior to a funeral
1 about the aftermath and trials of a vicious crime
1 about an interesting old lady
1 dealing with a scientist and global warming
1 about the romantic marriage between two old people
1 about a firm fighting against a state government being accused of a crime

1 bad animated film
1 foreign film that takes place in two very different locales
1 foreign film about a young woman dealing with marriage, tradition, and wanting to get away from her home
1 stinker of a horror film

Guess now because tomorrow I'll reveal the answers!
Oct 10, 2017 4:37 AM
0 0
Apex PredatorTen films seen in September including:

1 bad animated film
1 foreign film about a young woman dealing with marriage, tradition, and wanting to get away from her home

The Secret Life of Pets
Babel
A Seperation
Amityville The Awakening
Oct 10, 2017 9:43 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin
Apex PredatorTen films seen in September including:

1 bad animated film

The Secret Life of Pets
Babel
A Seperation
Amityville The Awakening

0-4. Fail GIF yourself, answers later today.
Oct 10, 2017 6:39 PM
0 0
Rumpled 4 SkinSeptember 2017

29th

Mystery on Monster Island (1981)

A young European boy living in San Francisco is reluctant to marry his long-term girlfriend because he wants to travel around the world first. His wealthy uncle agrees to send him on a global expedition aboard his ship, but en route the boy and his travelling companion are shipwrecked on a remote island, populated by countless prehistoric creatures as well as gold-hunting bandits.
2/10
Trailer

"My god.. what have i signed up for"

"Go ahead... you'll be doing me a favour"

Poor Terrence Stamp. Such a good actor to have had so not distinguished a career.
Oct 10, 2017 11:02 PM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin3rd

The Limehouse Golem (2016)

Victorian London is gripped with fear as a serial killer is on the loose and leaving cryptic messages written in the blood of his victims. With few leads and increasing public pressure, Scotland Yard assigns the case to Inspector Kildare, a seasoned detective who has a sneaking suspicion that he's being set up to fail. Faced with a long list of suspects, Kildare must rely on help from a witness to stop the murders and bring the maniac to justice.
8/10
Trailer

Oh good, i saw some really lukewarm reviews and gave up even though i wanted to see it initially.
Oct 10, 2017 11:11 PM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin1st

Alone in the Dark (1982)

During a city-wide blackout, four clinically insane murderers escape from a mental asylum and seek out the home of one of their psychiatrists. The psychiatrist is forced to resort to whatever means necessary to protect his family from the invaders in this suspenseful horror film.
9/10
Trailer

Pleasence as a sinsemilla smoking asylum boss
Landau as a psycho preacher
and
Palance just steals the show as... well just being palancey

And yes Janson... i've only just seen this!!!

Landau was my guy in this. "I want the hat."
Oct 10, 2017 11:14 PM
0 0
Hear ye, hear ye, it's time for the delayed September first time viewings for young Apex:

Bad Tier:

Norm of the North (2016): Saw this one so others don't have to. This bad film has it all: only one of the three "stars" bothers to show up (Ken Jeong), a plot that rips off The Forbidden Dance of all things, a title that rips off Nanook of the North, and jokes that are either too juvenile (we learn way more about digestive habits of lemmings than you wanted to know) or too mature (someone makes a joke about coming out thanks to a shiny outfit, those lemmings "die" in awful ways, scary sequence involving water) that nobody will like it. Stinker of the month.

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966): Got my horror viewing off with a real stinker about a very lost family who settles into a strange guy's place whose Master may or may not be dead! Slaps and bad editing are good for laughs, we have a candidate for most annoying kid, but cannot explain the ending.

OK Tier:

Ixcanul (2016): Guatemalan girl in upcoming arranged marriage with parents's supervisor pines for a trip to US. But problems begin when she agrees to have sex with grape picker in order to seal the deal on her voyage. I think Mustang hit this particular genre on the head better: its protagonist was more take charge while the one here appears to be more passive, letting things happen to her. I get that it might be due to old fashioned customs; but narratively, it's not as interesting as it could be. Title means volcano, by the way.

Antarctic: Ice and Sky (2017): From the director who brought you March of the Penguins comes this story of an interesting French scientist who's driven to Antarctica to find out whether global warming exists. But it spends so much time with the guy that they forget the point of what he found! At least the penguins and snow are pretty to look at.

Good Tier:

Diana, 7 Days (2017): Tasteful documentary that uses lotsa talking heads (including former Prime Minister Blair and her two sons) to uncover the week between her death in France and her state funeral. Interesting details, yes, but let's let the poor lady rest (a scene involving Harry, tennis lessons, and a papparazzi proves to be as scary as any real horror film!).

My Love, Don't Cross That River (2016): Although I only saw a 53 minute cut (POV, why?), what does remain is a touching love story of two old Koreans whose long marriage has entered into the winter season. We get the importance of family in Korean culture as well as some cute scenes early on that really resonate towards the end. But am I the only one weirded out about the age difference (she was only 14 or so when she married!)

Great Tier:

Amreeka (2009): Touching and occasionally funny story about a Palestinian mother and son who, tired of the constant harassment by Israeli troops in Jerusalem, decide to jump aboard towards America with relatives living in Illinois. But unfortunately, it's after 9/11 and the family deals with racists and fears towards Muslims (PS: they're actually Christian). Although it does lean towards sitcom at times, film does find a decent rhythm as she settles in at White Castle.

Iris (2015): Uplifting biography of Iris Apfel, former interior designer turned fashion icon (thanks to her flair with accessories) in her late 80s. We get to see her long-term relationship with her husband, her hawking her wares on QVC, teaching young people about fashion, and even getting a museum exhibit. Basically, the film that Just Shoot Me should have been.

Two Towns of Jasper (2003): The aftermath of a viciously heinous crime involving a truck and an African American drastically affects a small Texas town as several of its townies head to court for the horrible crime. Although I had issue in the beginning about having two different crews film the reactions of white and African Americans in Jasper, it allows them to let their hair down to show the seeds of division and unity. Was a bit iffy on the final "revelation" from one guy, however.

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (2017): True story of a small Chinese savings and loan which turns out to be the only group prosecuted by a zealous district attorney with stars in his eyes. But he's vastly underestimated the grit and determination of its former lawyer turned founder and his daughters who served as officers! George Bailey and It's a Wonderful Life are prominent here, but the small moments such as dinner and post-trial discussions are as well! Pick of the Month
Oct 11, 2017 2:56 AM
0 0
I give The Limehouse Golem a thumbs up. Great period piece setting and excellent acting all around. Especially the girl who played Lizzie. There were a few tidbits I couldn't catch due to the thick accents but overall an enjoyable and tense film.

PS - Also though Ixcanul was pretty good.

PSS - Hey Rumpled if you've never seen The Hidden with Kyle MacLachlan then you should do yourself a favor. It was one of the first ever movies I saw when the AMC chain opened near my house. Great stuff. There's a copy on rarbg.
Oct 11, 2017 3:39 AM
0 0
Rumpled 4 Skin
Amityville The Awakening

Definitely a stinker of a horror film. A D grade. Then again all the Amityville films (I've seen all of them up to The Awakening) have been shite but then this one in particular had no sense even being a horror film.
Oct 11, 2017 3:43 AM
0 0