It's my Birthday! What do you got for me?

Original Poster
Well, not yet, but my birthday is in August. Since January, I've been doing monthly film projects (#JanuaryofDebuts, #SummerWithHitchcock, #BlockbusterJuly), so I thought I would use August mainly to treat myself to rewatch some of my favorites.

But since I'm selfish too, I want gifts! So this is your chance to recommend any film you think I might like. If you have any "film gifts", just drop them here, and I will post reviews here as the month goes on. I will be sharing this project through four other social forums/media, so limit your "gifts" to three films per user. I will then select the ones I will watch.

Hope you're on board

EDIT: It might be helpful to add that I typically lean more towards thrillers, suspense, and so on. But I don't wanna limit myself at all, so feel free to recommend anything.

LIST:
Pusher (MaxRenn)
Tokyo Tribe (MaxRenn)
Why Don't You Play in Hell? (Nameless)
Love Exposure (Nameless)
Ministry of Fear (Captain Terror)
Le Corbeau (Captain Terror)
Torso (MKS)
The Confession (BobHarris)
State of Siege (BobHarris)
Lady Snowblood (BobHarris)
Prophecy (Death Proof)
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Stu)
Experiment in Terror (Rumpled 4 Skin)
Daughter of Darkness (Rumpled 4 Skin)
Il Demonio (Rumpled 4 Skin)
Anatomy of a Murder (Rock)
The Hitch-Hiker (Rock)
Key Largo (Rock)
Who Killed Captain Alex? (Apex Predator)
Laura (Apex Predator)
The Lady from Shanghai (Apex Predator)
Diabolique (SkyDog)
Elevator to the Gallows (SkyDog)
Rififi (SkyDog)
Johnny Got His Gun (Popcorn Reviews)
Clean, Shaven (Popcorn Reviews)
Cameraperson (Popcorn Reviews)
Jul 26, 2017 6:34 PM
0 0
Happy birthday, good sir. Check these out at your leisure:

The Pusher trilogy: Nicolas Winding Refn's directorial debut.
Tokyo Tribe: it's a Japanese rap musical. Think Hamilton, but with the Yakuza.
Jul 26, 2017 6:41 PM
0 0
MaxRennHappy birthday, good sir.?

Shhh! not yet, not yet?
MaxRennCheck these out at your leisure:

The?Pusher?trilogy: Nicolas Winding Refn's directorial debut.
Tokyo Tribe: it's a Japanese rap musical. Think?Hamilton, but with the Yakuza.

Hmm, I've been curious about Pusher, even though I'm not as enamoured with Drive as most people. Thanks!
Jul 26, 2017 6:51 PM
0 0
Thief12Hmm, I've been curious about Pusher, even though I'm not as enamoured with Drive as most people. Thanks!

Pusher is more... Thief than Drive. A lot grimier than both, if Drive is dance house than Pusher is METALLLLL
Jul 26, 2017 7:11 PM
0 0
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Uh, movies. Hmm. Recommendations... If not Tokyo Tribes, watch Why Don't You Play in Hell? which is like as close to a Japanese Quentin Tarantino movie you can find, just a giddy, insane love letter to film making. I prefer it to Tokyo Tribes but that one is great in it's own rights... watch Love Exposure
Jul 26, 2017 7:13 PM
0 0
Sorcerer Supreme Nameless
Thief12Hmm, I've been curious about Pusher, even though I'm not as enamoured with Drive as most people. Thanks!

Pusher is more... Thief than Drive. A lot grimier than both, if Drive is dance house than Pusher is METALLLLL

I like that.
Jul 26, 2017 7:14 PM
0 0
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessHAPPY BIRTHDAY

Uh, movies. Hmm. Recommendations... If not Tokyo Tribes, watch Why Don't You Play in Hell? which is like as close to a Japanese Quentin Tarantino movie you can find, just a giddy, insane love letter to film making. I prefer it to Tokyo Tribes but that one is great in it's own rights... watch Love Exposure

You, guys, like your Asian stuff. Thanks!
Jul 26, 2017 7:23 PM
0 0
I've been reading your Hitchcock reviews, so here's 3 non-Hitchcock movies that are Hitchcock-esque.

Ministry of Fear (Lang)
The Stranger (Welles)
Le Corbeau (Clouzot)
Jul 26, 2017 7:25 PM
0 0
Captain TerrorI've been reading your Hitchcock reviews, so here's 3 non-Hitchcock movies that are Hitchcock-esque.

Ministry of Fear (Lang)
The Stranger (Welles)
Le Corbeau (Clouzot)

I've been dying to get into Lang, so this is very welcome. And realizing now that Ray Milland, who I loved in Dial M for Murder, stars in it might just push this to the top.

I saw The Stranger a couple of years ago.
Jul 26, 2017 7:45 PM
0 0
Thief12
Captain TerrorI've been reading your Hitchcock reviews, so here's 3 non-Hitchcock movies that are Hitchcock-esque.

Ministry of Fear (Lang)
The Stranger (Welles)
Le Corbeau (Clouzot)

I've been dying to get into Lang, so this is very welcome. And realizing now that Ray Milland, who I loved in Dial M for Murder, stars in it might just push this to the top.

I saw The Stranger a couple of years ago.

Cool. It's not the best Lang film but it's a good introduction to Lang for Hitchcock fans.
Jul 26, 2017 8:51 PM
0 0
MKS
A fellow Leo.

Check out Torso. It's one of the best giallo I've seen and the third act is one of the best thriller sequences this side of Hitchcock.
Jul 26, 2017 9:39 PM
0 0
Jul 26, 2017 9:40 PM
0 0
MKSA fellow Leo.

Check out Torso. It's one of the best giallo I've seen and the third act is one of the best thriller sequences this side of Hitchcock.

Thanks! Looks creepily interesting
Jul 26, 2017 9:58 PM
0 0
Cocaine and hookers.

but in the mean time sir, may I suggest a double feature of The Confession and State of Siege by Costa-Gavras. Also, you could try The Complete Lady Snowblood, it's in the vein of Kill Bill but I enjoyed it more.
Jul 26, 2017 10:06 PM
0 0
And here... Prophecy (1979) starring Talia Shire, Robert Foxworth and Armand Assante. One of my favorite monster movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2weFjWC-Kpo
Jul 26, 2017 10:18 PM
0 0
Death Proof

Well, that goes without saying....
Jul 26, 2017 10:31 PM
0 0
BobHarrisCocaine and hookers.

but in the mean time sir, may I suggest a double feature of The Confession and State of Siege by Costa-Gavras. Also, you could try The Complete Lady Snowblood, it's in the vein of Kill Bill but I enjoyed it more.

Thanks! I don't think I've ever seen a Costa-Gavras film, but they look like films I might enjoy. I'm also a huge fan of Kill Bill, so Lady Snowblood looks like a sure shot as well.
Jul 26, 2017 10:36 PM
0 0
Death ProofAnd here... Prophecy (1979) starring Talia Shire, Robert Foxworth and Armand Assante. One of my favorite monster movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2weFjWC-Kpo

This one sounds vaguely familiar, but if I ever saw it, I don't remember anything, so thanks!
Jul 26, 2017 10:37 PM
0 0
Gonna drop a few recs, feel free to pick and choose from these, apologies if I went a little overboard. I think most of them fall loosely enough under the suspense category, or have a decent amount of suspense in them at least.

Anatomy of a Murder
Body Double
That Man from Rio
Phenomena
The Hitch-Hiker
The Hit
The Ipcress File
Miami Blues
Key Largo
Prime Cut
Jul 27, 2017 1:23 AM
0 0
RockGonna drop a few recs, feel free to pick and choose from these, apologies if I went a little overboard. I think most of them fall loosely enough under the suspense category, or have a decent amount of suspense in them at least.

Anatomy of a Murder
Body Double
That Man from Rio
Phenomena
The Hitch-Hiker
The Hit
The Ipcress File
Miami Blues
Key Largo
Prime Cut

Thanks! All of them sound interesting to varying degrees. I'll filter the list tomorrow.
Jul 27, 2017 1:51 AM
0 0