Dunkirk (OT Reaction Thread + Nolan Threadshitting)

Meow
Infinitus Corsair
MeowNolan's films can feel like he's solving a puzzle

He kind of is--often he hasn't finished yet.

It works when a character is behind this-- like the Joker-- but it can be too literal (like Inception, which I still think is a really good movie) or exhausting (like Interstellar, where everything clicks together in a ridiculous way for a movie about the mysteries of the future of humanity.) I'm excited to see this because this doesn't seem like a natural fit for a director I do really like.

He likes to make intricate narratives and making those movies mean solving the puzzles that you posit. I don't think he finished solving them in either Inception or Interstellar but he made the movie anyway, to their detriment. This is true even of The Dark Knight.?
Jul 18, 2017 1:38 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
Meow
Infinitus Corsair
MeowNolan's films can feel like he's solving a puzzle

He kind of is--often he hasn't finished yet.

It works when a character is behind this-- like the Joker-- but it can be too literal (like Inception, which I still think is a really good movie) or exhausting (like Interstellar, where everything clicks together in a ridiculous way for a movie about the mysteries of the future of humanity.) I'm excited to see this because this doesn't seem like a natural fit for a director I do really like.

He likes to make intricate narratives and making those movies mean solving the puzzles that you posit. I don't think he finished solving them in either Inception or Interstellar but he made the movie anyway, to their detriment. This is true even of The Dark Knight.?

You're right. Inception and Interstellar give you a crash course in the mechanics of their world and then kinda remember they have to tell a story about people working in these worlds.
Jul 18, 2017 1:49 AM
0 0
I didn't even realize till the end of the movie that the mineweeper was only bombed and sunk once and they were just filming that scene from three different perspectives. For the entire film I thought three different lookalike ships had tipped over and sunk in eerily similar way. I thought at the time, is any of these ships ever going to get out without being bombed?

Any one else take a while to realize this?
Jul 29, 2017 6:27 PM
0 0
This movie is remarkable. Moments of such beautiful grace punctuating moments of overwhelming panic and exhaustion. The structure of the film worked impeccably. Everything about it did. Brilliant.
Jul 31, 2017 2:34 AM
0 0
EpitoooozyI didn't even realize till the end of the movie that the mineweeper was only bombed and sunk once and they were just filming that scene from three different perspectives. For the entire film I thought three different lookalike ships had tipped over and sunk in eerily similar way. ?I thought at the time, is any of these ships ever going to get out without being bombed?

Yep, me too.
Aug 8, 2017 5:24 AM
0 0
Paquito
EpitoooozyI didn't even realize till the end of the movie that the mineweeper was only bombed and sunk once and they were just filming that scene from three different perspectives. For the entire film I thought three different lookalike ships had tipped over and sunk in eerily similar way. ?I thought at the time, is any of these ships ever going to get out without being bombed?

Yep, me too.

Of course you had this problem.
Aug 8, 2017 6:41 AM
0 0
Zuben
Paquito

Yep, me too.

Of course you had this problem.

lol
Aug 8, 2017 11:44 AM
0 0