Dunkirk (OT Reaction Thread + Nolan Threadshitting)

Original Poster
Easy linking to the tomatometer progress.
Jul 17, 2017 8:48 PM
0 0
I only saw the word masterpiece four times so it's probably terrible.
Jul 17, 2017 8:55 PM
0 0
I checked this morning and saw that everything else released this week had ratings and that Dunkirk didn't (usually crappy movies don't get released early for review). I thought that was an ominous sign.

Apparently, I need to evaluate my evaluation process.
Jul 17, 2017 9:44 PM
0 0
HurricaneKidI checked this morning and saw that everything else released this week had ratings and that Dunkirk didn't (usually crappy movies don't get released early for review). I thought that was an ominous sign.

Nah, that's pretty usual. Even for tentpole summer flicks, the review embargo is typically lifted at least a week in advance to help generate some opening weekend buzz. For whatever reason, they waited until Monday afternoon to lift the embargo. Seems like for larger releases, this will become case-by-case as opposed to seeing any trend. Smaller / regular releases, your observation still generally holds.
Jul 17, 2017 9:58 PM
0 0
neumdaddy
HurricaneKidI checked this morning and saw that everything else released this week had ratings and that Dunkirk didn't (usually crappy movies don't get released early for review). I thought that was an ominous sign.

Nah, that's pretty usual. Even for tentpole summer flicks, the review embargo is typically lifted at least a week in advance to help generate some opening weekend buzz. For whatever reason, they waited until Monday afternoon to lift the embargo. Seems like for larger releases, this will become case-by-case as opposed to seeing any trend. Smaller / regular releases, your observation still generally holds.

A lot of big movies also lift the social media embargo early, let that buzz build, and then lift the review embago late to keep interest high as the premiere approaches. This way you get two waves of articles: those collating twitter reactions from critics, and the pieces written by critics.
Jul 17, 2017 10:52 PM
0 0
neumdaddy

Seems a peculiar decision given how outstanding the reviews have been. You should want people to have time to make plans to see the best movie of the year.
Jul 17, 2017 10:53 PM
0 0
HurricaneKid
neumdaddy

Seems a peculiar decision given how outstanding the reviews have been. You should want people to have time to make plans to see the best movie of the year.

Most respected critics don't release their reviews until release anyway. Unless that's changed. The early reviews are usually junket shills.
Jul 17, 2017 10:57 PM
0 0
Bigwig
HurricaneKid
neumdaddy

Most respected critics don't release their reviews until release anyway. Unless that's changed. The early reviews are usually junket shills.

Hey now. Those shills get paid to chain smoke in their boxers while asking questions they came up with fifteen minutes before the call. It's a calling.
Jul 17, 2017 11:04 PM
0 0
HurricaneKid
neumdaddy

Yeah, who has the time to see a two hour movie over the month it spends in theatres. That kind of commitment requires weeks of planning.
Jul 17, 2017 11:16 PM
0 0
Might take a day off just to see it in a mostly empty theater.
Jul 17, 2017 11:20 PM
0 0
If you searched "Dunkirk review" last week you would have seen enough reactions and articles to get a sense of what critics thought, and you would have been reminded today when you saw a full review it was coming out soon. While a majority of a publicist's job is balancing whiskey, uppers, and their psychiatrist's advice, some of it involves creating these separate impressions.
Jul 17, 2017 11:21 PM
0 0
I'm seeing it in IMAX but probably not right away.
Jul 17, 2017 11:29 PM
0 0
I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is only 107 minutes long. Given the build up and Nolan's history, I was expecting this to flirt with 3 hours.

Edit: Apparently the RT page is wrong and its actually around 2 hours. Still pretty good.
Jul 18, 2017 12:01 AM
0 0
It seems stupid to rag on the one negative review, but man, it's hilariously terrible. Check out this opener:

Sometimes, spending time in Europe is not all it?s cracked up to be. Nowadays tourists may have to look over their shoulders to make sure that a bomb will not go off in a night club. Or a fanatic might have to urge to shoot up a discotheque, a restaurant, a major train depot. Yet times were quite a bit worse some decades ago when full-scale war would ultimately lead to 70 million deaths, mostly of civilians.
Jul 18, 2017 12:23 AM
0 0
Europe is a land of contrasts.
Jul 18, 2017 12:24 AM
0 0
I'm sure I would enjoy it, but it is a departure from Nolan's body of work. I'll watch in a couple of weeks on Prime or something.
Jul 18, 2017 12:26 AM
0 0
Nolan's films can feel like he's solving a puzzle and it can be really irritating (Interstellar) so I'm glad this movie is light on dialogue and not super long.
Jul 18, 2017 12:31 AM
0 0
MeowNolan's films can feel like he's solving a puzzle

He kind of is--often he hasn't finished yet.
Jul 18, 2017 1:14 AM
0 0
I watched Memento last week for the first time since I saw it in the theater.
Jul 18, 2017 1:17 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
MeowNolan's films can feel like he's solving a puzzle

He kind of is--often he hasn't finished yet.

It works when a character is behind this-- like the Joker-- but it can be too literal (like Inception, which I still think is a really good movie) or exhausting (like Interstellar, where everything clicks together in a ridiculous way for a movie about the mysteries of the future of humanity.) I'm excited to see this because this doesn't seem like a natural fit for a director I do really like.
Jul 18, 2017 1:35 AM
0 0