George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77

RockDawn of the Dead is the movie that made me realize that I was a horror movie fan. Night is such a landmark film that his legacy would have been secured even if he'd quit right after. Even Day, which I found off-putting at first, I've come around to after multiple viewings. Creepshow is a Halloween staple. Martin's not my cup of tea but it's still worthwhile. Land gave us pretty good Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo performances so I like it too. Two Evil Eyes, the movie he did with Dario Argento, is worth checking out too. And Survival might be a POS, but it's a POS made by someone who still tried late into their career.

RIP Mr. Romero.

Yep, Dawn is the best of the lot of 'em.

Jul 17, 2017 1:03 AM
0 0
Jul 17, 2017 1:23 AM
0 0
Death Proof

Day is one of the first movies that hooked me on horror.
I must have been about 6 years old. We stopped off at my aunt and uncle's house. They were watching Day on HBO or something.?
While my mom and aunt talked, my dad, uncle, and I watched a movie that was way more graphic than I probably should have been watching. I think the scene I walked in on was the part where the zombie rolls over on the slab and his guts fall out on the floor.
But I don't remember being scared. I remember being drawn in. The gore, the music, everything about the movie was awesome.
Now, I will say that Day is probably the weakest of his original trilogy, but it is by far his most visceral.
I'll also concur that Creepshow is awesome. THAT movie fucked me up as a kid, but I adore it so much. Every segment works for me. A rarity in anthology movies, but the bug one is pretty weak. Still, it's a Halloween classic.
Jul 17, 2017 2:08 AM
0 0
Fiver
Death Proof

Day is one of the first movies that hooked me on horror.
I must have been about 6 years old. We stopped off at my aunt and uncle's house. They were watching Day on HBO or something.?
While my mom and aunt talked, my dad, uncle, and I watched a movie that was way more graphic than I probably should have been watching. I think the scene I walked in on was the part where the zombie rolls over on the slab and his guts fall out on the floor.
But I don't remember being scared. I remember being drawn in. The gore, the music, everything about the movie was awesome.
Now, I will say that Day is probably the weakest of his original trilogy, but it is by far his most visceral.
I'll also concur that Creepshow is awesome. THAT movie fucked me up as a kid, but I adore it so much. Every segment works for me. A rarity in anthology movies, but the bug one is pretty weak. Still, it's a Halloween classic.

I know a couple of people with bug phobias and the cockroach freaks them out to no end.

I liked The Crate the most, personally.
Jul 17, 2017 5:45 AM
0 0
Night of the Living Dead is my favorite horror film. This is sad news. The guy was a horror legend, even if he had some misfires. Also Martin should be a Criterion. Creepshow is one of the best anthologies, ever. I love his first three Dead films to death, literally.
Jul 17, 2017 5:50 AM
0 0
When there is no more room in Heaven, Romero is still welcome there.

RIP to an independent pioneer.
Jul 17, 2017 9:23 AM
0 0
My roommate is a huge fan and has a tattoo of George Romero as a Zombie, I'm surprised I hadn't already heard about this from him. The man's a legend, shame he's gone. I still need to see Day of the Dead.
Jul 17, 2017 5:45 PM
0 0
Jul 17, 2017 7:12 PM
0 0
Death Proof
Have to admit, I thought he was older.

Creepshow is one of my favorite horror films.

Always wondered what a Romero-helmed DOOM movie could have been instead of the piece of crap we got.

Agreeing with the 1st and last lines. RIP to a legend and grandfather of a genre.
Jul 17, 2017 9:08 PM
0 0
Death Proof

lol I bet the owner of that hand behind her head was fired
Jul 17, 2017 9:26 PM
0 0
Night of the Living Dead is Top 3 horror for me, and Dawn is not far behind. RIP.
Jul 18, 2017 3:00 PM
0 0
Stu
Jul 18, 2017 3:55 PM
0 0
Classy way to remember the man:

Jul 18, 2017 4:11 PM
1 0