Quentin Tarantino's Helter Skelter: Charlie's Revenge

Original Poster
Actually, no one knows much about the nature of his announced next project, but wouldn't it be hilarious if The Family wasn't the next installment in his "revenge revisionism" series?

Speculation seems to be o Jennifer Lawrence playing Sharon Tate, although I'm personally hoping for a riskier casting as Squeaky Fromme. We'll see. Hopes to start shooting next year. Manson will no doubt soon become the hottest audition in town. Let's do this, Shia.
Jul 12, 2017 6:17 PM
0 0
Janson JinnistanActually, no one knows much about the nature of his announced next project, but wouldn't it be hilarious if The Family wasn't the next installment in his "revenge revisionism" series?

Makes sense. Sharon Tate, now in disguise, hunting down the Manson family. I'm guessing Brad Pitt as Charlie.

I also surmise that Samuel L. Jackson will make an appearance, being loud and calling somebody a motherfucker.

Jul 12, 2017 6:38 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan?wouldn't it be hilarious if The Family wasn't the next installment in his "revenge revisionism" series?

oh god please no
Jul 12, 2017 6:39 PM
0 0
ERotIC
Janson Jinnistan?wouldn't it be hilarious if The Family wasn't the next installment in his "revenge revisionism" series?

oh god please no

Thankfully my accidental double negative there makes it a moot point.
Jul 12, 2017 6:54 PM
0 0
Death ProofMakes sense. Sharon Tate, now in disguise, hunting down the Manson family.

Ehh. That might be a little too revisionist.

Death ProofI'm guessing Brad Pitt as Charlie.

Too tall. Otherwise, I could see QT snatching the role for himself.

No, Charlie was a basically a midget, 5'2. Maybe Jason Schwartzman rocking his best 70's Scorsese style.
Jul 12, 2017 6:59 PM
0 0
Oh god... what a project. This has my whole body a tingling
Jul 12, 2017 7:09 PM
0 0
I feel like the only way this can be done is approached like Inglourious Basterds with chapters and significant time jumps and, like... this would have to be a long and dense movie. Three hours minimum. There is a lot of ground to cover here and it's so embedded in pop culture, it's the perfect canvas for Tarantino's dissection of cinematic history.

Christ. This is like one of those projects to end all projects if handled correctly. This has "Decade's Best Movie" written all over it
Jul 12, 2017 7:13 PM
0 0
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessChrist. This is like one of those projects to end all projects if handled correctly. This has "Decade's Best Movie" written all over it

I agree. It's very exciting. I've always hoped that QT would make a "60s" film which could allow for him to homage on drive-in exploitation and its more legendary autuers, like Monte Hellman, Jack Hill, Vilmos Zsigmond, Robert Rush, etc. This could be like Death Proof only...not a lark.

(And I like Death Proof, but this promises to provide a lot more ambition and potential.)
Jul 12, 2017 7:19 PM
0 0
This actually makes the death of Michael Parks seem more tragic, because, goddamn, he'd have to be in this.
Jul 12, 2017 7:20 PM
0 0
I don't know much about the Manson Family murders but I hope this film educates me more, specifically on how and why Eli Roth machine gunned Charlie in the face.
Jul 12, 2017 7:23 PM
0 0
DeschainI don't know much about the Manson Family murders but I hope this film educates me more, specifically on how and why Eli Roth machine gunned Charlie in the face.

No no no. Charles Manson only has to nakedly suck the dick of Stokely Carmichael (played by a SLJ-coached JB Smooth) at the inception of the Blackbird Revolution #9.
Jul 12, 2017 7:32 PM
0 0
(Stokely Carmichael actually eerily resembles Jerrod Carmichael, although I can't find evidence of any relation.)
Jul 12, 2017 7:38 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessChrist. This is like one of those projects to end all projects if handled correctly. This has "Decade's Best Movie" written all over it

I agree. ?It's very exciting. ?I've always hoped that QT would make a "60s" film which could allow for him to homage on drive-in exploitation and its more legendary autuers, like Monte Hellman, Jack Hill, Vilmos Zsigmond, Robert Rush, etc. ?This could be like Death Proof only...not a lark.

(And I like Death Proof, but this promises to provide a lot more ambition and potential.)

It's very much in line with the line of history he's exploring and the jump from 50s western to 60s exploitation - and the racial elements of Helter Skelter makes for a perfect lead off from Django and Hateful 8...

Now, I have a huge question regarding just how cheeky Quentin can be here. Is this part of the Inglourious Basterds style of cinematic revisionism in history, like, Is he going to play it like history or is he going to inject his universe's history with the Manson narrative? The Manson case is so open for speculation and it takes delving into that Helter Skelter mindset. You can really go off the rails with that and create something completely off the wall, yet still have it spiritually connect with the horrors which occurred

It has every element of a Quentin story - the race war, the blonde, the music, the cinematic subtext, the history, the violence... but it's so raw. It's a history which is still currently alive. It's magnificently, horrifically timed
Jul 12, 2017 7:44 PM
0 0
This is going to be Tarantino's most depressingly downbeat film ever. Could be fun.

The problem I have with this is the same one I have with the Aquarius TV show: we just know too damn much about the various endgames. I'll still see it, but I do think the film could benefit from a little sensationalist revisionism.
Jul 12, 2017 7:45 PM
0 0
Thunder C. WordThe problem I have with this is the same one I have with the Aquarius TV show: we just know too damn much about the various endgames. But hey, I'll still see it.

Remember, this is the guy who felt compelled to machine gun Hitler in the face and burn down a Nazi theater in order to resolve WW2 (thus saving the Japanese and inspiring Kill Bill)
Jul 12, 2017 7:47 PM
0 0
Sorcerer Supreme Nameless
Thunder C. WordThe problem I have with this is the same one I have with the Aquarius TV show: we just know too damn much about the various endgames. But hey, I'll still see it.

Remember, this is the guy who felt compelled to machine gun Hitler in the face and burn down a Nazi theater in order to resolve WW2 (thus saving the Japanese and inspiring Kill Bill)

True, but that movie was entirely fictitious to begin with. It was so fictitious, in fact, that it didn't actually revise anything except for the murder of Hitler and a few others. Everything else was too fictitious to be considered revisionist.

I guess he could go the same route for this Manson movie, but I doubt he will, since there is little we don't know about Manson and his story. Revisionism would therefore be grossly out of place, yet the movie would be predictable as hell without it.
Jul 12, 2017 7:57 PM
0 0
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessThe Manson case is so open for speculation

Is it though?

I agree that there's a lot of material to mine in all of this, but I don't think that there's a lot of truly unanswered questions regarding Spawn Ranch or the facts of the case. It's been heavily documented.

And there's not that much opportunity to get into race issues that actually involve any black casting. There doesn't seem to be very many interactions with Manson's Family and the black community. Unless, maybe, he wants to go into Manson's alleged encounters with felow black inmates during his multiple incarcerations prior to his journey into messianic pretension.
Jul 12, 2017 8:02 PM
0 0
Death Proof

I also surmise that Samuel L. Jackson will make an appearance, being loud and calling somebody a motherfucker.

SLJ could play "Tex" Watson, in face paint. That should certainly appease Jasper
Jul 12, 2017 8:16 PM
0 0
John DumbearThat should certainly appease Jasper

I don't remember asking him a goddamn thing.
Jul 12, 2017 8:18 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
John DumbearThat should certainly appease Jasper

I don't remember asking him a goddamn thing.

See, it flows.
Jul 12, 2017 8:23 PM
0 0