Let's talk about music you lovely fucks

Original Poster
We have a thread about what movies we're watching and TV shows we're wasting our lives streaming, why not music?

My favorite album of the year so far is probably Arca's self titled album. It's beautiful, scary, kinda campy, and something that requires good headphones. The production is stellar, which is what you'd expect from someone as wonky and exacting as Arca. He sings in Spanish and google tells me most of the songs are about the horrors of sex. Nice.

No Shape by Perfume Genius (my avatar!) is also great and it's a solid album to put on repeat because every song sounds so different. There's the piano-choir-WTF weirdness of the opener, a soft acoustic guitar number, some indie pop and a totally awesome trip hop song. It all fits together because Perfume Genius has a pretty unique singing voice and a knack for beautiful lyrics.

Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples is really great too but I'm still spinning it. I love Vince Staples, I love the futuristic house beats, and there are some great guest artists throughout.

Vic reminded me Slowdive released something and I've listened through that today and it's solid. I'll spend more time with it.

What are you listening to?
Jun 28, 2017 9:17 PM
0 0
You ever heard of Brockhampton? They're like this hip-hop boy band formed on the internet. They released their first album Saturation recently and I think it's pretty good. They might be up your alley cuz some of the lyrics are pretty gay. Like literally gay. Like the guy started rapping about sucking dicks and I was like whoa don't usually hear that in a rap record. But whatevs good music is good music.

Jun 28, 2017 10:13 PM
0 0
DetrimentalYou ever heard of Brockhampton? They're like this hip-hop boy band formed on the internet. They released their first album Saturation recently and I think it's pretty good. They might be up your alley cuz some of the lyrics are pretty gay. Like literally gay. Like the guy started rapping about sucking dicks and I was like whoa don't usually hear that in a rap record. But whatevs good music is good music.

I'm listening to them on soundcloud, pretty good. I'm gonna grab Saturation. Google tells me they started on KTT, which kinda explains the gay part of the collective-- there's a disproportionate amount of gay dudes on that site.
Jun 28, 2017 10:23 PM
0 0
Meow
DetrimentalYou ever heard of Brockhampton? They're like this hip-hop boy band formed on the internet. They released their first album Saturation recently and I think it's pretty good. They might be up your alley cuz some of the lyrics are pretty gay. Like literally gay. Like the guy started rapping about sucking dicks and I was like whoa don't usually hear that in a rap record. But whatevs good music is good music.

I'm listening to them on soundcloud, pretty good. I'm gonna grab Saturation. Google tells me they started on KTT, which kinda explains the gay part of the collective-- there's a disproportionate amount of gay dudes on that site.

Awwww, they're so sunny and happy.
Jun 28, 2017 10:25 PM
0 0
Fleet Foxes new album Crack-Up came out this year and it's pretty amazing. It might not be for most fans of indie folk because of how it eschews pop sensibilities for an intricate work that works better as a whole rather than as individual songs. It's a big depature from their previous albums and is more daring and sophisticated that anything they ever came up with.
Jun 28, 2017 11:20 PM
0 0
Also i've never heard Donuts in full before now but it still feels familiar because of how ubiquitous the beats have become.
Jun 28, 2017 11:22 PM
0 0
DetrimentalFleet Foxes new album Crack-Up came out this year and it's pretty amazing. It might not be for most fans of indie folk because of how it eschews pop sensibilities for an intricate work that works better as a whole rather than as individual songs. It's a big depature from their previous albums and is more daring and sophisticated that anything they ever came up with.

This is on my to-listen list. Glad you're recommending it.
Jun 28, 2017 11:33 PM
0 0
I love the new Perfume Genius. Also:

Kevin Morby - City Music
Vita and the Woolf - Tunnels
Future Islands - The Far Fields
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
Jun 29, 2017 1:14 AM
0 0
whathaveicreatedI love the new Perfume Genius. Also:

Kevin Morby - City Music

Vita and the Woolf is another one I've got on my list. It seems like indie rock is really strong this year. 2000s nostalgia has hit us early.
Jun 29, 2017 1:21 AM
0 0
I'd never heard of Vita and the Woolf until I saw them open for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. They were great. She can siiiiiiiiiiing.
Jun 29, 2017 1:25 AM
0 0
whathaveicreatedI love the new Perfume Genius. Also:

Kevin Morby - City Music

WHY DOES CISHET WHIC GET AWAY WITH TWO IDENTICAL POSTS. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.
Jun 29, 2017 1:40 AM
0 0
Whic? more like White? Amirite?

...I'll leave now.
Jun 29, 2017 1:57 AM
0 0
I think that's one of those Dyne like posts that Zuben rejects.
Jun 29, 2017 1:58 AM
0 0
Oh Meow also check out -

Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

The Byrne album is probably my favorite of the year so far.
Jun 29, 2017 2:00 AM
0 0
I'm listening to the Julie Byrne album now, Det. YOU'RE white.
Jun 29, 2017 3:21 AM
0 0
Well what did you think whiteboi?
Jun 29, 2017 3:32 AM
0 0
Only made it through a couple songs. I'll have to give it a real listen later.
Jun 29, 2017 3:59 AM
0 0
DetrimentalOh Meow also check out -

Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

The Byrne album is probably my favorite of the year so far.

Julie Byrne and Jay Som are also on my indie-records-people-love-I-should-listen-to list.
Jun 29, 2017 2:33 PM
0 0
Guys, recommend me some music from the last 12 months based on what I like.
Jun 30, 2017 2:11 AM
0 0
Infinitus CorsairGuys, recommend me some music from the last 12 months based on what I like.

Have you heard Damn yet?
Jun 30, 2017 2:15 AM
0 0