Baby Driver

MKS
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessOi, that movie was a triiiiip. I feel like I could essay out on this and one of the big essay points I want to say is wooooow that was a huge fuck you to Disney. That was his Ant Man script rendered into a sharp stick. Nice to see him standing up to the man like that

Weird movie, vanilla yet exploding with flavor, just the way I like it. See, I'm a white boy and I'm, yeah, I'm kinda like that. I've got rhythm, I've got soul, and I fucking live it and no one is taking that away from me. Every single moment of my life is a, yeah, THING. Act. Movement. Practice. Like... don't just do, dance that shit out. That scene where he remixes the retardation conversation, that's the story of my life (quite literally). It's exactly the joke, content, response I make out of reality, my exact response to people not being able to look past my dull grin where I feel like nah, I don't really have much to say beyond what's rattling around in my head so just watch me move. I feel ya, Baby, and it made a very relieving effort out of saying "y'know, I have my reasons" as opposed to "ARE YOU A FUCKED UP BRAIN DAMAGED AUTISTIC PERSON WHO WE ALL PREY ON BECAUSE WE ARE PATHETIC AND INSECURE BECAUSE WE CAN'T DO COOL SHIT LIKE PRODUCE MUSIC ?" (it provided nice commentary on that in the beginning, I thought that was very much a response to Driver's character in Drive).

Baby ain't the baby, he drives the babies, and the characterization was just mmmm. The whole getting trapped in the bubble of his ultra-sensory fantasy and having that sobering reality pierce in, fuck, this movie is goooood. In all of it's simplicity there is so much going on underneath that hood and it's just a marvel watching the mechanics of that man's scripts whir. It was both a fine coming of age tale while also having an idea about itself that there isn't really an age to come to, Baby's already right there. It's everyone else who has to catch up, so fucking go and do something really cool already! Go practice life and be a cool person! Fuck the haters! Fuck you, Buddy! That's Edgar Wright to Disney, right there

Going back to the characterization of baby and how it makes an effort to avoid the MENTAL RETARDATION angle, like, all that basic stuff with the mom and tinnitus and whatnot is just highlighting how these mental health issues often are simplified in labels and avoided when it comes to a film and character development, despite apparently attempting to make an effort at highlighting these mental conditions. How many of you assumed that Driver was autistic despite there being nothing regarding that in his arc? That was quite the conversation piece here, yeesh (what exactly were your thoughts there, MKS? I remember you being heavy on the Driver's autistic side of things). Yeah, while you all go talk about that I'm going to go and work on my moves

That was Gorb. Go summersault into another curb and finish the job.
Jul 13, 2017 6:27 PM
0 0
MKSThat was Gorb. Go summersault into another curb and finish the job.

Oh wow, so unprovoked with the suicide comments. It's like you didn't deserve them at all.

Seriously, go stick a shotgun up your butthole, tie a string to the trigger, fasten the other end around a door knob, and slam the fucking door

Jul 13, 2017 6:39 PM
0 0
MKS
Sorcerer Supreme Nameless
MKSThat was Gorb. Go summersault into another curb and finish the job.

Oh wow, so unprovoked with the suicide comments. It's like you didn't deserve them at all.

Seriously, go stick a shotgun up your butthole, tie a string to the trigger, fasten the other end around a door knob, and slam the fucking door

You first.
Jul 13, 2017 6:41 PM
0 0
*dances out of the frame with a smirk*
Jul 13, 2017 6:42 PM
0 0
MKS
Sorcerer Supreme Nameless*dances out of the frame with a smirk*

*Trips and hits curb*
Let's see how stupid you can get!
Jul 13, 2017 6:44 PM
0 0
MKS

*Trips and hits curb*

Let me make this perfectly clear
I am Baby
You are Buddy
Fuck you, Buddy
Jul 13, 2017 6:47 PM
0 0
MKS
Sorcerer Supreme Nameless
MKS

*Trips and hits curb*

Let me make this perfectly clear
I am Baby
You are Buddy
Fuck you, Buddy

Calling me Jon Hamm married to Eiza Gonzalez is your best insult? You bore me today Nameless. Are you feeling okay?
Jul 13, 2017 6:51 PM
0 0
Right, but figuratively, he's Baby, so he doesn't die and he gets the girl.

In reality, we are much more like Statler and Waldorf in our disputes.

Jul 13, 2017 6:59 PM
0 0
MKS
YAWNRight, but figuratively, he's Baby, so he doesn't die and he gets the girl.

In reality, we are much more like Statler and Waldorf in our disputes.

We all die and I had the girl. It's not a bad way to go.
Jul 13, 2017 7:02 PM
0 0
MKS
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessOi, that movie was a triiiiip. I feel like I could essay out on this and one of the big essay points I want to say is wooooow that was a huge fuck you to Disney. That was his Ant Man script rendered into a sharp stick. Nice to see him standing up to the man like that

Weird movie, vanilla yet exploding with flavor, just the way I like it. See, I'm a white boy and I'm, yeah, I'm kinda like that. I've got rhythm, I've got soul, and I fucking live it and no one is taking that away from me. Every single moment of my life is a, yeah, THING. Act. Movement. Practice. Like... don't just do, dance that shit out. That scene where he remixes the retardation conversation, that's the story of my life (quite literally). It's exactly the joke, content, response I make out of reality, my exact response to people not being able to look past my dull grin where I feel like nah, I don't really have much to say beyond what's rattling around in my head so just watch me move. I feel ya, Baby, and it made a very relieving effort out of saying "y'know, I have my reasons" as opposed to "ARE YOU A FUCKED UP BRAIN DAMAGED AUTISTIC PERSON WHO WE ALL PREY ON BECAUSE WE ARE PATHETIC AND INSECURE BECAUSE WE CAN'T DO COOL SHIT LIKE PRODUCE MUSIC ?" (it provided nice commentary on that in the beginning, I thought that was very much a response to Driver's character in Drive).

Baby ain't the baby, he drives the babies, and the characterization was just mmmm. The whole getting trapped in the bubble of his ultra-sensory fantasy and having that sobering reality pierce in, fuck, this movie is goooood. In all of it's simplicity there is so much going on underneath that hood and it's just a marvel watching the mechanics of that man's scripts whir. It was both a fine coming of age tale while also having an idea about itself that there isn't really an age to come to, Baby's already right there. It's everyone else who has to catch up, so fucking go and do something really cool already! Go practice life and be a cool person! Fuck the haters! Fuck you, Buddy! That's Edgar Wright to Disney, right there

Going back to the characterization of baby and how it makes an effort to avoid the MENTAL RETARDATION angle, like, all that basic stuff with the mom and tinnitus and whatnot is just highlighting how these mental health issues often are simplified in labels and avoided when it comes to a film and character development, despite apparently attempting to make an effort at highlighting these mental conditions. How many of you assumed that Driver was autistic despite there being nothing regarding that in his arc? That was quite the conversation piece here, yeesh (what exactly were your thoughts there, MKS? I remember you being heavy on the Driver's autistic side of things). Yeah, while you all go talk about that I'm going to go and work on my moves

MKS is Gorb.
Jul 13, 2017 7:46 PM
0 0
MKS
Deschain
MKS

MKS is Gorb.

Wait a tic... Ain't you Gorb?
Jul 13, 2017 9:04 PM
0 0
No I am Gorb.
Jul 13, 2017 10:14 PM
0 0
I thought it was fantastic. My favorite film of 2017 and possibly my favorite from Wright (either this or Shaun of the Dead). ?The World's End is the only movie of his I don't care for, but I probably owe it a rewatch.

Can't stop listening to the soundtrack. Such a great use of music throughout.
Jul 14, 2017 3:11 AM
0 0
It might have been straightforward and lacking the density that Cornetto Trilogy offered, but Baby Driver was a blast. I'm so glad I caught this in theaters. Call me a fanboy, but Edgar Wright doesn't know how to make a mistake. I can't add much more than what's already been covered in this thread, but what I appreciated most was how it subverted my expectations as to the hierarchy of the villains. I loved that Hamm, who actually seemed to like and appreciate Baby, ended up being the "big bad", who I assumed would be Kevin Spacey. I also enjoyed the reveal that despite using him for his own gains, Spacey did harbor paternal feelings for the kid.

I have quite a hard on for musically driven action sequences, so actually revolving the plot around it was just gold. My favorite part of the whole movie is when Baby keeps the robbers from leaving the car until the beat drops.

And I don't see how anyone could dislike The World's End, or even feel apathetic towards it. That shit is brilliant.
Jul 17, 2017 7:38 PM
0 0
Spencie ReturnsI loved that Hamm, who actually seemed to like and appreciate Baby, ended up being the "big bad", who I assumed would be Kevin Spacey.

He did like and appreciate Baby. He was also a vicious killer. After being properly motivated by loss, his energy was directed at Baby.
Jul 17, 2017 7:51 PM
0 0
This film is pure cinematic joy filled with classic visual references. Slight spoilers ahead: My favorite scene is when Baby bids adieu to his life long deaf/mute friend, which transitions into one of the best Barry White inspired moments ever used in film. Before the internet's ham-fisted memeship of Rick Astley, Barry's soul existed on another plane of amazing. This film shows you why. Never gonna give this film up.
Jul 17, 2017 8:09 PM
0 0
YAWN
Spencie ReturnsI loved that Hamm, who actually seemed to like and appreciate Baby, ended up being the "big bad", who I assumed would be Kevin Spacey.

He did like and appreciate Baby. He was also a vicious killer. After being properly motivated by loss, his energy was directed at Baby.

Which is what made their final standoff so much more powerful than it would of been had Jamie Fox been the final threat.

I also really enjoyed Fox's pre-heist method of building a narrative that paints himself as a victim taking back what's his. That was a neat little touch.

Oh, and the Michael Myers bit was hilarious.
Jul 17, 2017 8:24 PM
0 0
Spencie Returns
YAWN

Which is what made their final standoff so much more powerful than it would of been had Jamie Fox been the final threat.

I also really enjoyed Fox's pre-heist method of building a narrative that paints himself as a victim taking back what's his. That was a neat little touch.

Oh, and the Michael Myers bit was hilarious.

Yeah, there was lot's of good stuff there. It's not for everyone. I was somewhat ambivalent about the style of it. All in all, however, I have recognize that it does a great job of being exactly what it wants to be. Overall, the film won me over despite it being a little too cutesy at points. Not many films have that sort of strength.
Jul 17, 2017 8:35 PM
0 0