The Official Game Of Thrones Season 7 Thread. The Great War Is Here.

At this point I'm genuinely curious where Arya's plot is headed. It would seem way to pat and anti-climatic for her to dispatch Cersei, thereby preemptively ending the whole war. It would be interesting if we somehow see her run into the Brotherhood without Banners,whom she placed on her kill list, and have to confront that they probably don't deserve to be killed. If she ends up abandoning her quest then we've flushed several seasons down the drain. Gets captured in Kings Landing? Meets up with someone working for Dany?

Anyway, Dany landing was satisfying. I mean, I wouldn't have expected the 12 Baratheon retainers left to defend the place, but it seemed a little odd that there was literally nobody there at all. I like Cersei without the pretension of caring for her kids. She is basically Walt from Breaking Bad, always telling everyone she is doing this for her kids but always really doing it to protect for herself. When she said that Tommen betrayed her, it was basically a perfect example of this.

Over all, not much happened. So let's hope next week some shit goes down.?
Jul 17, 2017 6:57 PM
0 0
DyneThat opening was weak. I always wondered how the faceless men pulled off voice modulation - did they just assume the identities of like age and gender people who were relatively unknown, so they could make up any voice they wanted? The answer is no: they are capable of perfectly mimicking a well known public figure so well that even a room full of their family members couldn't spot the fake. That was kind of bullshit.

This is profoundly stupid and also a very typical Dyne post. It has been clear, literally for years, that the Faceless Men are magic. As in, they employ magic as part of their mimicry, because what they do is not actually possible and it never has been from the first time the ability was portrayed. A very good analogy to your complaint here would be bitching about the ability of dragons to breath fire and how this is an unlikely thing to develop naturally from evolution. Actually, it would be more like just realizing that the dragons could breath fire after watching them do it for seasons and only then acting surprised and incredulous. Kind of bullshit? Kind of bullshit is not paying attention and then inflicting your stupid observations on the rest of the world on a public forum. Despite this being typical of your general posting, I still find myself taken aback by just how completely fucking half-baked your comprehension is. Honestly Dyne, shut the fuck up you utter shit bag.
Jul 17, 2017 10:58 PM
0 0
Meow
wirthlingI'm a bit worried about what sort of gift Euron is going to bring to Cersei as I of course don't want it to be one of our favorites, but hey, what if it turned out to be the sand snakes? How great would that be? And Cersei would like it because it gives her revenge for Myrcella. Please, show, do this.

He's gonna get her a Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbvVnyHcm0
Jul 17, 2017 11:00 PM
0 0
I am getting the impression Zuben disagrees with Dyne.
Jul 17, 2017 11:17 PM
0 0
Agreed, Dyne's posting in this thread has been stupid and disgusting. Booze fangirling Ed Sheeran is also unfortunate.
Jul 17, 2017 11:30 PM
0 0
Zuben
DyneThat opening was weak. I always wondered how the faceless men pulled off voice modulation - did they just assume the identities of like age and gender people who were relatively unknown, so they could make up any voice they wanted? The answer is no: they are capable of perfectly mimicking a well known public figure so well that even a room full of their family members couldn't spot the fake. That was kind of bullshit.

This is profoundly stupid and also a very typical Dyne post. It has been clear, literally for years, that the Faceless Men are magic. As in, they employ magic as part of their mimicry, because what they do is not actually possible and it never has been from the first time the ability was portrayed. A very good analogy to your complaint here would be bitching about the ability of dragons to breath fire and how this is an unlikely thing to develop naturally from evolution. Actually, it would be more like just realizing that the dragons could breath fire after watching them do it for seasons and only then acting surprised and incredulous. Kind of bullshit? Kind of bullshit is not paying attention and then inflicting your stupid observations on the rest of the world on a public forum. Despite this being typical of your general posting, I still find myself taken aback by just how completely fucking half-baked your comprehension is. Honestly Dyne, shut the fuck up you utter shit bag.

A fantasy/sci-fi series is still better off trying to establish some ground rules for how their magic works, as opposed to just waving away all objections with 'Hey, it's magic!'. For example, we've clearly established dragons can breath fire, but it would still be perfectly fair to bitch if the next episode they can suddenly breath a stream of acid or cold or whatever.

Nevertheless, Dyne is still probably off-base in this objection because I think there's precedent for a Faceless Man being shown to have a different voice alongside the different face. Back in Season 5, Arya meets an old black guy who distinctly does not have Jaqen H'gar's voice and yet later turns out to be Jaqen H'gar with a different face. True, mimicking another man's voice when you're also a man is distinctly easier than mimicking an old man when you're a young girl, but a Faceless Man speaking with a different voice is still enough to lay a foundation for the magic working that way.
Jul 17, 2017 11:52 PM
0 0
Ivan the Terrible
Zuben

A fantasy/sci-fi series is still better off trying to establish some ground rules for how their magic works, as opposed to just waving away all objections with 'Hey, it's magic!'. For example, we've clearly established dragons can breath fire, but it would still be perfectly fair to bitch if the next episode they can suddenly breath a stream of acid or cold or whatever.

Nevertheless, Dyne is still probably off-base in this objection because I think there's precedent for a Faceless Man being shown to have a different voice alongside the different face. Back in Season 5, Arya meets an old black guy who distinctly does not have Jaqen H'gar's voice and yet later turns out to be Jaqen H'gar with a different face. True, mimicking another man's voice when you're also a man is probably distinctly easier than mimicking an old man when you're a young girl, but it's enough to lay a foundation for the magic working that way.

That would be my take, for the most part. There are still established rules. If everything was just magic, then why would the faceless men even need to steal faces by cutting them off? Why couldn't they just use a glamor charm or some other nonsense? There were still limitations, and I always assumed that there was multiple levels of trickery and deception utilised by the faceless men, all of which may have been in service of some level of sorcery, but not all explained by it. Why poison or stab people when you could magic them to death?

In the case of Jaqen imitating an old man's voice, what if he had practiced really hard and had like four old dude voices he used interchangeably; none of his victims ever lived long enough to see more than one, and Jaqen would likely go out of his way to obfuscate all this anyway. Was that old man voice the actual voice of the original old man?

I guess the real implication to me is Arya would basically be unstoppable. She could assume the identity of Cersei and command her forces to do shit that would inevitably lead to the Lannister's losing the war.
Jul 18, 2017 12:16 AM
0 0
briggmAgreed, Dyne's posting in this thread has been stupid and disgusting. Booze fangirling Ed Sheeran is also unfortunate.

Disgusting? Frankly I am upset that no one commented on the post where I suggested Euron refer to his penis as a disfigured midget.
Jul 18, 2017 12:19 AM
0 0
Dyne
Ivan the Terrible
Zuben

Nevertheless, Dyne is still probably off-base in this objection because I think there's precedent for a Faceless Man being shown to have a different voice alongside the different face. Back in Season 5, Arya meets an old black guy who distinctly does not have Jaqen H'gar's voice and yet later turns out to be Jaqen H'gar with a different face. True, mimicking another man's voice when you're also a man is probably distinctly easier than mimicking an old man when you're a young girl, but it's enough to lay a foundation for the magic working that way.

That would be my take, for the most part. There are still established rules. If everything was just magic, then why would the faceless men even need to steal faces by cutting them off? Why couldn't they just use a glamor charm or some other nonsense? There were still limitations, and I always assumed that there was multiple levels of trickery and deception utilised by the faceless men, all of which may have been in service of some level of sorcery, but not all explained by it. Why poison or stab people when you could magic them to death?

In the case of Jaqen imitating an old man's voice, what if he had practiced really hard and had like four old dude voices he used interchangeably; none of his victims ever lived long enough to see more than one, and Jaqen would likely go out of his way to obfuscate all this anyway. Was that old man voice the actual voice of the original old man?

I guess the real implication to me is Arya would basically be unstoppable. She could assume the identity of Cersei and command her forces to do shit that would inevitably lead to the Lannister's losing the war.

Bending over backward to try and suggest that you even remembered that this power had already been demonstrated but still felt that you had the grounds to act like that never happened because "what if this is how it was actually working!" makes you look even stupider than you already do, which is actually impressive, given the degree we're talking about here.
Jul 18, 2017 12:28 AM
0 0
Zuben
Meow
wirthlingI'm a bit worried about what sort of gift Euron is going to bring to Cersei as I of course don't want it to be one of our favorites, but hey, what if it turned out to be the sand snakes? How great would that be? And Cersei would like it because it gives her revenge for Myrcella. Please, show, do this.

He's gonna get her a Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbvVnyHcm0

This is not outside the realm of possibility.
Jul 18, 2017 12:34 AM
0 0
Ivan the Terrible
Zuben

Nevertheless, Dyne is still probably off-base in this objection because I think there's precedent for a Faceless Man being shown to have a different voice alongside the different face. Back in Season 5, Arya meets an old black guy who distinctly does not have Jaqen H'gar's voice and yet later turns out to be Jaqen H'gar with a different face. True, mimicking another man's voice when you're also a man is distinctly easier than mimicking an old man when you're a young girl, but a Faceless Man speaking with a different voice is still enough to lay a foundation for the magic working that way.

They aren't demonstrating a radically different skill set from their previously established super power (mimicry) though, they are just upping the degree and not even all that much, given what we've seen them do. Even without them explicitly showing that particular power before, this would not stick out as "where did THAT come from?" territory. For the record, I don't like the Faceless Men, more or less because I think they lean way too heavily on the lack of clarity you're mentioning, but that's actually a side issue. Although their powers are nebulous enough to be off-putting, there is nothing that makes this extension of them into also mimicking a voice seem particularly out of place or surprising.
Jul 18, 2017 12:36 AM
0 0
Zuben
Dyne
Ivan the Terrible
Zuben

Bending over backward to try and suggest that you even remembered that this power had already been demonstrated but still felt that you had the grounds to act like that never happened because "what if this is how it was actually working!" makes you look even stupider than you already do, which is actually impressive, given the degree we're talking about here.

The very first thing I said in this thread was on the topic of voice modulation, in which I said I wondered if they just made up their voices based on the general identity they assumed. The first thing. It was what you quoted, and what started this conversation. I don't understand how that is bending over backwards to pretend to remember the thing I literally just said.
Jul 18, 2017 12:40 AM
0 0
Dyne
It appears to me that Arya's unspoken (and pretty obvious) rule is that she only employs Faceless trickery for the direct purpose of assassination (stuff that she can witness firsthand and thereby cross names off of her list). It stays in step with her character thus far -- to use it for political con-games would severely diminish her status as a beloved character.

I expect a season opener to be "eh" for the most part, though. The show-runners want their audience to wipe the sleep out of their eyes and regain cognizance before the fun starts in the new season.
Jul 18, 2017 12:40 AM
0 0
briggmAgreed, Dyne's posting in this thread has been stupid and disgusting. Booze fangirling Ed Sheeran is also unfortunate.

I don't like Ed Sheeran, the fact is simply that he's a big thing and ruined the mood for me with his presence.
Jul 18, 2017 12:59 AM
0 0
booze

I don't like Ed Sheeran, the fact is simply that he's a big thing and ruined the mood for me with his presence.

It was weird and I didn't like it.
Jul 18, 2017 1:26 AM
0 0
Paquito
whathaveicreatedAnd we get the mixed emotions of cheering the vendetta while grappling with the fact that the sweet baby sister is genociding an entire family. At a time when we know Westros could use the Freys as ice cannon fodder.

A better version of the show would be grappling with this. This version of the show won't.

Nah, fuck those dudes.
Jul 18, 2017 1:36 AM
0 0
They intentionally left Sheeran conspicuous as fuck -- no dialogue to blend in, stupid hairstyle intact. They should have shaved his skull and bearded him, or coiffed him. Make his appearance an "Easter egg", not a pungent caper in the middle of a fresh plate of lasagne.
Jul 18, 2017 1:42 AM
0 0
Rooby RooThey intentionally left Sheeran conspicuous as fuck -- no dialogue to blend in, stupid hairstyle intact. They should have shaved his skull and bearded him, or coiffed him. Make his appearance an "Easter egg", not a pungent caper in the middle of a fresh plate of lasagne.

It was still better than the poop montage.
Jul 18, 2017 1:45 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
Rooby RooThey intentionally left Sheeran conspicuous as fuck -- no dialogue to blend in, stupid hairstyle intact. They should have shaved his skull and bearded him, or coiffed him. Make his appearance an "Easter egg", not a pungent caper in the middle of a fresh plate of lasagne.

There was more of an actual point to witnessing a maester-apprentice go about his demeaning daily tasks than to watch an affable, cockeyed "soldier" shoe-gaze silently through one of the more important scenes.
Jul 18, 2017 1:54 AM
0 0
Rooby Roo
Infinitus Corsair

There was more of an actual point to witnessing a maester-apprentice go about his demeaning daily tasks than to watch an affable, cockeyed "soldier" shoe-gaze silently through one of the more important scenes.

Whatever, Rooby Poo.
Jul 18, 2017 1:57 AM
0 0