The Official Game Of Thrones Season 7 Thread. The Great War Is Here.

I think he means that the Hound often says and thinks what the audience is thinking.
Aug 22, 2017 3:38 AM
0 0
NimChimpsky
Rooby Roo
NimChimpsky
How does a character "side with audience members"?
'Hi, I'm Nim. I don't get what posters mean when they use phrasing outside of certain standards because I'm willfully obtuse, unfortunately obtuse, or because I hide behind textbook language when I want to jab at someone but don't know what the fuck I'm getting into here.'

It's the way I'm siding with Jean going upside your head right now, cunt.

The question was a real one. I genuinely have no idea what you meant. You can clarify, or you can do more of whatever this is--I don't actually care.
I'll do neither. I don't care if you understand what I'm saying.
Aug 22, 2017 3:39 AM
0 0
The Tormund-Gendry shipping may prove more fruitful than this episode. But I could watch the zombear sequence on repeat, Sarah Palmer-style.
Aug 22, 2017 3:40 AM
0 0
DetrimentalI think he means that the Hound often says and thinks what the audience is thinking.
You win the Grand Prize Game, Det.
Aug 22, 2017 3:41 AM
0 0
Rooby Roo
DetrimentalI think he means that the Hound often says and thinks what the audience is thinking.
You win the Grand Prize Game, Det.
Okay, well: the Hound often represents what I am thinking. And he's almost as funny.
Aug 22, 2017 3:45 AM
0 0
ergill sanchezThe Tormund-Gendry shipping may prove more fruitful than this episode. But I could watch the zombear sequence on repeat, Sarah Palmer-style.

Noice.
Aug 22, 2017 3:45 AM
0 0
ergill sanchezThe Tormund-Gendry shipping may prove more fruitful than this episode. But I could watch the zombear sequence on repeat, Sarah Palmer-style.
The bear scene was better than any dragon scene so far.
Aug 22, 2017 3:47 AM
0 0
ej
Huge dealbreakers for me! (And some notes):

--It might be a good idea for Jon to not just apologize for getting Dany's dragon killed, but to also bring up, maybe as just as parenthetical, the likelihood he'll be wighted. Ridiculous!

--Do you not understand foreshadowing, Jon? Dumb!

--Speaking of zombie bears, apparently you can see their blue eyes from forty yards away through a blinding snowstorm. LOL. (Okay, maybe the eyes kind of glow.)

--Incidentally, here's where booze has his gay viewing parties. Gay!

--We obviously know how episode 7 is going to start: the Night King sending a wildling redshirt body up the elevator at Eastwatch with a note attached that reads "Now I have a dragon. Ho-ho-ho." (Dumb!)

--"I see you changed the handle to a wolf, Jon." / "Yeah, I couldn't bear the old one!" (My vote for best exchange of the episode!)

--Seeing as how Jon was pretty incapacitated, Dany should have been the one bending the knee in their final scene. Know what I'm sayin'? HAWT.

--Speaking of blowing (i.e., Dany should have given Jon head), Cersei sure is going to have her mind blown by the sight of that single wight, seeing as though she's never seen a zombie before. Well, aside from that one guy who serves as her chief henchman. Derp!

--So it's been how many months since Grey Worm stormed the castle? Any updates? Maybe just a chyron? (Dany's favorite "Greyworm" anagram: "G, me worry?")

--I love it when a Jon-Snow-lack-of-a-plan fails to come together

--How long does it take water to refreeze north of the Wall? Exactly as long as a Gendry-raven-Drogon literal cross-country (x2) relay. Good call, Tormund: If he'd taken the hammer he'd still be rowing.

--Way to hamfistedly "other" the Night King by making him a spear-chucker. Subtle!

--And I guess he's pretty stingy with those spears. He could have taken out that whole hunting party before Gendry even got halfway to the wall. But he decided to just . . . chill.

--Where was Drogon when Rickon needed to learn how to zag?

--The writers get that viewers like hearing the Hound say "cunt." Cool! (It actually is!)

--What will become of our merry band of misfits now that their special time together has come to a close? If, say, Gendry sees Beric in the hallways will Gendry call his name? Or will he walk on by?

B+

Aug 22, 2017 4:35 AM
0 0
Okay, some things:

How do the wights kill Uncle Benjen when he himself is a wight? Do they just tear him apart? We've seen skeleton-wights and wights that are nothing but torsos.

Jon got tackled into the lake and he came out essentially dry, or he was wet and now he is impervious to hypothermia. So, then maybe...

Jon's blood is now fire? I missed the rules on why Beric Dondarrion can use his blood to light his sword on fire. I believe Thoros can do that with his blood as well? I just assumed Thoros's blood was 120 proof and thus flammable. Does flame blood come part and parcel with being a follower of the Lord of Light??

Wights are garbage fighters, and their action sequence at the end of this episode was muddled. Just once I want to see a fight like this be littered with bodies that have to be navigated by the fighters.

Wights' motivations are completely inconsistent now. In the beginning of the show, wights were simply dronish zombies just going after the living. During the sequence when our heroes North of the Wall capture their lone wight, the fucking thing is either confused or scared for some reason. He looks around like a wildebeest trying to protect his six from a pack of spotted hyena. Earlier when Jojen, Meera, Bran, Summer, and Hodor nearly reached the cave entrance to the Three-Eyed Raven, wight behavior changed where suddenly they were capable of ambushing a group of wandering kids from the South. It was obvious that the Children of the Forest ranged outside of that cave, but apparently their presence didn't trigger a response from the wights. Now, a White Walker leads a platoon of wight scouts on patrol...for some reason. White Walkers and wights don't need to be out on sentry patrol. The writers have gotten especially lazy/dumb with the plot contrivances this season.

I guess the Children of the Forest are now extinct? Same with giants? Is Bran the only warg left in the world?

I'm convinced that Melisandre will teleport back to Westeros soon with exotically big-tittied Kinvara in tow. We should have many thousands of Lord of Light warriors/priests in the field soon along with the Golden Company or Second Sons fighting for Cersei.

If the show is sticking to three Targaryens being the heads of the dragons, then it's quite possible that the Night King was once Valyrian if not necessarily a Targ. That would satisfy the "rule" and allow for Tyrion not to be a "secret Targ". But I am with Nim and others here in that I don't think this "rule" has to be interpreted on the show any further than it has been. Plus, I agree with most in that Bran is going to hijack a dragon.

What kind of breath weapon will Viserion have? It has to either be ice or he no longer has any ability to breath anything dangerous. But if he doesn't have a breath weapon, then he's just a Ring Wraith's "fell beast" and fuck those guys.

I'm speculating, but since Euron has been strangely absent from the recent happenings, and the preview didn't show him at all in this upcoming meet up in King's Landing, he's going to fuck up the situation for the living. Euron has been set up as the antagonist for Jaime and maybe Cersei, but Samwell is going to be involved against Euron somehow. The satisfying confrontation for the narrative would be for the Stark girls to take on Cersei, but also fun would Arya and Euron to butt heads. The books allude to Euron being both a possible shadowbinder/sorceror and a Faceless Man, so that would be fun to have Arya or even Varys cross paths with him, but we are running out of show hours. The better guess here would be for Euron to somehow get the upper hand on Dany during this meeting.

Melisandre did tell Arya that those two will meet once again, and though Melisandre has been wrong more than she has been right, I do think this will happen on the show at some point.
Aug 22, 2017 6:27 AM
0 0
Moses
Wights are garbage fighters, and their action sequence at the end of this episode was muddled. Just once I want to see a fight like this be littered with bodies that have to be navigated by the fighters.

I found it weird how easily the wights we're incapacitated. Remember when Jon fought one in Castle Black, and he put a sword through it and it still threw him around? The wights in this battle basically fell over and did nothing after being hit moderately hard.

Then there was that throw away bit of dialogue about killing a white walker taking out all wights they have turned. Seems like a pretty shitty plot device if true.
Aug 22, 2017 10:36 AM
0 0
ej

--Incidentally, here's where booze has his gay viewing parties. Gay!

Oh, don't I wish, that joint has Belgian ales and cider and shit. I'm either drinking Bulgarian rotgut or triple-overpaying for something as forgettable as Finlandia.
Aug 22, 2017 10:42 AM
0 0
It's been years since I read the books, but wasn't the flaming sword essentially just a party trick? There's no fire in the blood or any such shit, he just had some sort of powder, and it was to scare and impress, wasn't it?
Aug 22, 2017 10:45 AM
0 0
ej
Dyne
Then there was that throw away bit of dialogue about killing a white walker taking out all wights they have turned. Seems like a pretty shitty plot device if true.

My heart sank a bit when Beric brought up the old Independence Day mothership trope, but remember that Jon's immediate response was something along the lines of "You don't get how this stuff works."

Also, if it does turn out that eliminating the Night King destroys the rest of his army, well, like it or not, that does kind of make sense.
Aug 22, 2017 11:08 AM
0 0
Dyne

I found it weird how easily the wights we're incapacitated. Remember when Jon fought one in Castle Black, and he put a sword through it and it still threw him around? The wights in this battle basically fell over and did nothing after being hit moderately hard.

I'm sure there's a named trope for this. Reminds me of the vampires in Buffy. Early on it takes all of the Slayer's skill to take one down. By the end of the show vamps are just walking blood balloons waiting to get popped by any little old lady carrying a pointed stick.
Aug 22, 2017 11:21 AM
0 0
wirthling
Dyne

I'm sure there's a named trope for this. Reminds me of the vampires in Buffy. Early on it takes all of the Slayer's skill to take one down. By the end of the show vamps are just walking blood balloons waiting to get popped by any little old lady carrying a pointed stick.

In the movie Alien, there's just one, horrifyingly deadly killing machine. Then in Aliens, Sigourney Weaver is lighting them up like a goddamned video game.
Aug 22, 2017 11:37 AM
0 0
Jean
neumdaddyThe Tormund / Hound chat was arguably the best thing in the episode.

Great stuff, yes, but this was the best Hound quote of the episode and possibly the series:

"Every lord I?ve ever met?s been a cunt, I don?t see why the Lord of Light should be any different."

"Careful, Beric - you lost your priest. This is your last life."
Aug 22, 2017 4:28 PM
0 0
Yay, the walkers have a dragon so they're interesting finally. And apparently ice bears and stuff. Though now they go on patrol like orcs, which is weird.?

And they all still feel good about the plan to bring the wight to Cersei...

Speculations -
- seeing a flying ice dragon is more convincing than a single wight
-I want to see Bronn kill that ice dragon with the Night King on it's back with a ballista firing a dragon glass bolt, so he can get his castle.

Aug 22, 2017 4:53 PM
0 0
BattyRoy-I want to see Bronn kill that ice dragon with the Night King on it's back with a ballista firing a dragon glass bolt, so he can get his castle.

Hmmm, you're probably onto something here with the "scorpion" finally being useful when paired with dragonglass bolts. Would be a good weapon against ice giants, as well.
Aug 22, 2017 5:06 PM
0 0
wirthling
Dyne

Degraded Boss and Conservation of Ninjutsu both fit, in their own ways.
Aug 22, 2017 6:15 PM
0 0
ej
BattyRoyThough now [the White Walkers] go on patrol like orcs, which is weird.?

While it might be a smidgen too smarmy to suggest that it isn't so weird in light of the plot dictating that Jon & Co. encounter a smaller group of walkers, it certainly helped that they happened upon that, seeing as though an understanding of White Walker group dynamics didn't factor into Jon's plan.
Aug 22, 2017 7:10 PM
0 0