The Official Game Of Thrones Season 7 Thread. The Great War Is Here.

Original Poster

Season 7 Trailer

To be honest, I'm not nearly as excited for new episodes as I used to be. The potential the series once held is never going to be realized, due to a series of careless errors the show-runners made in the last few seasons.

Game of Thrones is now a really fun action show. Let's sit back and watch David Benioff & D.B. Weiss smash all the pieces together, as they begin their fan-fiction ending to a Song of Ice and Fire.
May 25, 2017 12:50 AM
0 0
From an interview with Benioff & Weiss

Q: Your background was books and features and you once said early on that your unfamiliarity with episodic TV sometimes left you short of scenes that had to be written hastily. What other learned lessons will help you the rest of your career?

Benioff & Weiss: One practical thing we've learned as writers is how to work almost anywhere. We had specific, persnickety routines, before. This chair, this coffee mug, this time of day. When we started Thrones, it quickly became apparent that our old ways of working would prevent us from getting the scripts done on time, and that this in itself could destroy the show.

I laughed out loud. G.R.R.M. has not learned this lesson, which is why he'll die before he sees the end of ASOIAF
May 25, 2017 1:08 AM
0 0
Paquito

Season 7 Trailer

To be honest, I'm not nearly as excited for new episodes as I used to be. The potential the series once held is never going to be realized, due to a series of careless errors the show-runners made in the last few seasons.

Game of Thrones is now a really fun action show. Let's sit back and watch David Benioff & D.B. Weiss smash all the pieces together, as they begin their fan-fiction ending to a Song of Ice and Fire.

You nailed it.
May 25, 2017 1:08 AM
0 0
I mean, I still think there's a certain thrill in seeing the endgame start to come together (in literal conflict, as this trailer indicates). S6 was entertaining but also sanded down some of the finer edges to the show's nuances, hurrying through narratives and kinda ruining others (ugh, Sand Snakes). Still, that trailer was pretty cool and I'm absolutely looking forward to this season.
May 25, 2017 1:26 AM
0 0
neumdaddyI mean, I still think there's a certain thrill in seeing the endgame start to come together (in literal conflict, as this trailer indicates). S6 was entertaining but also sanded down some of the finer edges to the show's nuances, hurrying through narratives and kinda ruining others (ugh, Sand Snakes). Still, that trailer was pretty cool and I'm absolutely looking forward to this season.

There will absolutely be moments of brilliance in these last two seasons. As disappointed as I am about the series as a whole, the last episode of last season, particularly the scenes in King's landing leading up to the destruction of the Great Sept, was phenomenal.
May 25, 2017 1:32 AM
0 0
I have to admit that I never actually finished the whole of Season 6. I just caught the big scenes on YouTube.

I know GRRM gets a lot of shit for both his writing pace and the declining quality of the last two books, but I'm still more invested in the book story than I am in the show, which often simplifies things to the point that the behavior of the characters makes no sense.

And it irritates me that major plot points for the book are going to continue to be spoiled by the show, but the only one to blame for that is Martin himself.
May 25, 2017 8:20 AM
0 0
Honestly, that trailer sucks and seems to have no idea what makes the show good. Dialogue is way up there, obvs. I want to see and hear Arya say things.
May 25, 2017 12:11 PM
0 0
Jun 21, 2017 5:02 PM
0 0
neumdaddyNew trailer

Meh.
Jun 21, 2017 9:54 PM
0 0
Ivan the Terrible
neumdaddyNew trailer

Meh.

I'm mostly on board with a lot of what's happening (with some damage already done), so it didn't take much to amp me up. I thought it was a solid trailer, but not quite as goosebump-inducing as the previous, action-packed one.
Jun 21, 2017 9:56 PM
0 0
Jul 6, 2017 2:13 AM
0 0
Esoteric Allusionhttp://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/07/game_of_thrones_author_george_r_r_martin_is_obsessed_with_soup.html

Solid article.

GRRM's writing habits have become more exaggerated the farther into the series we've gotten.?

I did a search on my Kindle once. The phrase 'Words are wind' was used for the first time in Storm of Swords, but only once or twice. It was then used another twenty times between Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons.

I'd expect a similar result for variations of 'Many and more/little and less.'
Jul 6, 2017 11:16 PM
0 0
Ivan the Terrible
Esoteric Allusionhttp://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/07/game_of_thrones_author_george_r_r_martin_is_obsessed_with_soup.html

Solid article.

GRRM's writing habits have become more exaggerated the farther into the series we've gotten.?

I did a search on my Kindle once. The phrase 'Words are wind' was used for the first time in Storm of Swords, but only once or twice. It was then used another twenty times between Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons.

I'd expect a similar result for variations of 'Many and more/little and less.'

Oh man, so many little catch phrases. Dude is actually extremely lazy with his prose and it surprises me how little it bugs people.
Jul 6, 2017 11:20 PM
0 0
Jul 8, 2017 5:57 PM
0 0
Ivan the TerribleI know GRRM gets a lot of shit for both his writing pace and the declining quality of the last two books, but I'm still more invested in the book story than I am in the show, which often simplifies things to the point that the behavior of the characters makes no sense.

And it irritates me that major plot points for the book are going to continue to be spoiled by the show, but the only one to blame for that is Martin himself.

I wonder if Martin is waiting until the show wraps up, so he could see he could try end the books in a substantially different way.
Jul 9, 2017 12:59 PM
0 0
Paquito
Ivan the TerribleI know GRRM gets a lot of shit for both his writing pace and the declining quality of the last two books, but I'm still more invested in the book story than I am in the show, which often simplifies things to the point that the behavior of the characters makes no sense.

I wonder if Martin is waiting until the show wraps up, so he could see he could try end the books in a substantially different way.

He wrote a blog post some time back which suggested he wasn't even aware of any precedent for a TV show overtaking the books it's adapted from. The blog post also gave the impression he was feeling a lot of embarrassment over the situation.

I don't think his motivations run much deeper than him being a genuinely slow writer who, for most of his life, has never been under severe pressure to write any faster than his preferred pace. And now that he's world famous and pressure is being applied, alongside ridicule, he finds he can't change.

EDIT: Of course, I could be wrong. All of this makes me wonder if he was ever chewed out for his writing pace when he was working on Twilight Zone or Beauty and the Beast in the '80s. I'm pretty sure a TV show can't wait a year for you to finish a screenplay, and pretty sure Martin was low-profile enough that repeatedly failing to deliver work on time would have resulted in him simply being kicked to the curb.

Now he's old, famous and rich. If he never sells another book, he will still be all of those things. All the real incentive is gone. I have to imagine that has an effect on his speed.
Jul 9, 2017 3:09 PM
0 0
Plus, all his pens are covered in jelly.
Jul 9, 2017 3:43 PM
0 0
I'm slightly concerned by the actors out stumping on the press circuit relentlessly repeating some version of "It's full on, it never lets you take a breath, it's non-stop action!". I do want a bit of story in there.
Jul 11, 2017 1:33 AM
0 0
boozeI'm slightly concerned by the actors out stumping on the press circuit relentlessly repeating some version of "It's full on, it never lets you take a breath, it's non-stop action!". I do want a bit of story in there.

Given Walder Frey's perfunctory demise, I don't think there's cause for much hope here.
Jul 12, 2017 11:35 AM
0 0
Jul 12, 2017 3:35 PM
0 0