Is Banking on Nostalgia going to damage the film industry long term?

Original Poster
I touched on this in the Star Trek thread. What are today's kids going to be nostalgic for 20 years from now? It seems like Hollywood is trying to cater to older audiences with soft reboots and sequels or re-purposing an property for the adults who loved said property as a child. It seems few studios are making fully family friendly entertainment beyond animated films. I could be way off here, but it seems like as a business, you would really want to hook children on your blockbuster movie first and foremost so that you can sell all of those toys and foster a relationship with an audience over decades.

Most tentpoles seem to be made for crazy people nowadays when I look at Suicide Squad, Rogue One, or Power Rangers. A quirky, weird movie like, say Monster Trucks gets thrown under the bus when in reality, if handled better could have been the perfect jumping off point for connecting with audiences of all ages. If I were a child, I feel like my parents would be dragging me from noise machine replica to noise machine replica of something THEY loved as a child, to the point where it all gets jumbled together and I am not given the opportunity to gravitate towards a franchise I could call my own.

As an aside, when I worked at DisneyWorld I saw thousands of kids everyday and the most popular merchandise I would notice them to wear/carry from non-animated movie/DisneyWorld/Orlando sources would be Minecraft, Captain America ( other Avengers to lesser extent), Adventure Time, and Pok?mon. As far as Star Wars march was concerned, far more adults were into that, though we could not keep Kylo Ren light sabers in stock on the eve of Force Awakens.
May 19, 2017 5:46 AM
0 0
I don't think thats going to do it in. There will always be nostalgia. But its boomers that still drives it. We're just big kids that got to grow up in a happy time and there were tons of us.
You'll get your own nostalgia when you are your parent's age.
May 19, 2017 7:11 AM
0 0
Yup, 20-25 years from now, they'll be making Adventure Time: The Movie, directed by the future's equivalent of Michael Bay.
May 19, 2017 2:24 PM
0 0