The Alienist (Official Trailer)

Original Poster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJQnaXiCfI&t=1s

...on TNT. Not that I'm complaining since a few of the scenes shown in the trailer suggest a great deal of faithfulness to the source material. I'm surprised TNT is doing this when you consider some very controversial but critical elements of the novel have been left in the TV series (based on trailer).
May 18, 2017 8:31 PM
0 0
Black PhilipGreat book. I wonder what took them so long to do it.

Budget concerns and the whole underage brothel thing. No matter how you cut it, the fact that they delve into the seedy underbelly of underage prostitution is not going to win over many audiences.I heard the budget per episode on this show is massive, too. Not far behind Game of Thrones. Not quite the level of something like Rome, but still pretty damn expensive.
May 18, 2017 9:01 PM
0 0
Don't really recognize most of the cast except Dakota Fanning and Ted Levine.

Not my thing, but if it gets good reviews I'd give it a try.
May 18, 2017 9:07 PM
0 0
Black Philip
Feuer und Eis

Budget concerns and the whole underage brothel thing. No matter how you cut it, the fact that they delve into the seedy underbelly of underage prostitution is not going to win over many audiences.I heard the budget per episode on this show is massive, too. Not far behind Game of Thrones. Not quite the level of something like Rome, but still pretty damn expensive.

That trailer looked quite lavish. I'm glad they got Daniel Bruhl for the part. He's a fantastic actor.

My only concern is who was cast as the young Roosevelt. His name escapes me. He's been in some great films, but doesn't really strike me as the intelligent leader of the pack type. Everyone else in the cast in near pitch perfect. I really hope this show springboards into another sequel, but it's a tough sell to audiences. General audiences might find the subject matter too dark while the current politically correct subgroups will find the prostitution aspect (sexual abuse of homosexual/trans children) to be an extremely offensive stereotype despite historical accuracy. I hope it's good (Fukunaga has seldom disappointed).
May 18, 2017 9:49 PM
0 0
Holy shit, I read this book so long ago I forgot it existed.
Well this is cool.
May 19, 2017 3:14 AM
0 0
Feuer und EisNo matter how you cut it, the fact that they delve into the seedy underbelly of underage prostitution is not going to win over many audiences.

Then why has Law & Order: Special Victims Unit been on for eighteen goddamn years?
May 19, 2017 3:19 AM
0 0
WooleyHoly shit, I read this book so long ago I forgot it existed.
Well this is cool.

Same here. I was thinking, "Why does this sound so familiar?" Oh yeah. I actually read the freaking thing. It looks like a solid adaptation.
May 19, 2017 4:08 AM
0 0
Feuer und Eis

Underage brothels will definitely increase the budget.
May 19, 2017 4:57 AM
0 0
Wow I read this book a long time ago and had completely forgotten about it. Trailer looks good. When is this scheduled to start??
May 19, 2017 9:35 AM
0 0
Catbus
Feuer und Eis

Underage brothels will definitely increase the budget.

It's times like these when I hope and pray that Jared Fogle doesn't have a television in his prison cell.
May 19, 2017 1:02 PM
0 0
It might gain more awareness if they advertised that it's from the creator of True Detective, and essentially an extremely adult version of Sherlock Holmes.
May 19, 2017 9:14 PM
0 0