First trailer for Star Trek: Discovery (new TV series by CBS)

Original Poster
Starring Sonequa Martin-Green from Walking Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
May 18, 2017 1:53 PM
0 0
"Ten Years Before Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise... and apparently paper mache diodes replacing holograph interfaces, Fu Man Chu Klingons, and a Prime Directive."

Can't wait to see this. On YouTube. Sped up, watermarked, and shrunken to avoid copyright shutdowns.
May 18, 2017 7:01 PM
0 0
Looks expensive
May 18, 2017 7:23 PM
0 0
Jason Isaacs is the main captain in Discovery and he's not even in the trailer?
May 18, 2017 7:35 PM
0 0
Looks pretty cool. At first I thought I detected two Asian characters with a lead Asian woman.
Now I think it might be just the one. I thought that would have been innovative because
I still see Asians as under represented. I didn't know SMG was moving to Star Trek. That's sort of cool.

I liked the ship coming in through the atmosphere.

I hope you like lens flares because that's what you are getting.
May 18, 2017 8:08 PM
0 0
It looks to me like a series which has potential, but it doesn't look to me anything like a Star Trek series which has potential. Like a show that isn't Star Trek being painfully forced into Star Trek garb just to exploit the name for views. The biggest problem is setting it before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise (just had to throw those names at you to make that connection and exploit the names for views) because I'm looking at it and thinking, this is creating big problems, and, were those supposed to be Klingons? A Vulcan with a human tongue? Before Spock? It's only the first few minutes of the series and it's already showing a disregard for source. That's just going to cause problems I have no idea what the producers are thinking.
May 18, 2017 8:47 PM
0 0
Oh and biologically engineered to sense death? I don't know...
May 18, 2017 8:50 PM
0 0
Rumpled 4 SkinLooks expensive

It looks expensive as fuck.
May 19, 2017 4:50 AM
0 0
It looks like an extremely expensive fan film in terms of style... hope the performances are better in context. I also feel like it's too dark. Not thematically, but visually it is oddly light.

The main problem here is that it does look waaay too expensive. Viacom might end up killing the entire franchise. They bungled the 50th anniversary in a huge way and now put out an extremely high budget show on a very niche network/streaming service. A show on this scale needs to be syndicated on multiple networks, like TNG, so as many folk as possible can watch it, ESPECIALLY children who should be your number ONE demographic to focus on if you want to ensure the longevity of the series. I'm not saying it should be made for children, but it needs to be easily accessible for family viewing on a consistent basis. Which leads me to my next problem, Star Trek should be more optimistic. Public trends have shifted more towards pop and camp like Fast and the Furious and Marvel. Public also is favoring Star Wars right now. If you take you space adventure show filled with all kinds of really out there concepts and take it super seriously, you are going to alienate almost everybody. Star Trek needs levity and strong themes of familial relationships.
May 19, 2017 5:35 AM
0 0
You're mistaking the purpose of the show. It isn't to bring new fans to Trek. It is to bring in subscriptions to CBS's streaming service. They'll want it to be water-cooler talk, as well as epic on a level of GoT. The franchise is just there to be a known name, to get the ball rolling.

Also, if those are supposed to be Klingons... just blech.
May 19, 2017 2:20 PM
0 0
Rumor has it the Klingons are some sort of "ancient" klingons, and that "normal" klingons will also feature. ?But I don't know how credible that is, just something I read online.
May 19, 2017 6:49 PM
0 0
Its interesting to me that this take place 10 years before Kirk and Spot - Womens lib must have taken a dive in the 10 years since this and there tenure. You go from women ship captains to Ohura and scantily clad women in skirts. Minor detail. But looks interesting.
May 19, 2017 8:51 PM
0 0
I see it as unimpressive. There was little or nothing to grab there, really, and I didn't get the Star Trek feeling, and I wanted to.

This is my signature file
http://midnightfire.blogspot.com
May 19, 2017 9:23 PM
0 0
I think Axterix is right about the goals.

I'm mostly a TOS fan and my needs are mostly serviced by the films.
I am game for a newish spin. I am not locked into a nostalgia loop anymore.

This looks to me like a fusion of Wrath of Khan and the new Star Trek movies and a little Force Awakens around the edges.

The uniforms feel Star Treky to me.
May 19, 2017 10:51 PM
0 0
So what will CBS All Access be? If I have a package from Frontier, will it include the new CBS channel, or is it a premium channel? I get AMC, will I get CBS All Access?

CBS has already lost pretty much all my viewership because they don't have a free app on XBox. ?ABC dropped support for their XBox 360 app, so now I pretty much watch NBC and FOX shows (in addition to AMC, FX, SyFy, USA, ComedyCentral, etc.). ?I don't have enough time to watch everything I might want to watch anyway, so if a network makes it more difficult to see their shows, I can find something else.
May 22, 2017 3:56 PM
0 0
There is not a chance in hell I a going to subscribe to CBS all access.
I know CBS has had some hit shows but I didn't watch any of them.
I'll work some mojo and try to watch at least the pilot episode of Disccovery.
May 22, 2017 9:34 PM
0 0
BukamaSo what will CBS All Access be? If I have a package from Frontier, will it include the new CBS channel, or is it a premium channel? I get AMC, will I get CBS All Access?

CBS has already lost pretty much all my viewership because they don't have a free app on XBox. ?ABC dropped support for their XBox 360 app, so now I pretty much watch NBC and FOX shows (in addition to AMC, FX, SyFy, USA, ComedyCentral, etc.). ?I don't have enough time to watch everything I might want to watch anyway, so if a network makes it more difficult to see their shows, I can find something else.

It sort of lets you watch everything that CBS has ever made.
May 22, 2017 9:35 PM
0 0
Robin McDonald
BukamaSo what will CBS All Access be? If I have a package from Frontier, will it include the new CBS channel, or is it a premium channel? I get AMC, will I get CBS All Access?

So...

NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
NCIS: New Orleans
NCIS: Des Moines

etc.
May 22, 2017 10:55 PM
0 0
Robin McDonald

But it's not going to be included with standard cable packages? ?It will be a premium station like HBO? ?Do they really think their old catalog is worth like an HBO or Netflix subscription? ?Will they even have all the old Star Trek shows (that might tempt me since I haven't seen all the episodes of Voyager and Enterprise).
May 22, 2017 11:23 PM
0 0
TheZapper
Robin McDonald

So...

NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
NCIS: New Orleans
NCIS: Des Moines

etc.

CBS is part of an affiliate that includes other channels as well. If they want to go big, they'll likely integrate those as well, in which case you'd also get the likes of Showtime and others. They also own half of CW, though CW currently has a deal with Netflix.
May 23, 2017 12:00 AM
0 0