The review aggregates on RT for TV are awful, right?

Original Poster
Like what does an 85% even mean? Or a 100%? I don't know if TV reviewers are not particularly discerning about tv shows, or if the rating per episode format throws things out of wack, but outside of things being absolutely critically panned the system does seem to clarify anything.

I feel like I might have posted this thread before.
May 16, 2017 6:30 PM
0 0
They're especially meaningless for the season reviews, at least initially. Critics are posting "season reviews" after seeing maybe the first 3 to 4 episodes sent to them from studios (I noticed AV Club doing this and it's next to worthless).

Episode-level tomatometers mean a bit more but RT isn't advertising those quite as loudly.
May 16, 2017 6:49 PM
0 0
ZubenLike what does an 85% even mean? Or a 100%? ?I don't know if TV reviewers are not particularly discerning about tv shows, or if the rating per episode format throws things out of wack, but outside of things being absolutely critically panned the system does seem to clarify anything.

Ha. I think I posted about this in the "Everything You Watch This Year" thread but it goes across multiple platforms besides RT. Netflix, for example. It seems that TV critics are just Mayor McCheeses who fucking like everything.
May 17, 2017 4:22 AM
0 0
Bigwig
ZubenLike what does an 85% even mean? Or a 100%? ?I don't know if TV reviewers are not particularly discerning about tv shows, or if the rating per episode format throws things out of wack, but outside of things being absolutely critically panned the system does seem to clarify anything.

Ha. I think I posted about this in the "Everything You Watch This Year" thread but it goes across multiple platforms besides RT. Netflix, for example. It seems that TV critics are just Mayor McCheeses who fucking like everything.

Hey Wirthling, easy money.
May 17, 2017 4:50 AM
0 0
Paquito
Bigwig

What, dated reference? He's always smiling!
May 17, 2017 4:53 AM
0 0
ej
Paquito
Bigwig

Sense8? More like SenseGreat!
May 17, 2017 12:32 PM
0 0
neumdaddyThey're especially meaningless for the season reviews, at least initially. Critics are posting "season reviews" after seeing maybe the first 3 to 4 episodes sent to them from studios (I noticed AV Club doing this and it's next to worthless).

Episode-level tomatometers mean a bit more but RT isn't advertising those quite as loudly.

4 hours (or 2 hours) is more than enough time to give a hot take.? Most shows, if I don't like the pilot, I don't bother with more than 2 episodes at most.

Life is too short to sit through something "before it gets good."
May 17, 2017 5:37 PM
0 0
Mayor McCheese is awesome!
May 17, 2017 5:44 PM
0 0
Facebook User
neumdaddyThey're especially meaningless for the season reviews, at least initially. Critics are posting "season reviews" after seeing maybe the first 3 to 4 episodes sent to them from studios (I noticed AV Club doing this and it's next to worthless).

4 hours (or 2 hours) is more than enough time to give a hot take.? Most shows, if I don't like the pilot, I don't bother with more than 2 episodes at most.

How much shorter is life with fake HIV?
May 17, 2017 6:03 PM
0 0
Facebook User

Honestly, then you should read the episode reviews. "Season reviews" based on incomplete material can be misleading, especially if you're considering viewing a show that's already finished their season. I understand why it's done, but that's not nearly as useful as a movie tomatometer.
May 17, 2017 6:17 PM
0 0
Bigwig
Paquito
Bigwig

What, dated reference? He's always smiling!

Bigwig, your joke meaning detector is brooooooke. It's broke.
May 17, 2017 7:27 PM
0 0
Moses
Facebook User

How much shorter is life with fake HIV?

Lol.
May 17, 2017 7:27 PM
0 0
My recommendation: Just watch every show. Only way to know for sure which ones are great and which ones are really great.
May 17, 2017 7:30 PM
0 0
wirthlingMy recommendation: Just watch every show. Only way to know for sure which ones are great and which ones are really great.

Wirth, on the other hand, is in possession of a working joke detector.
May 17, 2017 7:35 PM
0 0
A lot of people are wondering if Last Man Standing was cancelled because of Tim Allen's outspokenness. No, it wasn't-- it had a 40000% on the tomatometer, it was clearly not a hit.
May 17, 2017 8:24 PM
0 0
Oh, good god.
May 17, 2017 9:31 PM
0 0
neumdaddy
Facebook User

Honestly, then you should read the episode reviews. "Season reviews" based on incomplete material can be misleading, especially if you're considering viewing a show that's already finished their season. I understand why it's done, but that's not nearly as useful as a movie tomatometer.

4 episodes is more than enough time to judge the overall thrust of a season/story arch in a preliminary way.? I've never read a season review that I thought was misleading. have an example?
May 18, 2017 1:31 PM
0 0
The Review Aggregates ARE crap.Man With a Plan gets 21% which is way too high.
Jun 17, 2017 2:30 AM
0 0
Facebook User
neumdaddy
Facebook User

4 episodes is more than enough time to judge the overall thrust of a season/story arch in a preliminary way.? I've never read a season review that I thought was misleading. have an example?

Oh, this thread. Anyway, a quick answer without thinking more about it...

Better Call Saul S3 (current).
Jun 19, 2017 4:31 AM
0 0