The official "Twin Peaks" anticipation/reaction thread

The explosion itself was also just utterly breath taking. I'm glad I recently got a big tv to watch that on.
Jul 3, 2017 2:21 PM
0 0
ZubenI saw the explosion less as the birth of Bob and more of a distortion that allowed him, and the Black Lodge as well, to play a more active role in the world. The idea of "birth" that I see people using in relation to this scene, like it's Bob's origin story, seems to undermine Bob's agelessness to me.

Birth is a good shorthand, because it evokes an emergence, but yes, I agree. It was a breakdown between worlds.

I've always been someone unprepared to treat BOB and the black lodge as entirely separate from us. There is a little bit in the series that seems to forgive Leland Palmer his own culpability--he was possessed!--but the best reading of that to me has always been that evil forces can only find purchase in our world commensurate with human weakness, fear, and capacity for violence. BOB's possession of Leland was neither fully literal nor fully metaphorical because the difference doesn't really matter. Here, using the atomic test--the ultimate expression of human capacity for evil and the rot undergirding mid-century glossily peaceful Americana is both the most obvious and most perfect representation of our darker side and the perfect catalyst for a full breakdown between our world and the other. "Gotta light?" makes sense in this context. How was the atomic explosion anything other than a light drawing moths? Evil evil moths.
Jul 3, 2017 3:14 PM
0 0
NimChimpsky
ZubenI saw the explosion less as the birth of Bob and more of a distortion that allowed him, and the Black Lodge as well, to play a more active role in the world. The idea of "birth" that I see people using in relation to this scene, like it's Bob's origin story, seems to undermine Bob's agelessness to me.

Birth is a good shorthand, because it evokes an emergence, but yes, I agree. It was a breakdown between worlds.

I've always been someone unprepared to treat BOB and the black lodge as entirely separate from us. There is a little bit in the series that seems to forgive Leland Palmer his own culpability--he was possessed!--but the best reading of that to me has always been that evil forces can only find purchase in our world commensurate with human weakness, fear, and capacity for violence. BOB's possession of Leland was neither fully literal nor fully metaphorical because the difference doesn't really matter. Here, using the atomic test--the ultimate expression of human capacity for evil and the rot undergirding mid-century glossily peaceful Americana is both the most obvious and most perfect representation of our darker side and the perfect catalyst for a full breakdown between our world and the other. "Gotta light?" makes sense in this context. How was the atomic explosion anything other than a light drawing moths? Evil evil moths.

In Bob's departure speech right before he causes Leland to kill himself, he mentions something about residing in the hole where Leland's conscience used to be. As he's dying, Leland also says something like "I let him in." ?There's a lot of indication that it isn't necessarily easy to enter our world or possess people. I think it is necessary the human invite the possession - like by saying "Fire, Walk With Me," which was tattooed on the arm that Mike's host (Gerard) cut off to stop the mayhem (along with taking anti-psychotic meds).

Bob's goal with Laura Palmer seemed to be to get her to let him in, but she successfully resisted to the end. ?Then in the Lodge, Cooper essentially agreed to give up his soul in exchange for freeing Annie, and it seems Bob took full possession of Coop's body for 25 years (not a sharing arrangement as he had with Leland). Now I'm waiting to see what happens to Cooper's real body and the Dougie construct, since it looked like Bob's globe was forced out.
Jul 4, 2017 3:30 AM
0 0
This is a good article about the series so far, but it also refers to "the late Harry Dean Stanton"-- uh, Vulture, dude's not dead.
Jul 6, 2017 5:32 PM
0 0
MeowThis is a good article about the series so far, but it also refers to "the late Harry Dean Stanton"-- uh, Vulture, dude's not dead.

By the time they make a correction he may well be.
Jul 6, 2017 9:40 PM
0 0
Hmmm. That joke could be taken to mean that Vulture will be slow to make the correction, which isn't the joke. It's that he looks like he could die at any second. Please laugh accordingly.
Jul 6, 2017 9:40 PM
0 0
"Please laugh accordingly" was a better joke than the joke it is referring to.
Jul 6, 2017 9:41 PM
0 0
ZubenHmmm. That joke could be taken to mean that Vulture will be slow to make the correction, which isn't the joke. It's that he looks like he could die at any second. Please laugh accordingly.

90 is a pretty hilarious age. That's usually when people start responding to "How are you doing today" with "Fine, but I wish I were dead."
Jul 6, 2017 9:47 PM
0 0
Meow
ZubenHmmm. That joke could be taken to mean that Vulture will be slow to make the correction, which isn't the joke. It's that he looks like he could die at any second. Please laugh accordingly.

90 is a pretty hilarious age. That's usually when people start responding to "How are you doing today" with "Fine, but I wish I were dead."

Or maybe only my grandmother did this stuff when she hit 90. Joke's on you, grandma: you're 100 and still alive!
Jul 6, 2017 9:49 PM
0 0
Harry Dean Stanton has looked on the brink of death since 1976. He's a human cockroach, and will outlive us all.
Jul 6, 2017 10:08 PM
0 0
ej
I don't know in what Mandela-Effect universe you oddballs have been living in which you specifically remember the date on which Harry Dean Stanton didn't die six years ago.
Jul 7, 2017 9:40 AM
0 0
Jul 10, 2017 2:13 AM
0 0
Caught up this weekend on the show and this thread. Also watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me in the hopes it would fill in some blanks. It mostly added more blanks, of course. I probably need to go back and watch season two of the original, too. I'm not sure if I watched all of it when it first came on and some of the characters and references in the new show and in discussions here are unfamiliar.

But anyway, wow, I love the new show.
Jul 17, 2017 2:29 AM
0 0
I was busting up pretty hard during the cake eating reaction shots.
Jul 19, 2017 2:01 AM
0 0
I loved the couch colour selection scene in the 9th episode. It feels strangely sardonic/cynical, like they are objects of a kind of sneery mirth, while simultaneously representing a purity that the show celebrates and urges us to preserve. There's something similar with Bobby crying over his dad.?
Jul 19, 2017 2:20 AM
0 0
I'm mostly wondering how (or if) disparate scenes will come together. I'm okay if we don't see Wally Brando again, but I want to see Jerry get back together with Ben to explain what's been going on (is he actually close to an entry point to the Dark Lodge?). What is Dr. Jacobi up to (if anything other than web scams)? Biggest question is when will Audrey re-enter the picture (will she have to shoot her horrible son Richard?). Is Richard genetically Coop's offspring - or a mix with Bob's essence?

I also like the new characters - I hope they remain after Cooper eventually "wakes up." ?Especially Naomi Watts, but even Jim Belushi. We now know that Bob/Cooper must have set up the box in NY that apparently intercepted his essence being sucked back into the Lodge. The pacing doesn't bother me - I actually find it a relief not to be rushed through the story. The questions above are almost secondary to watching the characters develop.

Also - great to see Rebecca Del Rio again - another return from Mulholland Drive!
Jul 20, 2017 8:08 PM
0 0
What are we supposed to make of the extent to which those around him are willing to ignore, or cover for, the fact that Dougie suddenly became deeply retarded? Is that just Lynch jokes, or is it commentary??
Jul 22, 2017 3:33 AM
0 0
Little AshI was busting up pretty hard during the cake eating reaction shots.

I read this before I saw it, but yeah.
Jul 22, 2017 3:37 AM
0 0