The official "Twin Peaks" anticipation/reaction thread

Original Poster
It's back on May 21st. That's real soon. Thoughts?

Per usual, no plot details in advance of the shows being aired (if you somehow know them) but after a show has aired, it's spoiler town.
May 8, 2017 11:02 PM
0 0
The latest teaser at least confirmed that the new season will feature actors and presumably contain dialogue. The first two episodes are premiering at Cannes, probably a few days before it airs-- I wonder if Showtime will send screeners to reviewers earlier? In any case, I'm a huge Lynch fan and this is his first work in over a god damn decade. I'm excited.
May 8, 2017 11:08 PM
0 0
Google tells me it's likely it'll play at Cannes after the US premiere.
May 8, 2017 11:18 PM
0 0
Kind of derailing my own thread for a sec, but Meow you recommended some Asian film not tht long ago and I can't remember what it was. Was it "The Silenced" or was it something else?
May 9, 2017 12:34 AM
0 0
My main concern is that the new Twin Peaks will be Lynch at his most self-indulgent, but hopefully not. Even if that's the case, I welcome it. And I think that this continuation actually makes sense for this TV show, and not just because the dream from the third (?) episode takes place 25 years later.
May 9, 2017 12:36 AM
0 0
ZubenKind of derailing my own thread for a sec, but Meow you recommended some Asian film not tht long ago and I can't remember what it was. Was it "The Silenced" or was it something else?

The Handmaiden? It's about Korea during the Japanese occupation. Or Under the Shadow, which is kinda closer to your guess but that's Iranian. Both are very good. The Handmaiden is great, actually.
May 9, 2017 1:02 AM
0 0
ZubenMy main concern is that the new Twin Peaks will be Lynch at his most self-indulgent, but hopefully not. Even if that's the case, I welcome it. And I think that this continuation actually makes sense for this TV show, and not just because the dream from the third (?) episode takes place 25 years later.

I'm fine with Lynch at his most indulgent in this universe--Fire Walk With Me is a genuinely great film, imo, even if it goes off the rails at times--but the involvement of Mark Frost here should be reassuring for those of you who aren't into Lynch untethered. It was Frost that shaped Lynch's vision into something that was a television show even while transcending it.

I genuinely don't know what to expect. These reboot/continuation projects of the last few years have by and large not been especially successful. But this isn't like most other shows.
May 9, 2017 1:34 AM
0 0
Meow
ZubenKind of derailing my own thread for a sec, but Meow you recommended some Asian film not tht long ago and I can't remember what it was. Was it "The Silenced" or was it something else?

The Handmaiden? It's about Korea during the Japanese occupation. Or Under the Shadow, which is kinda closer to your guess but that's Iranian. Both are very good. The Handmaiden is great, actually.

Uff, that sounds rapey. Japan on Korea during WW2 and it's called The Handmaiden. I have a weirdly low tolerance for rape scenes.
May 9, 2017 2:00 AM
0 0
NimChimpsky
ZubenMy main concern is that the new Twin Peaks will be Lynch at his most self-indulgent, but hopefully not. Even if that's the case, I welcome it. And I think that this continuation actually makes sense for this TV show, and not just because the dream from the third (?) episode takes place 25 years later.

I'm fine with Lynch at his most indulgent in this universe--Fire Walk With Me is a genuinely great film, imo, even if it goes off the rails at times--but the involvement of Mark Frost here should be reassuring for those of you who aren't into Lynch untethered. It was Frost that shaped Lynch's vision into something that was a television show even while transcending it.

I genuinely don't know what to expect. These reboot/continuation projects of the last few years have by and large not been especially successful. But this isn't like most other shows.

As I said, even Lynch at his worst is something I'd welcome. I just like Muholland Drive more than Inland Empire.
May 9, 2017 2:03 AM
0 0
Zuben
Meow

Uff, that sounds rapey. Japan on Korea during WW2 and it's called The Handmaiden. I have a weirdly low tolerance for rape scenes.

There's no rape but plenty of intrigue and double crossing.

(I mean to say there isn't a moment where you are forced to watch a woman being raped. Unnf, it's complicated There's a lot about power and sexual dynamics, and at its core, it's a love story about two women living in a deeply homophobic society. But it's good.)
May 9, 2017 2:55 AM
0 0
Meow
Zuben
Meow

There's no rape but plenty of intrigue and double crossing.

Just watch it. It's a great movie. It's erotic and super awesome.
May 9, 2017 2:56 AM
0 0
I have been anticipating the return for months (probably more than a year). I finally saw "The Straight Story" a few weeks ago (featuring a small part for Ed from Twin Peaks, btw). Lynch was quoted saying he thought of it as his most experimental film yet, though that might have been tongue in cheek. I thought it was fine, though not in the same category as "Muholland Drive," "Lost Highway," or "Eraserhead." I even enjoy "Dune" to some extent. ?And I very much liked the first third of "Fire: Walk With Me."

So bring on the Twin Peaks sequel! So sad Miguel Ferrer won't be a continuing character. And Pete Martell.
May 9, 2017 11:02 PM
0 0
Bukama

So bring on the Twin Peaks sequel! So sad Miguel Ferrer won't be a continuing character. And Pete Martell.

The absence of Jack Nance is sad, of course, and I'm not sure why Michael Ontkean isn't back, but fwiw, Ferrer is in it--he filmed his scenes before he died.
May 9, 2017 11:12 PM
0 0
I'm trying hard to keep my expectations low so I won't be disappointed by it, but really, my expectations are through the roof.
May 9, 2017 11:22 PM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionI'm trying hard to keep my expectations low so I won't be disappointed by it, but really, my expectations are through the roof.

Everything Lynch does is, at very least, fascinating. Although I love Inland Empire, so--
May 9, 2017 11:25 PM
0 0
Meow
Esoteric AllusionI'm trying hard to keep my expectations low so I won't be disappointed by it, but really, my expectations are through the roof.

Everything Lynch does is, at very least, fascinating. Although I love Inland Empire, so--

Inland Empire is tremendous. I really have no idea what it means--I can't put it together like Mulholland Dr. or Lost Highway--but it's riveting.
May 9, 2017 11:26 PM
0 0
NimChimpsky
Meow

Inland Empire is tremendous. I really have no idea what it means--I can't put it together like Mulholland Dr. or Lost Highway--but it's riveting.

(Potential Inland Empire Spoilers)
(Sorry, I don't get the white text option in my tablet), but I always took the gist of the plot to be: woman married Eastern European man, woman has affair, woman feels guilty and tells husband, he leaves (presumably angrily, unknown if he'll come back), woman, not knowing what to do, watches tv, and reflects on her affair, marriage, and what-have-you, while watching tv. The bulk of the movie is this reflection on her affair/etc while watching tv (and movies on tv), so it becomes a kind of image/tv show-association basis for the narrative. Oh, and in the end, the husband comes back.

Or are you talking about being able to put together the smaller details like you can sort of do with Mulholland Dr, but not so much with Inland?
May 10, 2017 3:00 AM
0 0
I stumbled across the production last year when they were shooting the on-location diner scenes. I'm very excited.
May 10, 2017 3:12 AM
0 0
Little Ash
NimChimpsky
Meow

(Potential Inland Empire Spoilers)
(Sorry, I don't get the white text option in my tablet), but I always took the gist of the plot to be: woman married Eastern European man, woman has affair, woman feels guilty and tells husband, he leaves (presumably angrily, unknown if he'll come back), woman, not knowing what to do, watches tv, and reflects on her affair, marriage, and what-have-you, while watching tv. The bulk of the movie is this reflection on her affair/etc while watching tv (and movies on tv), so it becomes a kind of image/tv show-association basis for the narrative. Oh, and in the end, the husband comes back.

Or are you talking about being able to put together the smaller details like you can sort of do with Mulholland Dr, but not so much with Inland?

Well, I never had much sense of the larger story, let alone details. I just found it, I guess, effective scene by scene and moment by moment.
May 10, 2017 3:37 AM
0 0
I'm going to give Inland Empire and Lost Highway a second chance. I'm expecting to regret it, but I'm going to do it for the forum, damnit.
May 10, 2017 4:58 AM
0 0