No GOTG 2 thread? A great movie.

Stu
Just got finished writing my review of it on Letterboxd; long review short, while its storytelling isn't as streamlined or down-to-Earth (so to speak) as the original, I still felt Vol. 2 was an ambitious, entertaining, and worthy follow-up to the original film, and.a welcome addition to Marvel's ever-expanding, er, galaxy of films.
May 20, 2017 6:13 AM
0 0
StuJust got finished writing my review of it on Letterboxd; long review short, while its storytelling isn't as streamlined or down-to-Earth (so to speak) as the original, I still felt Vol. 2 was an ambitious, entertaining, and worthy follow-up to the original film, and.a welcome addition to Marvel's ever-expanding, er, galaxy of films.

Nice review, Stu. I see a lot people harping on the golden people but I liked their inclusion for a couple reasons. One it shows us a new race of people with their own culture and mythology that expands this universe, and two they are the exact opposite of our heroes: humorless, pretentious, stiff, but work well in together, and it was fun seeing the dynamic of these two opposites bounce off each other.
May 20, 2017 5:46 PM
0 0
Robin McDonald
Bukama
Robin McDonaldI did have a disappointment that doesn't have to do with the film. I went back to the same theater I saw the first film in. Only this time it wasn't 3D.
This film was clearly meant to be seen in 3D. And it was diminished because it was in 2D just as if you had turned to color off. I was very aware I should be seeing earth and these environments in 3D. On some films you can see them either way.
This is not one of them.

I know some people don't like it or call it a gimmick. Ultimately it will be the default we want to see films in 3D exactly the same as we want to hear them in stereo. Maybe some people don't like to use the glasses and we will need another technology. But this film was made with 3D in mind. It wasn't just a
gimmick but an intented you experience fully these beautiful environments.

I loved the film - a really great time. ?And I may make it my first attempt to enjoy a 3D film in a long while. ?I'm partially color blind, and so far my experience with 3D films is not good - they give me a headache, and I don't like being forced to look at one part of the screen by blurring of the background (this was my experience with Avatar). ?But I recently got a green and a red contact lens. ?They help me see green and purple in the real world - I'm hoping I can wear them and skip the glasses. ?Just been waiting for a good movie to try it on. ?So you felt the 3D was top notch in GOTG2?

What about those color blind glasses they have now.Is that the same thing as your contacts?

I believe so - they are just primary color filters so that the colors I tend to miss stand out more. I see blue more strongly when it is mixed with other colors, so aqua tends to look just blue for me. So a green lens blocks blue (and unfortunately red) so I can see green better. I have a red lens too, but it tends to make me look like a zombie so I don't wear it much. But the red lens helps me see purple, for example, but blocks out green so I can't tell when the bottom light on a traffic signal is lit. Anyway, still sucks, but I can prepare for certain experiences (like botanic gardens) to enhance the experience.
May 22, 2017 3:43 PM
0 0
Rooby RooI'm hyped.

You're not allowed to watch it and I fucked your mother.
May 22, 2017 7:57 PM
0 0
I found the overall plot a bit weak, but it makes up for it with strong characters, which are far easier to care about than those of just about any other super hero movie.
May 23, 2017 12:04 AM
0 0
AxterixI found the overall plot a bit weak, but it makes up for it with strong characters, which are far easier to care about than those of just about any other super hero movie.

The overall plot, yes, but I thought that the subplots (in particular the sisters and Rocket's ongoing issues) were very strong and compelling.
May 23, 2017 12:14 AM
0 0
Stu
DeschainNice review, Stu. I see a lot people harping on the golden people but I liked their inclusion for a couple reasons. One it shows us a new race of people with their own culture and mythology that expands this universe, and two they are the exact opposite of our heroes: humorless, pretentious, stiff, but work well in together, and it was fun seeing the dynamic of these two opposites bounce off each other.

Danke Des And I'm all for expanding the universe of Guardians, and I like the idea of the golden people in both an aesthetic and a conceptual sense (y'know, a perfectionist race of aliens that are extremely easy to offend, often to the point of it being deadly for the offender), but they were still an overused distraction to the main events in Vol. 2's story nonetheless, and should've been used a lot less often. Still, that's just a nitpick, and they hardly ruined my enjoyment of the overall moviefilm.
May 23, 2017 1:58 AM
0 0
Bukama
Robin McDonald
Bukama
Robin McDonaldI did have a disappointment that doesn't have to do with the film. I went back to the same theater I saw the first film in. Only this time it wasn't 3D.
This film was clearly meant to be seen in 3D. And it was diminished because it was in 2D just as if you had turned to color off. I was very aware I should be seeing earth and these environments in 3D. On some films you can see them either way.
This is not one of them.

I know some people don't like it or call it a gimmick. Ultimately it will be the default we want to see films in 3D exactly the same as we want to hear them in stereo. Maybe some people don't like to use the glasses and we will need another technology. But this film was made with 3D in mind. It wasn't just a
gimmick but an intented you experience fully these beautiful environments.

I loved the film - a really great time. ?And I may make it my first attempt to enjoy a 3D film in a long while. ?I'm partially color blind, and so far my experience with 3D films is not good - they give me a headache, and I don't like being forced to look at one part of the screen by blurring of the background (this was my experience with Avatar). ?But I recently got a green and a red contact lens. ?They help me see green and purple in the real world - I'm hoping I can wear them and skip the glasses. ?Just been waiting for a good movie to try it on. ?So you felt the 3D was top notch in GOTG2?

What about those color blind glasses they have now.Is that the same thing as your contacts?

I believe so - they are just primary color filters so that the colors I tend to miss stand out more. I see blue more strongly when it is mixed with other colors, so aqua tends to look just blue for me. So a green lens blocks blue (and unfortunately red) so I can see green better. I have a red lens too, but it tends to make me look like a zombie so I don't wear it much. But the red lens helps me see purple, for example, but blocks out green so I can't tell when the bottom light on a traffic signal is lit. Anyway, still sucks, but I can prepare for certain experiences (like botanic gardens) to enhance the experience.

I've watched a zillion You Tube videos of people getting those glasses because they make me emotional. When you see the video it seems like they work for almost everybody. But I heard a stat they only work for about 20 percent or something.
May 23, 2017 2:47 AM
0 0
Anyone else have a mild issue with the way Gomorrah is written? It's not that she's written badly, but on a character level what is her defining trait? It's easy to draw iconic moments from the rest of the team, and even sub characters but what makes Gomorrah pop? Her plotlinr, despite having some good stuff in it is turned into the C-plot of the movie. She is split two ways, in that she has a plot involving her sister and she is coming to terms with her effection for Peter. That's enough meat for her to headline a movie, but it's packed away as bonus stuff. Would James Gunn have the capability as a writer to make her the primary character and plot line in the third movie?
May 23, 2017 3:26 AM
0 0
Stu
Evan SolomonAnyone else have a mild issue with the way Gomorrah is written? It's not that she's written badly, but on a character level what is her defining trait? It's easy to draw iconic moments from the rest of the team, and even sub characters but what makes Gomorrah pop? Her plotlinr, despite having some good stuff in it is turned into the C-plot of the movie. She is split two ways, in that she has a plot involving her sister and she is coming to terms with her effection for Peter. That's enough meat for her to headline a movie, but it's packed away as bonus stuff. Would James Gunn have the capability as a writer to make her the primary character and plot line in the third movie?

Nah, because she's supposed to be the relatively boring (but still badass) straightwoman to the rest of the Guardians, and she works fine so far as that. What I really want to see for "Vol. 3" is some actual background on who genetically engineered Rocket the way he is, and why, and have that figure into the main plot somehow.
May 23, 2017 2:17 PM
0 0
Evan SolomonAnyone else have a mild issue with the way Gomorrah is written? It's not that she's written badly, but on a character level what is her defining trait? It's easy to draw iconic moments from the rest of the team, and even sub characters but what makes Gomorrah pop? Her plotlinr, despite having some good stuff in it is turned into the C-plot of the movie. She is split two ways, in that she has a plot involving her sister and she is coming to terms with her effection for Peter. That's enough meat for her to headline a movie, but it's packed away as bonus stuff. Would James Gunn have the capability as a writer to make her the primary character and plot line in the third movie?

I think what you might be responding to is she's not one of the fun ones. She's the serious one. More about the business.. Her defining trait is her anger with her father, her family and her rebellious nature regarding that. She doesn't suffer fools well. She takes control, has a sense of duty and how things ought to be done. She doesn't want to be pinned down by anybody. Being green tends to make you stand out. Kind of what makes her pop is her striking physique. One of the things they worked hard on is for each character to have a distinct silhouette . Also she's the best and most agile hand to hand fighter. That's not what the others do.
May 23, 2017 6:32 PM
0 0
Evan SolomonAnyone else have a mild issue with the way Gomorrah is written? It's not that she's written badly, but on a character level what is her defining trait? It's easy to draw iconic moments from the rest of the team, and even sub characters but what makes Gomorrah pop??

To me her defining characteristic is that in order to survive, she has shut out a lot of things (ranging from what was being done to her own sister to the possibility of romance). I think that the fun and interesting part of her character is watching her maintain a balance between those serious, cold-blooded survival skills (skills that often help out the others) and discovering love and genuine family dynamics.
To a certain degree she is the ballast for a crew that is heavily skewed toward immature dudes with some serious impulse control. You need to have at least one responsible person on board, and she fulfills that role.
I liked that they shifted most of her plot time into the relationship with her sister. The whole "can the uptight gal relax and learn to love the rogueish dude?" plot is pretty overdone. She and Pratt have good enough chemistry that it doesn't rankle too badly, but it's nice to see her character move away from that cliched dynamic for a good chunk of the film.
May 23, 2017 11:50 PM
0 0
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 actually is better than Vol 1.

Would have loved to have seen it beat Aliens at the box office opening weekend vs Guardians third weekend.
May 26, 2017 4:58 AM
0 0
MesohornyGuardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 actually is better than Vol 1.

Would have loved to have seen it beat Aliens at the box office opening weekend vs Guardians third weekend.

I think it did, didn't it? I think last week it raked in something like another 40 mill...

"Edit"

Never mind, Covenant beat it by about 2 mill... Just checked the numbers.
May 26, 2017 4:33 PM
0 0
James MacKinnon
MesohornyGuardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 actually is better than Vol 1.

I think it did, didn't it? I think last week it raked in something like another 40 mill...

"Edit"

Never mind, Covenant beat it by about 2 mill... Just checked the numbers.

What's better than that is Guardians beating The Rock and Baywatch this weekend! A movie in its 4th week making more than the overexposed Rock makes me smile.
May 29, 2017 3:40 AM
0 0
Justice Is Served
What's better than that is Guardians beating The Rock and Baywatch this weekend! A movie in its 4th week making more than the overexposed Rock makes me smile.

Isn't Baywatch supposed to be an international guilty pleasure? It doesn't seem to have opened worldwide yet.
May 29, 2017 4:02 AM
0 0
No one is talking about it but was that young Kurt Russell not absolutely perfection?
It looked exactly like a young Kurt Russell. Totally convincing.

Great effects you don't notice.
I hope they win the Oscar.
May 29, 2017 5:19 AM
0 0
Robin McDonaldNo one is talking about it but was that young Kurt Russell not absolutely perfection?
It looked exactly like a young Kurt Russell. Totally convincing.

Great effects you don't notice.
I hope they win the Oscar.

Michael Douglas looked even better in Ant-Man and that movie had even cooler FX and didn't win the Oscar.

Overall, it's true that this sequel did top the first at least in terms of story and emotion.
Jun 15, 2017 2:58 AM
0 0
I saw it again this afternoon and it convinced me that Michael Rooker may have given the best performance in a Marvel movie.? Don't laugh, but do you think Yondu "Mary Poppins" Udonta has a sure shot at an Academy award nomination for Best Supporting Actor?
Jun 26, 2017 2:56 AM
0 0
I've seen it twice now and it's just as good the second time around.

I think that's where Marvel's real strength is. Their movies have a great replay value. I think the only one that didn't really stand up the second viewing was Doctor Strange, and that had more to do with the first viewing totally blowing my mind in the theatre, going from that to my small screen at home was kinda a let down.

Jun 26, 2017 4:59 PM
0 0