No GOTG 2 thread? A great movie.

Original Poster
Better than the first. I loved the bold decision to make it less epic than the first so they can peel open the characters and examine them. It's that rare summer blockbuster that puts character over chaos. It also has the best Marvel villain since Loki.

"I'm Mary Poppins y'all".
May 7, 2017 9:45 PM
1 0

I thought you got raped and killed by refugees.

That's not a line from the movie, by the way - I just assumed Ben would have been raped and killed by refugees by now.

May 7, 2017 10:28 PM
0 0
Saw it Friday night. Overall I liked it a lot. It's funnier than the first and just about everything else is on par with the original. The exposition is still too clunky and obvious but there's much less of it.

Vague story spoilers below:

What I really liked was the lack of urgency in a big villain for most of the movie. Usually it's a big no-no for the characters to be unfocused and not have some urgent looming threat but it worked for this movie.
For most of the runtime the characters are split into a couple different groups just doing their own thing and having their own adventures and I loved that. It gave us more time with each of them as individuals instead of everyone clustered into a group bickering. Then in the third act the big bad and his plan to wipe out the universe is revealed and that's when everyone comes back together to fight. It was a very satisfying story structure that might not work for every movie but here it did.
May 7, 2017 11:04 PM
0 0
I have a fair amount to say about this movie, but I don't really have the time to get deep into it. I do think it is better than the first one and the lower T-Meter surprises me. I think critics are becoming more cynical. 82% ain't a bad score though. I don't like comparing sequels to The Empire Strikes Back as that has become a cliche, however there are some similarities here to take into account that film critics have kind of ignored if we're talking flaws. Both Empire and Vol. 2 are character driven films that deepen and expand what we know about the world and have terrible plots. The plot is the main criticism of this movie, but when you look at some of the most beloved sequels they all follow this kind of format. The main plot of Empire is spurred by the fact that the Falcon's hyperdrive is broken. In contrast, Vol. 2's plot is actually stronger and avoids the bloat of movies like Spider-Man 2, Age of Ultron, and Dead Man's Chest. Every character moment has a function and a pay off. If I do have one criticism it's how Gunn pushes certain jokes too far, like Taser-Face and David Hasselhoff (though shockingly the latter has payoff).
May 7, 2017 11:06 PM
0 0
Is it better than Logan. Cause Logan is the best film I've seen all year, drama and superhero combined.
May 7, 2017 11:42 PM
0 0
Black PhilipIs it better than Logan. Cause Logan is the best film I've seen all year, drama and superhero combined.

It is very nearly the equal of the first GotG (itself around the same qualitative level as Logan), so this question is a tough one. I wouldn't say it is better, but whichever side of the fence it falls on, it's close.
May 8, 2017 12:02 AM
0 0

Spoilers: in the post-credits sequence Ben Organa is revealed to actually be Justin Bieber with a neckbeard and stained sweatpants. He puts a Tribble in his shorts and moans loudly while Howard the Duck throws bricks at him.

May 8, 2017 12:14 AM
0 0
Death Proof
Spoilers: in the post-credits sequence Ben Organa is revealed to actually be Justin Bieber with a neckbeard and stained sweatpants. He puts a Tribble in his shorts and moans loudly while Howard the Duck throws bricks at him.

All of these things happen in the movie actually, but separately.
May 8, 2017 12:50 AM
0 0
Black PhilipIs it better than Logan. Cause Logan is the best film I've seen all year, drama and superhero combined.

I loved certain aspects of Logan, but overall I'd say Guardians Vol 2 is better.

I absolutely loved this movie. Took the whole family and everyone really enjoyed it.

The critics were kind of bang on though. The movie is a lot of "filler" in the sense that it doesn't really do anything to advance the "main" Marvel storyline. It's just the Guardians running around blowing stuff up and having a ball. Drax is quite possibly the funniest character ever. Some of his lines are just so damn good. Very quotable movie.

I loved all of it. Would give it an 8.5-9 / 10.

A must see for any Marvel fan or anyone who enjoys a good scifi adventure flick!
May 8, 2017 2:14 AM
1 0
Ben OrganaBetter than the first. I loved the bold decision to make it less epic than the first so they can peel open the characters and examine them. It's that rare summer blockbuster that puts character over chaos. It also has the best Marvel villain since Loki.

So agree. Since I wasn't ultra-crazy for the first film I'm kind of stunned at how much I enjoyed Volume 2.

It's has a MUCH better story and development over Volume 1.

I honestly enjoyed this movie more than Deadpool and even rate it higher than other MCU movies like Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Dark World which I thought were also damn good.
May 8, 2017 7:11 PM
0 0
cspazz
Ben OrganaBetter than the first. I loved the bold decision to make it less epic than the first so they can peel open the characters and examine them. It's that rare summer blockbuster that puts character over chaos. It also has the best Marvel villain since Loki.

So agree. Since I wasn't ultra-crazy for the first film I'm kind of stunned at how much I enjoyed Volume 2.

It's has a MUCH better story and development over Volume 1.

I honestly enjoyed this movie more than Deadpool and even rate it higher than other MCU movies like Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Dark World which I thought were also damn good.

Agreed. My wife commented that she enjoyed it more than the first one. Love everything about this movie!
May 8, 2017 8:01 PM
0 0
Great? Nah. Pretty good? Yeah. There's just way way WAY to much schtick this time around. The first one balanced the action and comedy a lot more deftly. Vol 2 just keeps beating us mercilessly with attempts at humor that are mostly mildly amusing, a few are really funny but a few fall really flat. That being said, things do pick up and come somewhat together in the third act and everything involving Micheal Rooker/Yondu kicks ass.
May 8, 2017 11:08 PM
0 0
Old Bastard EdGreat? Nah. Pretty good? Yeah. There's just way way WAY to much schtick this time around. The first one balanced the action and comedy a lot more deftly. Vol 2 just keeps beating us mercilessly with attempts at humor that are mostly mildly amusing, a few are really funny but a few fall really flat. That being said, things do pick up and come somewhat together in the third act and everything involving Micheal Rooker/Yondu kicks ass.

For I am Taserface!
May 8, 2017 11:53 PM
0 0
DeschainSaw it Friday night. Overall I liked it a lot. It's funnier than the first and just about everything else is on par with the original. The exposition is still too clunky and obvious but there's much less of it.

Vague story spoilers below:

What I really liked was the lack of urgency in a big villain for most of the movie. Usually it's a big no-no for the characters to be unfocused and not have some urgent looming threat but it worked for this movie.
For most of the runtime the characters are split into a couple different groups just doing their own thing and having their own adventures and I loved that. It gave us more time with each of them as individuals instead of everyone clustered into a group bickering. Then in the third act the big bad and his plan to wipe out the universe is revealed and that's when everyone comes back together to fight. It was a very satisfying story structure that might not work for every movie but here it did.

Yup. Agree with all the things you have said.
I would add one more thing but it's pretty seriously spoilery, I think, so y'all let me know when the statute of limitations in the reaction thread has run so we can start spoiling.
May 9, 2017 12:53 AM
0 0
If this was 2014, we would be on page 14 by now. There is no Statute of Limirations. This forum is dead.
May 9, 2017 1:11 AM
0 0
A lot more man-child therapy than I was expecting, although it's increasingly clear that this is one of the more consistent themes in the Marvel Universe (ie, superhero films in general - ask why Zack Snyder's father never hugged him...)

That in itself isn't so bad, but I think I'm pretty much over Pratt. My tolerance for 30 year olds who still act like 12 year olds has dwindled considerably since the heyday of Tom Hanks' man-child pioneering. I hate to say it, but Pratt is veering closer to Judge Reinhold territory.

The only real regret that I had watching the film was the realization that Ready Player One is still coming out, and that tome of emotionally arrested nostalgia is pretty much the epitome of all of this, and I fear that it will star Chris Pratt and be a huge success and will galvanize some plotless stream of wet thumbsucking and the 'memberberry mafia will have the final triumph on our increasingly limited branded imaginations. Like our imaginations are still sealed in mylar, unscathed by play and pristinely virgin, allegedly valuable in very impractical ways.

7.5/10
May 9, 2017 1:12 AM
0 0
I am sorry that you hate grown ups who have retained some childlike sense wonder and optimism, refusing to let life beat them down to boring old cunts.
May 9, 2017 1:22 AM
0 0
Ben OrganaI am sorry that you hate grown ups who have retained some childlike sense wonder and optimism, refusing to let life beat them down to boring old cunts.

Too late, I'm already a boring old cunt.
May 9, 2017 1:33 AM
0 0
Ben OrganaI am sorry that you hate grown ups who have retained some childlike sense wonder and optimism, refusing to let life beat them down to boring old cunts.

Oh is this for me?

"Wonder and optimism"? No, no it's really just the whiny thumbsucking. And the tantrums, but I appreciate the demonstration.
May 9, 2017 1:37 AM
0 0

Nope - just a miserable prick like you.

May 9, 2017 1:38 AM
0 0