The Simpsons debuted 30 years ago today

MaxRennSeason 11 has some real crap, but it gave us Treehouse of Horror X, Pygmoelian, the episode where Barney gets sober and Behind the Laughter, so I give it a passing grade.

I also liked "Beyond Blunderdome" and "Bart to the Future".

I think that "good" is a reasonable grade for the season, and that it was the last "good" season. I don't think that anyone is under the impression that the classic era extended past 1997.
Apr 20, 2017 3:53 PM
0 0
Simpsons season 11 is why we have Donald Trump.
Apr 20, 2017 6:56 PM
0 0
There were tiny little cracks appearing in season 6 (Bart vs. Australia, while not a bad episode, was a portent of things to come), but I'd still put it down as great. I'd peg 3-5 as their peak, but I wouldn't argue hard against including season 2.
Apr 20, 2017 6:59 PM
0 0
kgaardSimpsons season 11 is why we have Donald Trump.

This is a Family Guy season 11 worthy joke.
Apr 20, 2017 8:47 PM
0 0
TheZapperSo what was the episode when you knew it was over?? Poochie?? Homer joins the navy?

When they went from spoofing New Kids on the Block to having the backstreet boys making guest appearances.
Apr 20, 2017 11:48 PM
0 0
I haven't seen a good episode since Day of Future Future or something like that.
Apr 21, 2017 12:21 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
kgaardSimpsons season 11 is why we have Donald Trump.

This is a Family Guy season 11 worthy joke.

Apr 21, 2017 2:15 AM
0 0
Received my Seasons yesterday and have been on a marathon. Season 1 seems much better than I remember even with the animation being what it is even though it seems to improve greatly halfway through the season. The last episode seems to be the one I didn't care much for. Halfway through season 2 and I'm starting to remember a few episodes I watched on TV so long ago which I assume on reruns now they're on a much later season. Marge seems to be my favorite Simpson so far.
Apr 22, 2017 11:08 PM
0 0
Season 3 continues the upward trend. It's a little more goofier than I was thinking. I can see where Family Guy got their humor. Just started Season 4 today and both episodes have been pretty great.
Apr 29, 2017 4:33 AM
0 0
Season 4 is probably the best thus far. The show seems to be getting more crazy as it goes on.
May 5, 2017 2:24 AM
0 0
Stu
Quite-Gone GenieI still think "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" would have made a good series finale.

What about "Behind The Laughter"?

There is no excuse for any episode that follows Saddlesore Galactica. Combined with Alone Again, Natura-Diddly, that whole season is a real atrocity. The series was dead from that point forward.
May 5, 2017 2:32 AM
0 0
As far as I'm concerned, the show is still one of the better ones of its kind on television - comparatively speaking, at least. It has had many highs and lows and isn't as simple as a point wherein the entire show just 'stopped being good' I freely admit a small bias, as the Tracy Ullman shorts debuted the year I was born and the show has grown along side me my whole life. However, since the OP is basically asking which seasons were the good ones and which weren't, here's how I see it:

Season 1 (Hilarious but rough around the edges; a good season with promise)
Seasons 2 - 5 (Many of the best jokes and gags from any era of The Simpsons come from here; comedy gold)
Seasons 6 - 8 (For me, this is the best the show has ever been; a perfect balance between satire, emotional weight and comedy)
Seasons 9 - 11 (For some reason, the writers decided to take the show in more abstract routes here - much of it working well; great for bizarre and/or topical humor, not so awesome for emotional impact)
Seasons 12 - 15 (This is it - the lull; a large amount of surprisingly boring episodes with weak punchlines and wandering plots; also mired in gag repetition)
Seasons 16 - 21 (The episodes pick up again here; very funny political and topical humor; more creativity in actual animation than had been seen in awhile)
Seasons 22 - 28/present (The show has leveled off in recent years; reliable laughs here and there, but usually nothing special; stronger emphasis on plot, resulting in a few surprisingly moving moments)

For a show that has done just about everything and is somehow still around 30 years after it began, it has held up much better than is popular to posit, but again, I have that annoying little naggy bias, so maybe it does suck. But I'd like to think (hope, anyway) I'm smart enough to recognize and appreciate a good, well-timed joke, and sigh at a tired one, and The Simpsons still has the good stuff. Not like before, that's true. But it's still there.
May 5, 2017 2:52 AM
0 0
BobHarrisShorts on the Tracy Ullman Show.?

I remember, who'd a thunk that a bad animated skit filler would turn into a legendary series.
May 5, 2017 5:18 AM
0 0
BadLieutenant
Stu
Quite-Gone GenieI still think "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" would have made a good series finale.

There is no excuse for any episode that follows Saddlesore Galactica. Combined with Alone Again, Natura-Diddly, that whole season is a real atrocity. The series was dead from that point forward.

Holy shit, didn't even realize that's the season that had those two and "Bart to the Future" and "Missionary Impossible"... and I'd forgotten about the Kid Rock episode.

Wow. That's a perfect storm of terrible.
May 5, 2017 5:33 AM
0 0
One of the best things about this show is that they're never afraid to take jabs at the FOX network, on which it airs. They even took shots at some of the network's sister operations such as its namesake movie studio (20th Century Fox), as well as the Fox News Channel. Take a look at this clip if you know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqO-9iNmqkA
May 6, 2017 1:15 AM
0 0
DaMU
BadLieutenant
Stu

Holy shit, didn't even realize that's the season that had those two and "Bart to the Future" and "Missionary Impossible"... and I'd forgotten about the Kid Rock episode.

Wow. That's a perfect storm of terrible.

Yeah. As a diehard fan up until that season, I couldn't help but recognize there had been something of a decline in quality in the years leading up to it. It's arguable when the decline started, but I think it's much easier to say when the show flat-out stopped working. It's season 11, and Mike Scully is history's greatest monster (after Jimmy Carter, of course).
May 6, 2017 1:35 AM
0 0
I guess the best question I have at this point is, Nick Riveria or Snake Jailbird?
May 6, 2017 4:08 AM
0 0
If I had to pinpoint a single episode that killed the show for me, it would be The Joy of Sect.Most of season 9 had been lame and stale up to that point but having to watch Homer yell out, "Out of my way, jerkass!" for no reason at all made me die a little inside. It didn't even remotely resemble the show that I had fallen in love with. For some reason I stayed with the show until season 12, just utterly amazed at the garbage unfolding on-screen. Can I say that Trilogy of Error is just as awful as the rest of that season?
May 6, 2017 5:23 AM
0 0
TheZapperSo what was the episode when you knew it was over?? Poochie?? Homer joins the navy?

It was when Phil Hartman become one with the Force. Poochie was a harbinger of things to come, a warning for the show to not be THAT SHOW, and it ended up doing so anyway. It "neutered the Poochie" (TM).
May 6, 2017 9:15 AM
0 0
GarmarnaNostalgia

Go fuck yourself.

May 6, 2017 2:44 PM
0 0