So about the new season of MST3K

DaMU
DeschainJust finished Cry Wilderness. Definitely one of the most consistently funny episodes of the show.

"Mystery voice, when are you gonna learn to chill?"

It's like someone was inspired by Boggy Creek II: The Legened Contineus to make their own incoherent Bigfoot movie.

The Sasquatch was speaking in perfect unbroken English, what the fuck. I was also getting vibes of Pod People with the bizarre match of Spielberg-chasing whimsy and survival drama. And it only took two episodes for them to find the first great running gag of this season - BANG!

If you're referring to the early moment at the boarding school, that's somehow the least weird thing about that scene. How did Bigfoot know where to find the kid? How did he get there without anyone seeing? How come none of the other kids heard the voice? You never even see Bigfoot so I thought they had a telepathic connection or something. But it was never addressed again so whatever.
Apr 16, 2017 3:30 PM
0 0
Time Travelers episode was fun, and not that bad of a movie by MST3K standards, especially the nifty in-camera effects. But the bots made it a breeze to get through, buffing it up with the Danny jokes.
Apr 17, 2017 4:50 AM
0 0
I'm about 60% through Cry Wilderness, and goddamn it's a great one.

Bang!
Apr 17, 2017 11:09 AM
0 0
The kid's nonsense backstory about hanging out with Bigfoot gave me the impression that this was a sequel to something. I sorta wish the filmmakers had focused all the farting around and stock nature footage into a movie about a kid drinking Coke with Bigfoot.
Apr 17, 2017 4:41 PM
0 0
I finished Cry Wilderness on Easter Sunday. So officially my first complete MST3K.
I got a big laugh when the kid was talking to Red Hawk a dead indian.
Red Hawk says I was buried in a cave behind a rock, but I got out.
the riffed "Happy Easter to you."
Apr 17, 2017 9:16 PM
0 0
Apr 17, 2017 9:17 PM
0 0
Just finished Avalanche. The riffs started slow but had me rolling by the end. Took way too long for that avalanche to hit.
Apr 18, 2017 5:32 AM
0 0
DeschainJust finished Avalanche. The riffs started slow but had me rolling by the end. Took way too long for that avalanche to hit.

Could you say that that episode gained momentum?
Apr 19, 2017 4:30 AM
0 0
Stu
I tried watching Cry Wilderness, and I laughed at it some of the gags, but in general, the riffs were too quantity over quality, with too many of them being rushed out one after another without being given a chance to breath, or for the chemistry of the new riffers to form properly. With my favorite era of the show, the Sci-Fi Channel era, it struck what I felt was a great balance between plentiful, funny riffs, while also feeling like Mike & The Bots really were good friends who were having a great time watching and mocking these movies together. This Netflix episode, despite the changes in voices, might as well have been riffed by just one person exclusively for how well this new cast melds with each other.
Apr 19, 2017 4:59 AM
0 0
The Beast of Hollow Mountain, another movie where the thing in the title doesn't happen until way too late. Real fun host segments, especially the Mexican fashion show. And a bunch of callbacks to older MST3Ks, including Touch of Satan!
Apr 19, 2017 5:20 AM
0 0
StuI tried watching Cry Wilderness, and I laughed at it some of the gags, but in general, the riffs were too quantity over quality, with too many of them being rushed out one after another without being given a chance to breath, or for the chemistry of the new riffers to form properly. With my favorite era of the show, the Sci-Fi Channel era, it struck what I felt was a great balance between plentiful, funny riffs, while also feeling like Mike & The Bots really were good friends who were having a great time watching and mocking these movies together. This Netflix episode, despite the changes in voices, might as well have been riffed by just one person exclusively for how well this new cast melds with each other.

It's their second episode. So of course they're not going have as good a chemistry as the Sci-Fi Channel era cast who were working together for almost a decade at that point. Let them settle into their roles and find their voice.
Apr 19, 2017 5:47 AM
0 0
DeschainThe Beast of Hollow Mountain, another movie where the thing in the title doesn't happen until way too late. Real fun host segments, especially the Mexican fashion show. And a bunch of callbacks to older MST3Ks, including Touch of Satan!

Say what you want about Beast, but there is an intangible quality to it that Ames it watchable and it is the perfect kind of movie for MST3K to do. It has this innocence and inoffensive quality that meshes well with it's dated naive aesthetic. It is simultaneously the best possible B-movie in that the film is a genuine attempt at quality. It hardens back to classic Joel Era episodes like The Magic Sword, The Black Scorpion, or The Painted Hills.

Warriors of the Lost Kingdom however, holy shit. Get ready for that movie. Wow.
Apr 19, 2017 5:49 AM
0 0
MST3K is a tragic show in a way because when you look at the wide range of films they have covered you see a fascinatingly diverse catalogue filled with bizarre films from all OVER the world, some of these films being hidden gems or so wholly unique. These films then become immortalized by the program, but given the nature of the program some of these episodes will be lost due to liscensing. Some episodes will only be accessible through Backdoor methods and will not have had adequate preservation. No other program I can think of presents such a wide array of bizarre entertainment. The show then takes its bizarre films and creates its own mythos an appropriates those weird characters and ideas into their own consistent universe.

An MST3K convention would be so choice. Think of all the cosplay.
Apr 19, 2017 5:58 AM
0 0
Just watched Starcrash. Never in my life have I let out so many exasperated, "Oh my God"s for one movie.
Apr 20, 2017 5:50 AM
0 0
Evan SolomonMST3K is a tragic show in a way because when you look at the wide range of films they have covered you see a fascinatingly diverse catalogue filled with bizarre films from all OVER the world, some of these films being hidden gems or so wholly unique. These films then become immortalized by the program, but given the nature of the program some of these episodes will be lost due to liscensing. Some episodes will only be accessible through Backdoor methods and will not have had adequate preservation. No other program I can think of presents such a wide array of bizarre entertainment. The show then takes its bizarre films and creates its own mythos an appropriates those weird characters and ideas into their own consistent universe.

An MST3K convention would be so choice. Think of all the cosplay.

Absolutely; for all the jokes they make, they're essentially curators of strange and sometimes bewilderingly wonderful (bad) movies that would otherwise be lost to history. It's because of MST3K that characters like Mr. B. Natural, Torgo, Zap Rowsdower, Trumpy, Kalgan, etc. actually achieved some measure of notoriety. The world's a better place with their presence.
Apr 20, 2017 6:16 AM
0 0
I have a QUESTION? Does it matter what order I watch this in? Or is it the same as in the past, meaning I can jump right into whatever and enjoy.
Apr 20, 2017 10:12 AM
0 0
Abbie AnayaI have a QUESTION? Does it matter what order I watch this in? Or is it the same as in the past, meaning I can jump right into whatever and enjoy.

The first one has an extended scene at the beginning showing Jonah getting captured by the Mads but that's covered in the opening song to each episode anyway. There's a couple little jokes and nods to previous episodes but otherwise you don't really need to watch them in order.
Apr 20, 2017 3:21 PM
0 0
Apr 20, 2017 3:36 PM
0 0
Land That Time Forogt was loads of fun. Doug McClure jokes abound!
Apr 21, 2017 5:37 AM
0 0
The Loves of Hercules is easily the weakest one so far but the Hydra scene and the title character's Italian accent make it worthwhile.

"The Herc abides..."
Apr 22, 2017 4:52 AM
0 0