So about the new season of MST3K

Original Poster
It's up on Netflix and while the movie selection is among the strongest it's ever been, I'm a little put off by the pace of the riffing. They actually have good riffs but the pace is so quick that they aren't given time to breath or feel rushed out or are running into one another. Granted I'm only a third of the way through the first episode, so maybe things improve.

The opening sequence felt VERY try-hard and over zealous, but the musical number was great and the door sequence was good. First skit was great, but I don't like Gypsy's character change.

Opinions?
Apr 14, 2017 7:53 AM
0 0
I would like to reiterate that the movie selection is excellent, featuring films like The Land that Time Forgot and Starcrash, and these films are presented in HD and widescreen, thus ironically making it one of the best ways to watch these lost films. If anything, their movie selection is too good, and leaves little room for unknowns like Final Sacrifice. I definitely hope for thw pacing of the show overalll slows down and gets that famial feel back. Needs recurring jokes in the riffing to be as successful.
Apr 14, 2017 7:57 AM
0 0
This second episode is actually pretty great.
Apr 14, 2017 9:46 AM
0 0
My wife and I are going to check an episode out tonight.

As much as I love Rifftrax, nostalgia has me geeked about new MST3K. Many a Saturday was wasted in front of the TV watching Joel and the bots.
Apr 14, 2017 11:58 AM
0 0
Been really looking forward to this.Starting tonight probably be watching one episode a day. Considering how strong their writers are this season I'm expecting great things.
Apr 14, 2017 2:45 PM
0 0
Evan SolomonIt's up on Netflix and while the movie selection is among the strongest it's ever been, I'm a little put off by the pace of the riffing. They actually have good riffs but the pace is so quick that they aren't given time to breath or feel rushed out or are running into one another. Granted I'm only a third of the way through the first episode, so maybe things improve.

The opening sequence felt VERY try-hard and over zealous, but the musical number was great and the door sequence was good. First skit was great, but I don't like Gypsy's character change.

Opinions?

The riffs are a little manic in the first episode (haven't finished it yet, about where you are), but yeah, the monster rap is a blast, and I laughed out loud quite a few times already ("Unsober," "Bones / Jim / Fossil Bones / Fossil Jim," "It's 20 degrees!!!").
I hear the second episode ("Cry Wilderness") is a standout.
Apr 14, 2017 3:37 PM
0 0
You can get Starcrash on youtube. I like MS3TK but I prefer watching these movies without it and just laughing at the ludicrous displays.
Apr 14, 2017 4:22 PM
0 0
Black PhilipYou can get Starcrash on youtube. I like MS3TK but I prefer watching these movies without it and just laughing at the ludicrous displays.

Starcrash is definitely a hilarious film all on its own, no riffing required. Imperial Battleship, Halt the flow of time!
Apr 14, 2017 5:47 PM
0 0
I was never a fan I am embarassed to say. After watching the intro skit I get bored quickly when the bad film starts. Ive never
seen more than twenty minutes of an episodeBut I was quite excited to see the new episodes because I like Felicia Day and was impressed Patton Oswalt joined the crew.
I won't have a lot to compare and contrast to so maybe I won't be upset with the changes.
Apr 15, 2017 12:28 AM
0 0
If that was Christina Applegate at the beginning of the show (and I am not at all sure it is) she's become an interesting looking older woman.
Apr 15, 2017 12:40 AM
0 0
Hah! Best riff I've heard so far in Reptilicus...(spoilers)..."Admit it-- we're bad at this."
Apr 15, 2017 1:36 AM
0 0
Just finished Reptilicus. Gold, Jerry, gold!
Apr 15, 2017 4:55 AM
0 0
I haven't watched it yet, but Patton Oswalt seems perfect for a MST3K villain. There was an article about the new season on RT's homepage. It mentioned the cast and crew feeling like modern audiences are used to faster jokes, which sounds like it messed with the show's original tone.
Apr 15, 2017 7:40 AM
0 0
Obi SpenobiI haven't watched it yet, but Patton Oswalt seems perfect for a MST3K villain. There was an article about the new season on RT's homepage. It mentioned the cast and crew feeling like modern audiences are used to faster jokes, which sounds like it messed with the show's original tone.

It's really only the first episode where it feels "manic" as Damu so perfectly put it. The following episodes are pretty good. Cry of the Wilderness is one of the best episodes the show has ever had. Time Travelers feels like a blander season 3 or 4 episode, but decent enough. Land That Time Forgot suffers from an incomplete cut, and the quality of the film overshadows the riffing. It's a very difficult film to fight with as there is very little wrong with it. Starcrash is way too insane of a movie and also overshadows the hosts because it's so bonkers and without stakes that it becomes self sufficient as an entertainment vehicle. The riffing can't add any more to the madness, unlike a comparable film like Space Mutiny. If there is a season 12 they need more Cry of the Wildernesses and less At the Earth's Cores. Some of these movies are just too big. 8 episodes in and it is still stronger than season 1, 2, and 7. Maybe 6 too. The movies could definitely stand to be weirder. I hope it improves.
Apr 15, 2017 8:09 AM
0 0
While our new team of riffers speak faster when telling the jokes I didn't find it a problem or consider it too manic. I thought it was going to be like the 2 minute Sttranger Things video where they were almost talking over each other with the riffs.

My biggest problem after watching the first episode (and it's not even that big a problem more a nitpick) is the sillouettes are too small. I'm guessing they did this so you could see more of the movie but it makes seeing their gestures when riffing more difficult.
Apr 15, 2017 5:06 PM
0 0
I made it through 3/4 of the first episode. I liked it. I didn't quit it out of boredom, but I started it kind of late and started nodding off.?

I don't find it too manic as far as joke pacing. I think it's just Joel's sleepy easygoing Wisconsin accent that slows the flow a bit.

I thought it was kid of novel that they mentioned that Tom could fly now...but only in the theater.

I'll be watching more, for sure.?
Apr 15, 2017 5:19 PM
0 0
So the woman I thought was Christina Applegate was Erin Grey of Buck Rogers. It makes more sense she would be a really interesting looking older woman.
On this thread's recommend I watched Cry the Wilderness. And I watched about an hour this time which is a record for me. For obvious reasons Felicia and Patton are
being featured in all the pictures but (so far) don't get a lot ?of time on screen. Understandable though.
Apr 15, 2017 6:07 PM
0 0
Just finished Cry Wilderness. Definitely one of the most consistently funny episodes of the show.

"Mystery voice, when are you gonna learn to chill?"

It's like someone was inspired by Boggy Creek II: The Legened Contineus to make their own incoherent Bigfoot movie.
Apr 16, 2017 5:12 AM
0 0
DeschainJust finished Cry Wilderness. Definitely one of the most consistently funny episodes of the show.

"Mystery voice, when are you gonna learn to chill?"

It's like someone was inspired by Boggy Creek II: The Legened Contineus to make their own incoherent Bigfoot movie.

The Sasquatch was speaking in perfect unbroken English, what the fuck. I was also getting vibes of Pod People with the bizarre match of Spielberg-chasing whimsy and survival drama. And it only took two episodes for them to find the first great running gag of this season - BANG!
Apr 16, 2017 5:45 AM
0 0
I feel like the entire reason Cry Wilderness exists is because somebody knew an animal trainer who also happened to have fostered an abandoned tiger.
Apr 16, 2017 7:23 AM
0 0