Has anyone tried Sling TV or Playstation Vue?

Original Poster
The Spenobi is curious about these streaming services.
Mar 20, 2017 4:43 PM
0 0
I have a 2nd TV I use solely for gaming and put PS Vue on there just to try it out - It was ok, the interface was a little clunky and @ 50 bucks a month to subscribe, it'd be cheaper to just add another cable box.

My old boss had a sling TV. The only advantage to that is you have all your TV shows accessible from anywhere on the go.
Mar 20, 2017 5:52 PM
0 0
Sling's okay, but since there's no widely available DVR abilities one is stuck having to watch everything when it airs. I love my DVR, so there's no way Sling would work at the moment.
Mar 20, 2017 8:32 PM
0 0
I did Sling TV trial twice. Its better if you are into sports which I am not. I don't see where its a good deal for the price?
since you can add the channels to your cable package for not a lot more than Sling charges.
Mar 20, 2017 9:28 PM
0 0
I own a FireTV box and I just checked reviews for the Playstation Vue app.?
There seems to be a lot of feedback from people who have tried both systems and the concensus seems to be the Playstation Vue is much better.
It allows multiiple users in a household. Its better at recording your shows. For example if you set up to record a show it will
record all the subsequent weeks as well. But the base price is twice as much as Sling.
Mar 20, 2017 10:21 PM
0 0
Sounds like Vue is the way to go. I miss DVR, haven't had it in a long time. I've downloaded the trial before, but it gave me weird error messages about not being in the area/household? After giving it another shot it seems to be working but naturally wants credit card information. Does the trial charge you upfront? Or do you just have to know to cancel in in time before the trial ends?
Mar 21, 2017 2:26 AM
0 0
Well I used Amazon's Fire TV I pay for Hulu and share it with my ex roommate who pays for Neftlix and I split Amazon Prime with my current roommate.
He's got HBO GO I guess which we will use for ?Game of Thrones soon. ?It used to be an annoying useless app but Kodi is good for getting everything else?
I can't get for the other services. No need to record since literally everything is on demand.
Mar 21, 2017 7:12 AM
0 0
I have sling and really like it. I tried it back when it launched with a fire stick and it was a bad experience, very glitchy and slow to navigate the channels. I got one of the newer roku boxes, Roku Premiere+, for christmas and gave it another try and it has been much better, it basically functions like a good cable box. Almost every channel has on-demand shows and I know sling was beta testing a dvr service when directv now launched at the end of last year. I like that there are so many add-on packages, I have the movie add-on for $5 which includes TCM and some Epix channels. I will only have the sports add-on during college football season.

I never tried Playstation Vue because I didn't realize you can get it on other devices than a Playstation.
Mar 21, 2017 4:04 PM
0 0
Robin McDonaldI did Sling TV trial twice. Its better if you are into sports which I am not. I don't see where its a good deal for the price?
since you can add the channels to your cable package for not a lot more than Sling charges.

How is it better if you are into sports? I was actually going to say the opposite, it's better if you're not into sports because a couple of the networks were only available as on-demand channels in my area. So any sports on those networks you were pretty much out of luck.
I do agree, that the set-up is so similar to the cable company, I don't understand how it's an effective alternative. ?If somebody was able to come up with a streaming system that had a true a la carte system for channels I could see it being hugely popular, but the way it is I just don't see the appeal.
Mar 21, 2017 6:01 PM
0 0
Colonel Mortimer
Robin McDonaldI did Sling TV trial twice. Its better if you are into sports which I am not. I don't see where its a good deal for the price?

How is it better if you are into sports? I was actually going to say the opposite, it's better if you're not into sports because a couple of the networks were only available as on-demand channels in my area. So any sports on those networks you were pretty much out of luck.
I do agree, that the set-up is so similar to the cable company, I don't understand how it's an effective alternative. ?If somebody was able to come up with a streaming system that had a true a la carte system for channels I could see it being hugely popular, but the way it is I just don't see the appeal.

Sling has ?about four ESPN channels and probably some other sports stuff. The cable channels it offered had limited appeal.
It just didn't feel like enough channels. If it had the three news channels CSPAN AMC TCM FX USA Nick Disney Sci Fi Comedy Central and then a handful of random stuff like History, Discovery, one of the ladies channels Like Hallmark or Lifetime.?That might feel like I had a cable substitute

?But between Hulu Netflix and Prime and all the channel apps I can get on my Fire TV I am plenty entertained. I always seem to be able to borrow HBO GO during Game of Thrones season.
Two months of HBO Go gets me caught up on all the HBO I need to see until next year.

Mar 22, 2017 6:50 AM
0 0