Is there a more hot/cold director than Ridley Scott?

Mar 20, 2017 6:57 PM
0 0
DaMU
David Bailey

- Gladiator -- 8/10
- Blade Runner -- 7/10
- Alien -- 6/10

>:|

I'm fine with his Blade Runner rating. As for the other 2 though:
Mar 20, 2017 6:59 PM
0 0
Legend is an underappreciated masterpiece, or at least the director's cut is. It's an absolutely beautiful love letter to fairy tales, and Tim Curry is phenomenal. I love it almost as much as Blade Runner
Mar 20, 2017 7:10 PM
0 0
MKS
Robin McDonald
MKS
Robin McDonald
BadLieutenantOff the top of my head, Woody Allen and Clint Eastwood, especially in the present day. The pace of their output and the fact that they're both at the stage of their careers where, professionally at least, they have nothing left to prove I think combines into a real crap shoot of quality. And the late-career hits (Midnight in Paris, Sully) generally seem to pave over memories of the truly dreadful ones (The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Hereafter).

I'd add De Palma to the list, but he seems to fit more into the category of directors who have simply lost their touch altogether (see also Francis Ford Coppola, Oliver Stone, John Landis, et al.). Femme Fatale was probably his last gasp, and that was 15 years ago.

Woody Allen has always blown hot and cold because he is so prolific. But I think Midnight in Paris is magical and funny and one of Allen's very best. Matchpoint was also well received. I happened to like Vicky ...Barcelona. ?But Whatever Happens and Cafe Society are friggen awful. ?So he fits. Eastwood still has a steady hand but think his peak was about 2003 to 2008. But does he make totally unwatchable films? ?I skip the ones that are supposedly mediocre so I don't know.I really liked Cafe Society a lot. Agreed on Whatever Happens. Larry David was abysmal and should only act in Curb

I am willing to concede on Cafe Society being good. I couldn't get through the first episode.

I think you're confusing it with a Crisis in 6 Scenes, which was terrible. That's the Amazon series he did. Cafe Society was the Amazon film he made and I think it's close to great.

You nailed it. Crisis in 6 scenes was what I was thinking of. I have Amazon TV when I saw Woody Allen and Cafe Society on there this week I just thought it was the same thing I hated.
Mar 20, 2017 11:05 PM
0 0
Thelma & Louise is a classic.

PS - And Cafe Society sucked.
Mar 20, 2017 11:12 PM
0 0
MKS
Robin McDonald
MKS
Robin McDonald
MKS
Robin McDonald
BadLieutenantOff the top of my head, Woody Allen and Clint Eastwood, especially in the present day. The pace of their output and the fact that they're both at the stage of their careers where, professionally at least, they have nothing left to prove I think combines into a real crap shoot of quality. And the late-career hits (Midnight in Paris, Sully) generally seem to pave over memories of the truly dreadful ones (The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Hereafter).

I'd add De Palma to the list, but he seems to fit more into the category of directors who have simply lost their touch altogether (see also Francis Ford Coppola, Oliver Stone, John Landis, et al.). Femme Fatale was probably his last gasp, and that was 15 years ago.

Woody Allen has always blown hot and cold because he is so prolific. But I think Midnight in Paris is magical and funny and one of Allen's very best. Matchpoint was also well received. I happened to like Vicky ...Barcelona. ?But Whatever Happens and Cafe Society are friggen awful. ?So he fits. Eastwood still has a steady hand but think his peak was about 2003 to 2008. But does he make totally unwatchable films? ?I skip the ones that are supposedly mediocre so I don't know.I really liked Cafe Society a lot. Agreed on Whatever Happens. Larry David was abysmal and should only act in Curb

I am willing to concede on Cafe Society being good. I couldn't get through the first episode.

I think you're confusing it with a Crisis in 6 Scenes, which was terrible. That's the Amazon series he did. Cafe Society was the Amazon film he made and I think it's close to great.

You nailed it. Crisis in 6 scenes was what I was thinking of. I have Amazon TV when I saw Woody Allen and Cafe Society on there this week I just thought it was the same thing I hated.

It's hard to believe they came out the same year. Woody seems to recognize that the show was a failure and considered it doomed from the start. It's like someone did a really bad Allen rip off and all his quirks were at their most shallow and obnoxious.
Cafe Society is classic Allen and belongs alongside Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine as his recent best. I think it would have garnered more acclaim had it not come out the same year as La La Land.
Mar 20, 2017 11:12 PM
0 0
MKS
Black PhilipThelma & Louise is a classic.

Nah.
Mar 20, 2017 11:13 PM
0 0
MKS

Nah.

Woody's last 3-4 films have all been pretty bad. Those crappy ones he did with Emma Stone are among his worst to date.
Mar 20, 2017 11:14 PM
0 0
MKS
Black Philip
MKS

Nah.

Woody's last 3-4 films have all been pretty bad. Those crappy ones he did with Emma Stone are among his worst to date.

Blue Jasmine and Cafe Society are great. Magic in the Moonlight was flawed but minor and fine. Haven't seen Irrational Man. The only one that's been bad is his TV show. Before that, films like Whatever Works and To Rome with Love were far inferior.
Mar 20, 2017 11:23 PM
0 0
Irrational Man was a piece of shit and Magic in the Moonlight was feces. Cafe Society was boring as fuck.

PS - Woody's worst film is still Small Time Crooks. A waste of a talented cast and not one funny moment.
Mar 21, 2017 12:13 AM
0 0
MKS
Black PhilipIrrational Man was a piece of shit and Magic in the Moonlight was feces. Cafe Society was boring as fuck.

PS - Woody's worst film is still Small Time Crooks. A waste of a talented cast and not one funny moment.

Magic in the Moonlight was charming and light. Nothing more. Nothing less. I can't conceive of finding CS boring if you're an Allen fan. It's gorgeous, well acted, witty and thematically honest.
I don't remember Small Time Crooks but the film it's a remake of, Larceny Inc. Is a ton of fun.
Mar 21, 2017 1:41 AM
0 0
Cafe Society felt like Woody Allen paint-by-numbers. A complete waste of talent and time. The guy should retire.
Mar 21, 2017 1:45 AM
0 0
MKS
Black PhilipCafe Society felt like Woody Allen paint-by-numbers. A complete waste of talent and time. The guy should retire.

How?
Mar 21, 2017 1:50 AM
0 0
MKS
Black PhilipCafe Society felt like Woody Allen paint-by-numbers. A complete waste of talent and time. The guy should retire.

How?

It just felt so typical Woody, The Gangster bits felt lifted from Bullets Over Broadway and the Hollywood in a movie thing is overplayed. It's weird, while Woody is slacking, while Malick is making the best work of his career since Badlands.
Mar 21, 2017 2:43 AM
0 0
MKS
Black Philip
MKS

How?

It just felt so typical Woody, The Gangster bits felt lifted from Bullets Over Broadway and the Hollywood in a movie thing is overplayed. It's weird, while Woody is slacking, while Malick is making the best work of his career since Badlands.

I don't think Woody is slacking and I think Malick is consistently making great films as he's done since Badlands.
An ideosyncratic director following his ideosyncracies isn't a negative in my book. Plus one similar film to a subplot doesn't equate to "paint by numbers."
Mar 21, 2017 3:20 AM
0 0
Special Agent CooperLegend is an underappreciated masterpiece, or at least the director's cut is. It's an absolutely beautiful love letter to fairy tales, and Tim Curry is phenomenal. I love it almost as much as Blade Runner

Totally agree.

Legend is one of my favorite movies and is my favorite Ridley Scott movie. Tim Curry's Darkness is my favorite bad guy/evil guy of all time.
Mar 21, 2017 1:26 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Rated NCC-1701CAN'T REMEMBER IT, EVEN THOUGH, Y'KNOW, THE KIETEL AS AN ARISTOCRAT, SO THERE'S THAT/10?

Philistine.

Why yes, I am a Phyllis Diller fan. Luddite. Which I guess means a fan of the Ludivico method.
Mar 22, 2017 4:14 PM
0 0
I credit Blue Jasmine almost entirely to Cate Blanchett's superb performance. On paper, it really is just a nasty and almost cruel portrait of Mia Farrow, and its pettiness needs to be reckoned with.
Mar 22, 2017 6:37 PM
0 0
Rated NCC-1701
Janson Jinnistan
Rated NCC-1701CAN'T REMEMBER IT, EVEN THOUGH, Y'KNOW, THE KIETEL AS AN ARISTOCRAT, SO THERE'S THAT/10?

Philistine.

Why yes, I am a Phyllis Diller fan. ?Luddite. ?Which I guess means a fan of the Ludivico method.

"They fixed me, all right."
Mar 22, 2017 7:27 PM
0 0
MKS
Janson JinnistanI credit Blue Jasmine almost entirely to Cate Blanchett's superb performance. ?On paper, it really is just a nasty and almost cruel portrait of Mia Farrow, and its pettiness needs to be reckoned with.

How is it that and not an updated version of Streetcar?
Mar 22, 2017 9:20 PM
0 0