Anybody within the RottenTomatoes community really dislike the Fast and the Furious Franchise?!

Original Poster
I cant stand the Fast and the Furious movies, especially the new ones. But critics apparently seem to like it enough to recommend it to people.. https://youtu.be/GcLR6jrHXSU
Mar 18, 2017 4:34 PM
0 0
I never watched them, always dismissing them as dumb musclehead car movies but more and more people whose opinion I respect like them if only for the crazy stunts and action, so I may give them a shot eventually.
Mar 18, 2017 4:52 PM
0 0
I'm more interested now than ever. From what I can remember the first movie was just about street racing. How did it escalate into The Rock blowing shit up with tanks?
Mar 18, 2017 4:53 PM
0 0
Obi SpenobiI'm more interested now than ever. From what I can remember the first movie was just about street racing. How did it escalate into The Rock blowing shit up with tanks?

haha I mean the action has just gotten so unbelievable and batshit that I guess critics just lowered their standards.... It just seems odd that RT critics would praise and recommend the new Fast and Furious movies but still trash on transformers movies...
Mar 18, 2017 4:57 PM
0 0
Carlos Diaz
Obi SpenobiI'm more interested now than ever. From what I can remember the first movie was just about street racing. How did it escalate into The Rock blowing shit up with tanks?

haha I mean the action has just gotten so unbelievable and batshit that I guess critics just lowered their standards.... It just seems odd that RT critics would praise and recommend the new Fast and Furious movies but still trash on transformers movies...

Any critic worth their salt should be aware that not all films aim for profundity. Movies are meant to come in all shapes and sizes, and it is up to the critic to decide whether or not they believe that film lived up to their premise, and if it was executed well considering what it is trying to achieve. Andrei Rublev shouldn't be weighed using the same metric as Airplane. Both films can be great in their own way. Having never seen either a Fast and the Furious movie nor a Transformers movie, I imagine critics find that these films, with relatively similar aims, differ qualitatively in the fact that one delivers on the goods, while the other is a jumbled and incomprehensible mess.
Mar 18, 2017 5:17 PM
1 0
crumbsroom
Carlos Diaz

Any critic worth their salt should be aware that not all films aim for profundity. Movies are meant to come in all shapes and sizes, and it is up to the critic to decide whether or not they believe that film lived up to their premise, and if it was executed well considering what it is trying to achieve. Andrei Rublev shouldn't be weighed using the same metric as Airplane. Both films can be great in their own way. Having never seen either a Fast and the Furious movie nor a Transformers movie, I imagine critics find that these films, with relatively similar aims, differ qualitatively in the fact that one delivers on the goods, while the other is a jumbled and incomprehensible mess.

I see what you're saying and I appreciate your respectable opinion. My point was that I dont think that its fully aware of itself like people are saying. Its awkward because it seems to take its themes and characters seriously but just fails at it... if it was consistent with its mindless B-grade content, then I could see your point.. but im just not sold on that... It's like stuck with this awkward medium of B-grade content while also attempting to take its themes and characters seriously.. but it just comes off as super corny and cringey... the biggest fans of the franchise dont see it as B-movie content either
Mar 18, 2017 6:51 PM
0 0
The first couple were simply dumb and targeted at a specific young demographic who thought street racing was the shit. These last few are aggressively in your face stupid. And they're tiresome. I admit sitting through them at the theater but about halfway through the last one I was desperately wanting it to be over. So I mostly spent the remaining time checking out the rest of the audience.
Mar 18, 2017 7:26 PM
0 0
Think about the absurdity of it from an in-universe perspective. Watch the original and then the most recent one back-to-back. o_O

And whoever brought up the Transformers movies, please. F&F movies are pretty damn awful but they have, by several million orders of magnitude, more likable characters with actual chemistry.
Mar 18, 2017 8:15 PM
0 0
IllyriaThink about the absurdity of it from an in-universe perspective. Watch the original and then the most recent one back-to-back. o_O

And whoever brought up the Transformers movies, please. F&F movies are pretty damn awful but they have, by several million orders of magnitude, more likable characters with actual chemistry.

I dont find the characters likable at all in the F&F franchise... I mean what chemistry do they really have? oh they're all badasses with big muscles. big whoop. The writing is just as bad in my opinion... the action might be better in F&F than Transformers but the writing is atrocious in both..
Mar 18, 2017 9:42 PM
0 0
The first film was an entertaining conceit. A group of street racers comes up with the most inefficient and risky way imaginable to rob big rigs on the highway. OK?

I have only caught bits and pieces of the other films. I have a hard time watching these films all the way through. About 10 or 15 minutes and then something snaps and I have to move on to something else.

That and every bro with a Honda with a shitty muffler, fender flares, and goofy lights I see annoyingly reminds me how much of a cultural impact these films have had. I think it's tapping into the displaced masculinity of our age, a desire for ennobled homosociality, a code for masculine virtue (basically, homosociality as loyalty "Ride or Die!").

?
Mar 18, 2017 10:13 PM
0 0
Carlos Diaz
IllyriaThink about the absurdity of it from an in-universe perspective. Watch the original and then the most recent one back-to-back. o_O

I dont find the characters likable at all in the F&F franchise... I mean what chemistry do they really have? oh they're all badasses with big muscles. big whoop. The writing is just as bad in my opinion... the action might be better in F&F than Transformers but the writing is atrocious in both..

You know what does have good chemistry? Breaking Bad.
Mar 18, 2017 10:15 PM
0 0

Surprisingly organically. The first couple of films played as racing films but with a Point Break heist element. As the series stubbornly refused to abandon characters (Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang), the growing cast being more multicultural, and Justin Lin's involvement in Tokyo Drift was instrumental in helping the series redefine itself on a global level. Fast and Furious firmed up the expansive cast, and Fast Five pushed the series more firmly out of street racing and low-level crime stories (theft / drug war stuff) and into more of a sort of millennial diverse Ocean's 11 with cars - crucially, it also added Dwayne Johnson as a foil to the leads. From there, the series really found its calling as a near-satirical escalation of impossible stunts, exciting action, globe-trotting escapism, and beer-commercial "cool."

Also, the series has more and more constructed its multi-ethnic misfits as a "family" and made "family" the overwhelming talked-about theme, even if it's really just a dopey pretext for all of the action blockbuster indulgences (it doesn't even register as insincere - it's too half-baked to be judged on grounds of sincerity).

[Note: I don't think it's an especially good series, but it's sort of endearing, and my God, it's so much better than something like Transformers. For one, you don't want to meteor-bomb humanity as a lost cause after watching one.]
Mar 18, 2017 10:19 PM
0 0
Catbus
Carlos Diaz

You know what does have good chemistry? Breaking Bad.

You're Goddamn Right
Mar 18, 2017 10:31 PM
1 0
I remember I saw the first one and I felt cooler driving my Dodge Stealth back home than I did driving it to the theater.

I think I saw the second one and like the fifth or sixth one. A big cargo plane crashes is what I remember.
All i can say is the ones I have seen generally deliver big. I am not expecting anything deep. Its about cars going fast.
I think they at least try to develop the characters and give them some story. But this franchise gets the same passing
grade I give zombie films. Show me something new and unexpected with zombies. Show a little tongue in cheek and?
have a lot of zombies. Trade out "Fast Cars" where you see zombies and that is all I can ask of a Fast and Furious film.
Mar 18, 2017 10:48 PM
0 0
F&F movies have been a staple guilty pleasure of mine since they first came out. The first is undeniably stupid, but totally entertaining in the same breath. The second and Tokyo Drift has more weight on the stupid part but remain entertaining enough.

The shift in the franchise from street racers who partake in low-level heists using their cars to balls out action movies about a team of the "best drivers in the world" who go up against other teams of drivers is totally insane but worked somehow. The last 3 or so are just fun as hell action movies that have characters that take themselves too seriously but the film is knowing of this fact. All in all, there is no way you should go into a F&F movie thinking you are going to be seeing a 'good' movie, go to see a fun movie with ridiculous and well executed action sequences (and to laugh at Vin Diesel pontificating about the virtues of family).

Bay forgot the formula used by the F&F movies somewhere in between The Rock and the Transformers movies. The transformers movies take themselves too seriously without any sign of knowing this, the characters are totally unlikable and the action sequences are an incoherent assault on the senses.

Mar 18, 2017 11:26 PM
0 0
Clarence BoddickerF&F movies have been a staple guilty pleasure of mine since they first came out. The first is undeniably stupid, but totally entertaining in the same breath. The second and Tokyo Drift has more weight on the stupid part but remain entertaining enough.

The shift in the franchise from street racers who partake in low-level heists using their cars to balls out action movies about a team of the "best drivers in the world" who go up against other teams of drivers is totally insane but worked somehow. The last 3 or so are just fun as hell action movies that have characters that take themselves too seriously but the film is knowing of this fact. All in all, there is no way you should go into a F&F movie thinking you are going to be seeing a 'good' movie, go to see a fun movie with ridiculous and well executed action sequences (and to laugh at Vin Diesel pontificating about the virtues of family).

Bay forgot the formula used by the F&F movies somewhere in between The Rock and the Transformers movies. The transformers movies take themselves too seriously without any sign of knowing this, the characters are totally unlikable and the action sequences are an incoherent assault on the senses.

Ive seen the newer movies and im still not sold that It takes itself "less seriously"...sure the balls out bat shit crazy unbelievable action sequences that dont make any sense definitely give off that impression... But its attempt at humor and its attempt at character themes of family and friendship make me cringe.. idk why people keep saying the characters are likable? how exactly are they likable? They're extremely cookie cutter and dont offer any kind of charm or likability.... and it still seems like they're trying to be serious.. .and the biggest fans of the franchise dont see this as B-grade material... I just dont see why i would recommend something like F&F when i can easily recommend superior action films that actually give a shit about their characters, story, and themes like The Raid, The Raid 2, and Mad Max Fury Road... not to mention the action is much more intense and believable in those films as well.... I dont know... for me personally, I dont go to the movies to shut my brain off for two hours.... I need to something to hold on to that isnt just the mindless actions and explosions
Mar 19, 2017 12:13 AM
0 0
Carlos Diaz I dont go to the movies to shut my brain off for two hours.... I need to something to hold on to that isnt just the mindless actions and explosions

FTR you can have serious thoughts about unserious movies. This isn't me saying you should have serious thoughts about F&F movies, only that you shouldn't rely on this easily dismissive comment as the backbone of your criticism. I guarantee you that there are many people out there that would also call the Raid films mindless, and, as I'm sure you know, they are all very very wrong.

Mar 19, 2017 1:02 AM
0 0
crumbsroom
Carlos Diaz I dont go to the movies to shut my brain off for two hours.... I need to something to hold on to that isnt just the mindless actions and explosions

FTR you can have serious thoughts about unserious movies. This isn't me saying you should have serious thoughts about F&F movies, only that you shouldn't rely on this easily dismissive comment as the backbone of your criticism. I guarantee you that there are many people out there that would also call the Raid films mindless, and, as I'm sure you know, they are all very very wrong.

they are very very wrong lol
Mar 19, 2017 1:11 AM
0 0

I think it's the focus on family that keeps Fast and Furious films leagues ahead of the Transboremers.
But yeah, about that dragging a safe down the Brazilian highway in Fast 5...:O
Mar 19, 2017 1:21 AM
0 0
No way dude, they got a submarine in this cut.
Mar 19, 2017 2:10 AM
1 0