Does Iron Fist have any chance...

Original Poster
... of not being eviscerated for "cultural appropriation", "cultural insensitivity", "white-man's fantasy", or whatever, regardless of whether it's any good or not.
Mar 18, 2017 4:42 AM
0 0
Wooley... of not being eviscerated for "cultural appropriation", "cultural insensitivity", "white-man's fantasy", or whatever, regardless of whether it's any good or not.

I've already seen a backlash-backlash within the last couple of days of people who enjoy the show and are wondering exactly what the critics have been smoking. I haven't seen it myself so I can't say either way. It sounds like a lot of people are giving the show a chance and are liking what they're seeing.

Mar 18, 2017 4:57 AM
0 0
Death Proof
Wooley... of not being eviscerated for "cultural appropriation", "cultural insensitivity", "white-man's fantasy", or whatever, regardless of whether it's any good or not.

I've already seen a backlash-backlash within the last couple of days of people who enjoy the show and are wondering exactly what the critics have been smoking. I haven't seen it myself so I can't say either way. It sounds like a lot of people are giving the show a chance and are liking what they're seeing.

I haven't seen any critics responses yet, I just started watching it.
But as I watch it I'm just like, "uh-oh, people who feel they need to champion phantom transgressions are gonna have a field day with this".
Because, you know, it's not ok to make stories about people from one culture participating in another culture and especially not excelling in another culture.
Mar 18, 2017 5:02 AM
0 0
Does anyone have a link to one of these critical complaints? Because I really can't quite figure out what's going on here.

Is it because Iron Fist continues in the soul-throwback style of Luke Cage? And are these critics familiar with the relationship between the two?
Mar 18, 2017 5:05 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanDoes anyone have a link to one of these critical complaints? ?Because I really can't quite figure out what's going on here.

Is it because Iron Fist continues in the soul-throwback style of Luke Cage? ?And are these critics familiar with the relationship between the two?

I only read an article on Yahoo... I don't remember if it linked to any specific negative reviews. I know if you look at #ironfist on Twitter you can see recent reviews from both casual fans and some semi-pro reviewers praising it, then go back to early March you can see such "informed" people cheering because the show was getting negative reviews, despite those people not having actually seen it. Sort of like when Randy was saying Transformers was the best movie ever but hadn't actually seen it yet.

Also, not sure. I know some of the show's supporters have mentioned the characters' relationship with each other.

I kinda want to binge watch it right now just to piss off whoever that sort of thing would piss off.
Mar 18, 2017 5:18 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanDoes anyone have a link to one of these critical complaints? ?Because I really can't quite figure out what's going on here.

Is it because Iron Fist continues in the soul-throwback style of Luke Cage? ?And are these critics familiar with the relationship between the two?

It's a white guy who is a Kung Fu master and the spiritual successor in a line of warriors, even though he is caucasian.
Mar 18, 2017 5:19 AM
0 0
Wooley

It's a white guy who is a Kung Fu master and the spiritual successor in a line of warriors, even though he is caucasian.

If I had the energy I would ask the angry detractors how come they're racist towards native Americans since Captain America was portrayed by some white guy instead of a proud Chippewa indian and they never said shit.

But I'm just too goddam tired. And I want a donut.

Mar 18, 2017 5:22 AM
0 0
WooleyIt's a white guy who is a Kung Fu master and the spiritual successor in a line of warriors, even though he is caucasian.

So like The Bride and the Karate Kid?
Mar 18, 2017 5:24 AM
0 0
I keep reading articles about how culturally insensitive Marvel is and how they keep making all these terrible racist and sexist gaffes.
You know, like evolving The Avengers from its original group to a team that is more than 50% black, female, and/or android, and even more so once Captain Marvel and The Wasp are in. Like in Doctor Strange, making a white character (Mordo) black and a male character (The Ancient One) female and, shame of all shames, actually having an Asian actor play a character in Asia, while making the main character's female love interest a brilliant physician. Totally unprogressive.
Mar 18, 2017 5:25 AM
0 0
Death Proof
Wooley

If I had the energy I would ask the angry detractors how come they're racist towards native Americans since Captain America was portrayed by some white guy instead of a proud Chippewa indian and they never said shit.

But I'm just too goddam tired. And I want a donut.

Mmmm... donuts...
Mar 18, 2017 5:26 AM
0 0
Death ProofAnd I want a donut.

Are we cupcakephobic?

Check your pastry privilege, officer.
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
WooleyIt's a white guy who is a Kung Fu master and the spiritual successor in a line of warriors, even though he is caucasian.

Something like that.
0 0
Janson Jinnistan

Yes. And predates the Karate kid by 10 years and Kill Bill by 30.

I was kind of rooting for Hal Sparks to be Iron Fist... (you may remember him from the awkward elevator scene in Spider-Man 2) he's a huge fan of the comic and is an amateur martial artist with belts in Tae Kwon Do and Wushu. Unfortunately he's too old now (mid 40's) but if they had done the show 10 years ago, he would have been perfect.
Mar 18, 2017 5:29 AM
0 0
WooleyI keep reading articles about how culturally insensitive Marvel is and how they keep making all these terrible racist and sexist gaffes.
You know, like evolving The Avengers from its original group to a team that is more than 50% black, female, and/or android, and even more so once Captain Marvel and The Wasp are in. Like in Doctor Strange, making a white character (Mordo) black and a male character (The Ancient One) female and, shame of all shames, actually having an Asian actor play a character in Asia, while making the main character's female love interest a brilliant physician. Totally unprogressive.

Mar 18, 2017 5:30 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Death ProofAnd I want a donut.

Are we cupcakephobic?

Check your pastry privilege, officer.

#DonutLivesMatter

Mar 18, 2017 5:30 AM
0 0
There's a difference between "cultural appropriation" and cultural exchange or participation. This is why I'm also a little tired of hearing the term. I think I saw recently where a model got in trouble for doing a shoot in a geisha setting or something. That's not appropriation, but cultural appreciation. It would only be appropriating the culture if it was attempting to claim ownership over that culture. Someone engaging in Asian martial arts is only appropriating that culture if they try to act as if they have some special or original claim to those arts, like if the West began giving new English names to those various disciplines.

In music, appropriation occurs when people refuse to acknowledge the original contributions of the source, like rock fans refusing to acknowledge the blues, or punk fans refusing to acknowledge ska, or as we see sometimes these days where white hip-hop fans deny the specific culture that produced it.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that Tom Cruise wasn't actually The Last Samurai, but Ken Watanabe. I mean, I sympathize with those who didn't want to bother watching the film, but people should know what they're talking about.

Indignation is the hottest drug on the market.
Mar 18, 2017 5:47 AM
0 0
Dunno if this is the place to talk about the show or not, so I'll just throw my comments here...

First off, I'm only 2 episodes in and I won't/can't go in to spoilers, so don't worry.

Second I've watched all of the Marvel Netflix series so far and have enjoyed them to varying degrees (loved daredevil S 1 and 2, Really enjoyed Luck Cage - it got a bit corny after the second half, but still enjoyable in my opinion and enjoyed Jessica Jones) so I think this series is kinda directed at me.

First two episodes are very solid they do a good job of laying the groundwork and introducing the main characters and start the plot rolling.?It's way too early to start commenting on the story, character arcs etc, but still held my attention.

The characters are interesting and while some are kinda one dimensional so far it's still very early on.

Rand's backstory is interesting and very different and episode 2 was an interesting turn from where I thought the show was going. Didn't really see that angle coming and they handle very well.

My plan is to limit myself to 2 episodes a day, as normally I blast through the entire series in like 2 weeks. I work shift work, so I won't be watching any for a couple days now as I'm on nights. I'll try to update as I got. Most likely get to eps 3/4 within the next week.
Mar 18, 2017 5:48 AM
0 0
Been pleasantly surprised by the show so far. I can honestly say I've enjoyed it more than Jessica Jones or Luke Cage...so far.?

I will say that I do find it curious that diversity usually ends in Hollywood with filmmakers adding a black dude and a white chick(I know, I'll stop trying to be so politically correct). It would be interesting if they gave the people choreographing the fights an actual role.
Mar 18, 2017 5:49 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanThere's a difference between "cultural appropriation" and cultural exchange or participation. ?This is why I'm also a little tired of hearing the term. ?I think I saw recently where a model got in trouble for doing a shoot in a geisha setting or something. ?That's not appropriation, but cultural appreciation. ?It would only be appropriating the culture if it was attempting to claim ownership over that culture. ?Someone engaging in Asian martial arts is only appropriating that culture if they try to act as if they have some special or original claim to those arts, like if the West began giving new English names to those various disciplines.

In music, appropriation occurs when people refuse to acknowledge the original contributions of the source, like rock fans refusing to acknowledge the blues, or punk fans refusing to acknowledge ska, or as we see sometimes these days where white hip-hop fans deny the specific culture that produced it.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that Tom Cruise wasn't actually The Last Samurai, but Ken Watanabe. ?I mean, I sympathize with those who didn't want to bother watching the film, but people should know what they're talking about.

Indignation is the hottest drug on the market.

Yes. ?Tell it.
Mar 18, 2017 7:56 AM
0 0
James MacKinnonDunno if this is the place to talk about the show or not, so I'll just throw my comments here...

First off, I'm only 2 episodes in and I won't/can't go in to spoilers, so don't worry.

Second I've watched all of the Marvel Netflix series so far and have enjoyed them to varying degrees (loved daredevil S 1 and 2, Really enjoyed Luck Cage - it got a bit corny after the second half, but still enjoyable in my opinion and enjoyed Jessica Jones) so I think this series is kinda directed at me.

First two episodes are very solid they do a good job of laying the groundwork and introducing the main characters and start the plot rolling.?It's way too early to start commenting on the story, character arcs etc, but still held my attention.

The characters are interesting and while some are kinda one dimensional so far it's still very early on.

Rand's backstory is interesting and very different and episode 2 was an interesting turn from where I thought the show was going. Didn't really see that angle coming and they handle very well.

My plan is to limit myself to 2 episodes a day, as normally I blast through the entire series in like 2 weeks. I work shift work, so I won't be watching any for a couple days now as I'm on nights. I'll try to update as I got. Most likely get to eps 3/4 within the next week.

Well, I'm 3 in, but I still agree with you.
Mar 18, 2017 7:57 AM
0 0