Netflix is doing away with star reviews

Little AshI kind stopped rating movies on there just because at some point, I always felt inconsistent. Three or four stars could mean a lot of different things hem rating. And that didn't help with the "it's so bad it's good genre," which utterly confused my brain when I try to rate it. Should it be a 1 or a 4?

The right way to do use Netflix's rating is to rate based on your raw enjoyment. 4 stars is "Really liked". Did you really like that "it's so bad it's good" movie? Rate it 4 stars. It's not about the movies technical or artistic merits. It's purely about how much you enjoyed viewing it.
Mar 20, 2017 1:34 AM
0 0
Little Ash
theVictorianI think when you're dealing with some sort of public rating system on a subjective medium, you need to employ a weighting algorithm. Ideally you show two ratings. One an unweighted average and one that shows what people think who like the things that you like.

My recollection is that is how the Netflix system currently operates (and other people in the thread are confirming that to be the case).
I kind stopped rating movies on there just because at some point, I always felt inconsistent. Three or four stars could mean a lot of different things hem rating. And that didn't help with the "it's so bad it's good genre," which utterly confused my brain when I try to rate it. Should it be a 1 or a 4?

I'd always rate by how much entertainment something gave me, but I'd dock a star for something perfect like Miami Connection as it earning five stars seems wrong somehow.
Mar 20, 2017 3:28 AM
0 0