Terence Trent D'Arby should have had a career.

Original Poster
He was pretty great. Raspy voice, good looks, and he could move - but, we already had Prince. No room for Terence Trent D'Arby.

Also? See Eagle Eye Cherry.

Mar 17, 2017 1:17 PM
0 0
This is half of a great video. TTD'A in the scenes with the girl are incredibly good. But, all of a sudden, we see how cheap this video is with the staged singing.
Mar 17, 2017 1:21 PM
0 0
Reading the thread title has made Wishing Well start playing in my head and now I want to punch something.
Mar 17, 2017 1:35 PM
0 0
ej
wishing well / kiss 'n' tell is a pretty solid multisyllabic rhyme, but I don't know if it's something you should build a whole song around.

Also, I was really into that chick whenever that video came on. It was his real girlfriend, iirc.
Mar 17, 2017 1:36 PM
0 0
FenceReading the thread title has made Wishing Well start playing in my head and now I want to punch something.

It's a pretty good song on whole.
Mar 17, 2017 1:46 PM
0 0
Moses
FenceReading the thread title has made Wishing Well start playing in my head and now I want to punch something.

It's a pretty good song on whole.

It's less about the song itself than it is about the frequency with which it was played. It dropped during my formative MTV-watching days and they were clearly trying to make him a thing. One can only hear that synth pan flute so many times before being driven to dark deeds.
Mar 17, 2017 1:57 PM
0 0
ej
ejIt was his real girlfriend, iirc.

Sorry. I should have condensed this to gf irl iirc, I know.
Mar 17, 2017 2:01 PM
0 0
ej
It's also worth noting how unfortunate it is that his name always brought to mind a second-tier fast food restaurant, and that there was no way not to imagine that stupid oversized cowboy hat on his head every time you saw that video.

I mean, how do you explain the career of the far less-authentic soul-singer Michael McDonald?
Mar 17, 2017 2:14 PM
0 0
ej
ejIt was his real girlfriend, iirc.

Sorry. I should have condensed this to gf irl iirc, I know.

EJ, listen, I've already put myself out there by making this thread. I cannot be the supportive friend you need in this thread. Any other time in any other thread, I am there for you. But...I can't help you here.
Mar 17, 2017 2:35 PM
0 0
This thread made me realize that I had no comprehension of Moses' musical tastes. Now I wish I hadn't read it, because I see him as someone who thinks Eagle Eye Cherry was underrated. I'm just glad Looka isn't here to read this.
Mar 17, 2017 3:08 PM
0 0
ej
Moses- but, we already had Prince. No room for Terence Trent D'Arby.
Moses, do you think if Alanis Morrisette, Shania Twain, Natalie Imbruglia and Lisa Loeb had had a lighter shade of hair that there would have been more room in the market for the woefully undervalued 4 Non Blondes?
Mar 17, 2017 4:45 PM
0 0
ej
Also, for your consideration: Pitbull. Rock and Roll Hall of Famer? Yes or no?
Mar 17, 2017 4:46 PM
0 0
ZubenThis thread made me realize that I had no comprehension of Moses' musical tastes. Now I wish I hadn't read it, because I see him as someone who thinks Eagle Eye Cherry was underrated. I'm just glad Looka isn't here to read this.

Eagle Eye Cherry is overrated then?
Mar 17, 2017 5:02 PM
0 0
Moses
ZubenThis thread made me realize that I had no comprehension of Moses' musical tastes. Now I wish I hadn't read it, because I see him as someone who thinks Eagle Eye Cherry was underrated. I'm just glad Looka isn't here to read this.

Regardless of how he is rated, he is a shit musician and shouldn't be discussed.
Mar 17, 2017 5:04 PM
0 0
ej
Moses- but, we already had Prince. No room for Terence Trent D'Arby.

Moses, do you think if Alanis Morrisette, Shania Twain, Natalie Imbruglia and Lisa Loeb had had a lighter shade of hair that there would have been more room in the market for the woefully undervalued 4 Non Blondes?

I feel ready to go to bat for Natalie Imbruglia but...yeah, I don't like her music.
Mar 17, 2017 5:05 PM
0 0
Zuben
Moses

Regardless of how he is rated, he is a shit musician and shouldn't be discussed.

Did you go to finishing school with him or something?
Mar 17, 2017 5:06 PM
0 0
Moses
Zuben
Moses

Fuck your mom.
Mar 17, 2017 5:18 PM
0 0
Zuben
Moses
Zuben
Moses

Fuck your mom.

Your hatred of Eagle Eye Cherry would just make more sense if you couldn't fully articulate it and wanted to constantly blow him.
Mar 17, 2017 5:28 PM
0 0
Moses
Zuben
Moses
Zuben
Moses

Fuck your mom.

Your hatred of Eagle Eye Cherry would just make more sense if you couldn't fully articulate it and wanted to constantly blow him.

I don't actually hate him, I just think he's really banal and liking him enough to bring him up as underrated years after his career ended is indicative of shit taste.
Mar 17, 2017 5:33 PM
0 0
Zuben
Moses
Zuben
Moses
Zuben
Moses

Fuck your mom.

I don't actually hate him, I just think he's really banal and liking him enough to bring him up as underrated years after his career ended is indicative of shit taste.

Well:

1. Terence Trent D'Arby > Eagle Eye Cherry. Let us make no mistake.

2. I don't feel that I have to appeal to authority here, but Terence Trent D'Arby is a critical darling and for good reason. Still, they'll probably point out that he's no Prince.

3. Terence Trent D'Arby is no Prince.
Mar 17, 2017 5:38 PM
0 0