Controversial Opinion/Discussion thread

Oxnard Montalvo
David BaileyThere is something seriously wrong with any grown man who enjoys Anime.

even Hayao Miyazaki? surely you jest

Just watched Your Name (Makoto Shinkai)...Okay, I liked it.
I enjoyed the story, I only tolerated the anime. Kidding. It^ was an over-statement on my part... but anime does get a little weird though.

Mar 18, 2017 10:38 PM
0 0
David Bailey
Oxnard Montalvo
David BaileyThere is something seriously wrong with any grown man who enjoys Anime.

even Hayao Miyazaki? surely you jest

Just watched Your Name (Makoto Shinkai)...Okay, I liked it.
I enjoyed the story, I only tolerated the anime. Kidding. ?It^ was an over-statement on my part... but anime does get a little weird though.

Which brings up another "controversy"...

Anime = cartoon. The end. Fin. There's a whole psychotically-aggrandizing subculture dedicated to segregating the two, just so weebtakus feel special. They're the "faded graphic tee" of fandom.
Mar 19, 2017 2:45 PM
0 0
I prefer 28 Days Later over Romero's Night of the Living Dead.
Mar 20, 2017 9:16 PM
0 0
The Guy
Roger Moore is the definitive Bond.

It's insane the amount of vitriol that gets sent his way these days, Moore is great. But as much as I love his take on the character, I can't call him the definitive Bond because he isn't enough of a bon vivant, this aspect of the character unfortunately faded away after Connery left. What happened to scenes where Bond would casually comment on the year of Dom Perignon or eat caviar? Moore would be the definitive Bond if the writers hadn't forgotten to make him a man of fine tastes.
Mar 20, 2017 9:53 PM
0 0
The YETI
Mickey Business
The Tall ManJust replace "black" with "white" and "Bond girl" with "girlfriend".

Ok, this is precisely why your reasoning makes no sense. Racism isn't this transitive mathematical equation where you can just replace the colors with one another and everything is the same. Racism is a function of power, which Get Out expresses beautifully and which Live and Let Die also expresses, albeit in a much different way, with its stereotypical depictions of brown island folk and their hokey religion. It's classical colonial racism.

Racism isn't a function of power and the function of power covers many more facets of human identity than race.

Racism is attitudinal prejudice against and behavioral discrimination toward a person or persons perceived to be members of a different "race". Anyone can be racist.

Racism becomes increasingly problematic as it becomes systematic. As people in positions of power collectively institutionalize prejudice and discrimination it becomes noticeably oppressive. Every cancer, however, starts off very small. Surviving cancer requires identifying and treating it as early as possible.

Imagine if we refused to diagnose cancer until it reached stage 3 or stage 4. "No, what you have identified is small and has not yet systematically spread through the body. This is not cancer!" The sad fact of being human is that we're all cancerous fucks. The re-definition of racism by conflating it with power let's too many people off the hook, "I can't be racist; my group isn't in charge."

So, yes we can and should do substitution tests to determine if statements are untoward. Such tests are not definitive, and context counts crucially in cases of interpretation and evaluation, however, substitution tests can be probative. If, for example, you're thinking about saying something to a girl you think is hot, and you think for a moment about how you would feel if someone said that about your mother or sister and you think better of it, this is a successful use of substitution. The same goes for racially charged language.

Please note: I have not stake here in whether Live and Let Die is racist (uh, yeah, it's pretty obviously racist). Moreover, I have no particular interest in what The Tall Man is proving or thinks he is proving. My only stake here is the lazy reduction of racism to power which grants an invisible privilege to the oppressed (because they can never be racist) which prevents us from seeing racism before it's too late (Oh look, here's the new hegemony), and shrinks our circle of empathy because it allows the refusal of perspective taking by substitution.

Ok, but Get Out isn't about prejudice. (Crash is a film about prejudice. The message is "it's bad".) It's about something else entirely.

I didn't say racism is *the* (sole) function of power, I said it is *a* function of power. Of course it involves prejudice, but it isn't just that. What we're observing in Get Out isn't mere prejudice. It doesn't even seem evident that it extends from anything resembling personal prejudice. What we're seeing is the wholesale exploitation and theft of black minds and bodies. It isn't that nobody in the film realizes, "hey! black people are people, too!" The horror of the film isn't that, like, people are too quick to judge without realizing that we're all human beings just tryin' to get by (the kind of mealy-mouthed, weak-tea bullshit that Crash deals in), the horror lies in what one class of people does to another when they have power over them. They don't do it because of personal prejudice. They do it because they can. It's about power.

This is qualitatively different from some random asshole thinking that Asians are bad drivers, or that black people suck at tipping. There's that kind of racism, then there's Racism with a capital R: exploitation and subjugation based on racial categories, which is clearly (yes, among other things) a function of power. (Another function of power is the creation and imposition of racial categories themselves, but that's for another post.) This is high-level racism that shouldn't be conflated with mere prejudice. This kind of racism exists not because people are too quick to judge, or whatever, it exists because of the wildly uneven distribution of power in our society. Yes, it does seem benign to say "everyone can be racist," but don't the lower orders have a better reason to feel resentment towards those who exploit them? It's far better to ask what sorts of things (like scapegoating) motivate racial prejudice. (That's if we're talking about prejudice, which the film isn't. Crash talks about prejudice. Crash sucks.)

Tall Man seems to be trying to say that if Live and Let Die is racist for having all the black characters depicted as evil, then so too is Get Out for having all the white characters exclusively, one-dimensionally evil. This isn't so, partially because by making all the white characters bad, the film subverts the racist White Savior trope that plagues other potentially great black films. You're right, though, that substitutions do help: Get Out would be utter nonsense if the races were reversed. This is because of who holds the real power in our society. (I really hate Crash.)

TLDR: There's personal prejudice, and then there's the racism (a qualitatively different phenomenon from racism qua personal prejudice) enacted by those who hold the real power in society. Get Out depicts the latter. Also fuck Crash.
Mar 21, 2017 3:10 AM
0 0
This is more prevalent in TV series but:

I am sick to fucking death of hearing the phrase "queer-baiting." It's so often bandied about by heterosexual women whining that their hot male ships aren't canon. It's hardly ever in reference to sapphic relations or relationships between unattractive/older men. It's obviously a "progressive" veil for fetishization of male queerness. I also hate that any remote affection or intimacy between attractive men absolutely must result in butt-fucking or else it's HOMOPHOBIA! Rabble rabble!

Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck off, you transparent hags. Sorry.
Mar 21, 2017 5:18 AM
0 0
I one at a piece of chicken, In front of a live chicken.
Mar 21, 2017 6:00 AM
0 0
Black PhilipI one at a piece of chicken, In front of a live chicken.

You sick fuck
Mar 21, 2017 7:24 AM
0 0
Netflix Marvel shows are vastly overrated. Daredevil has it's moments, and David Tennant's turn in Jessica Jones is worthwhile, but they rely too much on filler. There are better crime dramas(Narcos) and martial arts shows(Marco Polo) that are worth your time, but none of them benefit from being comic book properties.
Mar 21, 2017 7:34 AM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsI prefer 28 Days Later over Romero's Night of the Living Dead.

I prefer 28 Weeks Later over 28 Days Later.

But anyway, I think I made a thread years ago with some controversial opinions. Let's see if I can dig it up.

But in the meantime, one of my main controversial opinions is that I generally don't care about Scorsese.
Mar 21, 2017 1:10 PM
0 0
I'm not gonna browse all those old forums, so here's the gist of my "controversial opinions" thread...

I don't like The Matrix. Yes, the original.

I didn't care for The Seventh Seal.

The Village >>>> The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable

I wouldn't hesitate to rate Terminator 3 equal, or maybe even over Terminator 2.

...and like I said above, overall, I don't care about Scorsese.

I think those are the most controversial.
Mar 21, 2017 1:24 PM
0 0
The Guy
Black PhilipI one at a piece of chicken, In front of a live chicken.

You sick fuck

Well that's your controversial opinion dude.
Mar 21, 2017 3:09 PM
0 0
Also, I didn't care for Kubrick's The Shining.
Mar 21, 2017 6:44 PM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsAlso, I didn't care for Kubrick's The Shining.

Neither did Stephen King for that matter.
Mar 22, 2017 12:19 AM
0 0
Black Philip

He needs to shut the fuck up.

And I hated Darabont's ending for The Mist. Fucking horseshit way to end a movie.
Mar 22, 2017 12:27 AM
0 0
Death Proof
Black Philip

He needs to shut the fuck up.

And I hated Darabont's ending for The Mist. Fucking horseshit way to end a movie.

Well the writer of A Clockwork Orange didn't like Kubrick's ending as well. Kubrick did his own thing.
Mar 22, 2017 12:44 AM
0 0
Death ProofAnd I hated Darabont's ending for The Mist. Fucking horseshit way to end a movie.

Okay, that's one of my favourite endings.
Mar 22, 2017 1:22 AM
0 0
The Tall Man
Death ProofAnd I hated Darabont's ending for The Mist. Fucking horseshit way to end a movie.

Okay, that's one of my favourite endings.

I agree. The movie had an amazing ending. It was much better than the book's ending which felt lazy and unfinished.
Mar 22, 2017 2:35 AM
0 0
Black Philip

I haven't watched King's movie version of The Shining. I feel like I'd hate it a lot more.
Mar 22, 2017 2:37 AM
0 0
I can't stand Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Mar 22, 2017 3:59 AM
0 0