The 2017 College Basketball Thread

I had Rhode Island beating Oregon. The way the game played out was one of those moral victories where you feel right to have predicted an upset even though it didn't work out.

The eastern region is completely blown apart for me now. I'm sure my pool has a bunch of other people who picked Villanova too, so I'm probably not too hurt by that. I'm rooting so hard for South Carolina right now for Wisconsin's sake, but I also think if Duke gets knocked out, it's probably a wash on that region and no harm is done.

I have Gonzaga winning it all. Despite Gonzaga being a 1 seed that spent a lot of time ranked number 1 in the country, I think I'm the only one in my pool who made that pick. So if Gonzaga wins it, I think that means I've probably taken the pool by default despite my so-so record elsewhere.

I have Purdue and UCLA as my other two final four contenders. I'm certain I'm the only one with that arrangement. Hey, they're still in it. If that comes to fruition, I'm confident I've got it locked up too.
Mar 20, 2017 2:47 AM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionI had Rhode Island beating Oregon. The way the game played out was one of those moral victories where you feel right to have predicted an upset even though it didn't work out.

The eastern region is completely blown apart for me now. I'm sure my pool has a bunch of other people who picked Villanova too, so I'm probably not too hurt by that. I'm rooting so hard for South Carolina right now for Wisconsin's sake, but I also think if Duke gets knocked out, it's probably a wash on that region and no harm is done.

I have Gonzaga winning it all. Despite Gonzaga being a 1 seed that spent a lot of time ranked number 1 in the country, I think I'm the only one in my pool who made that pick. So if Gonzaga wins it, I think that means I've probably taken the pool by default despite my so-so record elsewhere.

I have Purdue and UCLA as my other two final four contenders. I'm certain I'm the only one with that arrangement. Hey, they're still in it. If that comes to fruition, I'm confident I've got it locked up too.

I had URI as well. And that was clearly the right side.

The officiating was so bad this weekend that I no longer trust the NCAA to put on a fair tournament. Cinderella was just getting brained by bad calls everywhere. In the URI/Oregon game the announcers kept saying how "close" to fouling Dylan Ennis was when he had 3 fouls early in the second half. He got his 4th foul at least 4 times that jumped off the screen and?by the 3rd and 4th one the announcers were actually giving him credit for knowing where the line was and never crossing it. Or, you know, the officials just didn't want to take Oregon's best player off the floor when they were down 10.

The Ark/UNC game was equally atrocious. Ark had a shot clearly blocked. The ball came out of the shooters hand with proper rotation and all of a sudden the backspin was gone and it had sidespin. They even went to the monitor and somehow came out saying UNC ball. Then UNC runs over a defender, takes 4 steps, everyone stops playing and they get an off reb and score. WHAT? Berry even used his off arm. After he did it he stopped and just threw the ball after walking with it. I was rooting for UNC and I was just ashamed.

Over and over again egregiously poor officiating completely altered games. And its one thing to have uneven officiating, its entirely another to have ALL the missed calls go one way. And yet that's what I saw time and time again.
Mar 20, 2017 3:06 PM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionI had Rhode Island beating Oregon. The way the game played out was one of those moral victories where you feel right to have predicted an upset even though it didn't work out.

I think the East is blown for a lot of people. I picked early upsets in that region - had three of the four Sweet 16 teams losing in the first round - that led to Villanova and Duke meeting in the Elite 8. Not so much.

I have UCLA in the Final Four but I had Louisville beating Purdue in the Elite 8. At least I can get some points most people won't have if Purdue beats Kansas? It doesn't really matter. I have Arizona going all the way and I'm already behind one other person in my pool who does, so my best case is probably second.

Oddly, in my pool, Gonzaga was the most common pick (three out of 15).
Mar 20, 2017 11:23 PM
0 0
I spoke with the person running our pool about how the championship picks broke down. The distribution is pretty diverse.

6 people picked North Carolina
6 people picked Kansas
4 people picked Villanova
2 people picked Arizona
2 people picked Duke
2 people picked Florida (why?)
1 person picked Louisville
1 person picked Gonzaga (That's me.)
1 person picked Kentucky
1 person picked Wisconsin (lol)

Mar 22, 2017 5:57 AM
0 0
This Gonzaga game is hard to watch.
Mar 24, 2017 1:52 AM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionI spoke with the person running our pool about how the championship picks broke down. The distribution is pretty diverse.

6 people picked North Carolina
6 people picked Kansas
4 people picked Villanova
2 people picked Arizona
2 people picked Duke
2 people picked Florida (why?)
1 person picked Louisville
1 person picked Gonzaga (That's me.)
1 person picked Kentucky
1 person picked Wisconsin (lol)

Turns out that Florida is ranked 3rd by KenPom after the first weekend of the tourney. I withdraw my puzzlement.
Mar 24, 2017 1:54 AM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionThis Gonzaga game is hard to watch.

The refs just screwed up a major call. It's up for review, but there doesn't appear to be any way to reasonably resolve it. This is going to mar the game.
Mar 24, 2017 1:59 AM
0 0
Free throw shooting is killing Wisconsin.
Mar 25, 2017 2:58 AM
0 0
*falls out of chair*
Mar 25, 2017 4:28 AM
0 0
Well that's a bullshit call to start OT.
Mar 25, 2017 4:35 AM
0 0
Sorry dude.
Mar 25, 2017 4:53 AM
0 0
I can't handle these soul destroying games.?
Mar 25, 2017 4:53 AM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionI can't handle these soul destroying games.?

Cut my life into pieces.
Mar 25, 2017 4:57 AM
0 0
The Badgers have lost in excruciating fashion 3 of the past 4 years deep in the tourney. The one where that wasn't the case, the Duke championship game, was a close game that was painful in its own-right.

Outside of maybe Arizona, I don't think there's another team that's been treated to this much torment lately.
Mar 25, 2017 3:46 PM
0 0
How many fucking kids does Rick Barry have, anyways?
Mar 26, 2017 12:51 AM
0 0
PaulsonHow many fucking kids does Rick Barry have, anyways?

He practices a sexual technique that's been called the granny style of coitus. It isn't pretty, but the results speak for themselves. One can only wonder how many kids Shaq would have if he tried it.
Mar 26, 2017 4:29 AM
0 0
Maye has NBA-worthy eyebrows.
Mar 26, 2017 10:49 PM
0 0
wirthlingMaye has NBA-worthy eyebrows.

Shut up, wirthling, Kentucky and North Carolina are playing, ffs.
Mar 26, 2017 10:54 PM
0 0
OK, Humphries' eyebrows aren't too shabby, either.
Mar 26, 2017 11:04 PM
0 0
I would comment about De'Aaron Fox's hair but I think you all already know how much I love De'Aaron Fox's hair.
Mar 26, 2017 11:09 PM
0 0